Notices

Hondata vs. AEM EMS

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata vs. AEM EMS

i have been looking at both of these systems, and cant decide which one is better, i have a obd 2 integra, going turbo, street driven, what do you guys recommend?
Old 02-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata vs. AEM EMS (R THIS)

My turn to be the jerk-
I recommend the "search" button...
Seriously, this topid has been thorougly covered.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Better = AEM EMS
Cheaper = Hondata

although you would have to convert to OBD 1 if you went Hondata which will cost about $170 for the harness and $150 or more for the ECU then you have to chip which is $50.

Either System will do, the EMS is easier to setup (plug it in and go) hondata requires converting to OBD 1, the Hondata is easier to tune.

Choose the one which your tuner is most comfortable with.

[Modified by foozball-26, 6:10 PM 2/12/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 01:22 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Hondata vs. AEM EMS (foozball-26)

Better = AEM EMS
Cheaper = Hondata
your whole post is backwards.

hondata is easier, ems is cheaper (well it was cheaper) and more complex. i think Hondata is "better" suited to most applications and users.

Old 02-12-2003, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Hondata vs. AEM EMS (falconGSR)

i always thought that hondata, was a little better, but AEm was easier to tune, a little cheaper, and you didnt need the jumper harness.. i know a fair bit about hondata, but it seems like everyone is leaning towards AEM now a days, i dunno if its just becasue its new, or is it truly better? i need to order a management system this week, or next, and i dont know which to choose, if i was asked a month ago, it would be hondata no doubt, but now i dont know
Old 02-12-2003, 02:09 PM
What is this crap?

i always thought that hondata, was a little better, but AEm was easier to tune, a little cheaper, and you didnt need the jumper harness.. i know a fair bit about hondata, but it seems like everyone is leaning towards AEM now a days, i dunno if its just becasue its new, or is it truly better? i need to order a management system this week, or next, and i dont know which to choose, if i was asked a month ago, it would be hondata no doubt, but now i dont know
if you're an engineer or techie type, get the AEM EMS otherwise hondata is better suited to most apps.

i've used both and thats my opinion. I own aem ems and i like it a lot but it can be formidable to learn to use. The less people who buy the EMS, the less people I have bugging me from honda-tech. I think Hondata's autotune feature was directly implemented cause of the attention that AEM's automapping got.

Old 02-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After releashing the autotune and romulator feature there is no reason to go with the aem anymore. Hondata is the easiest standalone i have tuned with, hands down. Motormatrix is close to 600whp with honda, how much more can you ask from a standalone?
Old 02-12-2003, 02:43 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: Hondata vs. AEM EMS (boosted hybrid)

how much more can you ask from a standalone?
you can ask for the long list of features that the AEM EMS provides over Hondata, most of which do not appeal to the average honda turbo user, like traction control (not 100% functional yet) and antilag, integrated boost control with closed loop feedback, ability to fire multiple sets of injectors, control outputs for things like methanol and nitrous injection (both switched output and PWM "analog" style), separate nitrous fuel mapping for dry setups, multiple o2 sensors, EGT fuel trim per cylinder, fuel trim in general per cylinder, auto tranny convertor lockup, integrated datalogging (without laptop), direct fire ignition control (1 coil per cylinder), knock retard (just like J&S) which can add fuel as well as retard timing, integrated 2step rev limiter.

i probly missed some stuff.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I just ordered my EMS today.

I have a pretty cool sig, dont you guys think
Old 02-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Better = AEM EMS
Cheaper = Hondata

your whole post is backwards.

hondata is easier, ems is cheaper (well it was cheaper) and more complex. i think Hondata is "better" suited to most applications and users.
how do you figure my post was backwards?

the EMS is $1300, Hondata is around $700 + the extras which makes it around $1000

however the EMS has way more features than Hondata thus making it BETTER.

you can interpret better many different ways, I see it as more advanced and more features. Hondata could be better since it is easier.

the easier to setup means AEM is plug n play not convert to obd1 then tune.

[Modified by foozball-26, 6:09 PM 2/12/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been there, done that. My haltech e6s-10 did everything you listed above. It was a nightmare trying to get the car to run right for the first two months. Forget the other features, i cared more about just being able to drive my car than to tinker with those features. Simplicity is the best for a street car, and hondata wins hands down.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:43 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: Hondata vs. AEM EMS (foozball-26)

the EMS is $1300, Hondata is around $700 + the extras which makes it around $1000
hondata with the programmability on par with the EMS is $1600+
Old 02-12-2003, 05:44 PM
What is this crap?

Been there, done that. My haltech e6s-10 did everything you listed above. It was a nightmare trying to get the car to run right for the first two months.
Boy that sucks. It took me about 2 hours to make my car drivable with the ems. going from never used it to driving to work.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been there, done that. My haltech e6s-10 did everything you listed above. It was a nightmare trying to get the car to run right for the first two months.

Boy that sucks. It took me about 2 hours to make my car drivable with the ems. going from never used it to driving to work.
hahaha
Old 02-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, last time i checked Haltech and AEM werent the same. The haltech takes a dedicated wire harness, ignition set-up, sensors, etc. I started from no maps, no help and the car not cranking to having the car fully run under boost with a shitty greddy air/fuel gauge. Point is the AEM is plug and play, its simple to use. I went with Haltech because there wasnt other options on the market at the time. There is tech support from AEM if you need help, call up Haltech and ask them about installing their system on a honda...that is if you can even get them on the phone. If you want to start sounding so high and mighty then go ahead and install a dfi, haltech, etc from scratch with no help.

For most people on this site tuning their own car is not an option. With the Hondata systems its cheaper for those people since they are not doing their own tuning. Oh, adding up all my costs for Hondata i have 1500.00 into the entire system with the new s200 and romulator upgrades.

I am not trying to pick any fights with you Falcon GSR, but the fact remains that if you dont want to tune your car yourself then Hondata is the cheaper option. If you want to have all the options of the AEM then go with AEM and have someone tune it for you. The basic s100 system with boost is all most people on here need for an ems.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats where i get $1000 for the hondata most will never tune thier own car so why buy the 4b or s200 w/ all the goodies

we can go back and forth forever as other threads have so lets leave it at:

get the system either you or your tuner are most comfortable with.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:08 PM
What is this crap?

Hmm, last time i checked Haltech and AEM werent the same. The haltech takes a dedicated wire harness, ignition set-up, sensors, etc.
so why did you bring the haltech into the mix if it wasnt comparable? i am not picking any fights and not saying one system is better over the other.

I am not trying to pick any fights with you Falcon GSR, but the fact remains that if you dont want to tune your car yourself then Hondata is the cheaper option.
if you've got 1500 in the hondata, then how is it cheaper than AEM EMS? with all due respect, you make no sense.

no, no fights, just facts. trying to disspell any misunderstandings. these systems are not cheap and people need to know what they're getting into before they drop a load of cash.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I brought Haltech into the mix since you were listing tons of features that the ems had. I experienced numerous problems just getting the Haltech to work right with the ignition set-up i was using. I was merely saying that all those wonderful features were a waste in my case. I was finally content just getting my car to run with its full potential with the Haltech, all those features never got used.

I actually agree with you that the AEM is probably the best standalone for Honda's with the compatiability with the stock wire harness, sensors, etc and its long list of features. The haltech features like anti-lag and boost control almost never worked right, it took a couple of hours of tweaking till we got those two features working on my friends rx7. Now saying that, the AEM is alot more complicated than the Hondata. I personally like simplicty with street cars, the more gadgets i add the more i seem to have little problems here and there.

I am a tuner for Hondata's in my area, and soon to be dealer. I spent the money for the tunable system so i could tune other people's lesser stage 2, 3 and s100 and s200 systems. The AEM provided ALOT less headaches for the tuner compared to the old hondata systems. With the romulator and autotune feature tuning time is going to be cut down at least by 1/2 for me, so now tuning in realtime is compariable to the AEM system. Again tuning convience and simplicy is only going to pertain to the tuners, not the general public who are going to purchase x standalone system.

For the average turbo honda user a hondata stage s100 system with boost will run him 445.00 (if obd-1 user) or another 150.00 for an obd-2 to obd-1 jumper so another 595.00 they are set to go. Add 50.00 for socketing of the ecu for a grand total of approx. 650.00. Now 650.00 for a ems that will do everything the average honda user wants, compared to 1400+ of the AEM system. Hondata is far cheaper for 90% of the Honda standalone market.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:31 PM
I am a bad person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hondata is alot less complex than the aem. to me thats "better". the hondata will do what you need it to do in less hours. why do you really need all the extra features and parameters and BS?? to say you have the option of doing this,that and the other. I have yet to read on here that anyone has installed,setup and tuned the AEM in 4hours. thats all it takes w/ hondata. my car ran 100% flwaless for 6 straight months on hondata boosting 26 psi and over 500whp every week, 2-3 times a week.it never sputtered,broke up, idled horribly,etc... i never had to hook up the laptop and adjust anything for 6 straight months. who can say that about AEM?? to me thats better!!!
Old 02-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata vs. AEM EMS (MotorMatrix.com)

I have to agree 100% with your statement. The AEM is alot more complicated system to use and set-up. I have tuned hondata's in 4-5 hours on the street even with installing injectors and 3 bar map sensors for people. For street use go with whats simple and proven, its the only way to have a 100% reliable car.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:01 PM
New User

how much more can you ask from a standalone?

you can ask for the long list of features that the AEM EMS provides over Hondata, most of which do not appeal to the average honda turbo user, like traction control (not 100% functional yet) and antilag, integrated boost control with closed loop feedback, ability to fire multiple sets of injectors, control outputs for things like methanol and nitrous injection (both switched output and PWM "analog" style), separate nitrous fuel mapping for dry setups, multiple o2 sensors, EGT fuel trim per cylinder, fuel trim in general per cylinder, auto tranny convertor lockup, integrated datalogging (without laptop), direct fire ignition control (1 coil per cylinder), knock retard (just like J&S) which can add fuel as well as retard timing, integrated 2step rev limiter.

i probly missed some stuff.

you have proved your point yourself. Traction control isnt legal in NHRA and the antilag isnt anyone who buys aem is gonna use. the other options are nice. and def do come in handy. but they arent options anyone is going to use. AEM is a great system but isnt needed for a street car. Hondata doesnt have nearly the same options that aem has (n2o control for example) but they can be made to work with the system. and work well. for a street car i dont think a comparison is fair. The hondata is the winner in my eyes. No matter who tunes the aem nothing will ever start a honda like a honda ecu will. a person who is building a race car with meth and n20 isnt reading this post. lol.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:05 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: Hondata vs. AEM EMS (simple4012)

you have proved your point yourself. Traction control isnt legal in NHRA and the antilag isnt anyone who buys aem is gonna use. the other options are nice. and def do come in handy. but they arent options anyone is going to use. AEM is a great system but isnt needed for a street car. Hondata doesnt have nearly the same options that aem has (n2o control for example) but they can be made to work with the system. and work well. for a street car i dont think a comparison is fair. The hondata is the winner in my eyes. No matter who tunes the aem nothing will ever start a honda like a honda ecu will. a person who is building a race car with meth and n20 isnt reading this post. lol.
i agree 100%.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata vs. AEM EMS (simple4012)

Sorry to change this topic, but i have to know what all motor set-up your running to achieve those times in your sig.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:07 PM
What is this crap?

anyone who thinks i am trying to say aem is better, lemme quote myself:

Old 02-12-2003, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata vs. AEM EMS (MotorMatrix.com)

my car ran 100% flwaless for 6 straight months on hondata boosting 26 psi and over 500whp every week, 2-3 times a week.
what happedned after six months?

Quick Reply: Hondata vs. AEM EMS