Notices

AEM FIC

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM FIC

has anyone used the aem fic in an 01-05 turbo civic with the original d17? i was told by garage 808 that they dont really work with turbo applications and they could tune it but they wont because even if they do tune it the motor wont last very long cause the aem fic doesnt work very well? if anyone could help out with this it would help a lot.... and they also referred me to forged performance so if anyone knows if they will tune the aem fic that would help also....thanks
Old 03-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM FIC

anybody
Old 03-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We said it would not be as good as a system like Hondata, we're not too fond of SAFC like systems out there. We like to think of long term and ability to expand after the initial install. That system may work fine for lower boost setting, and small adjustments, but in our opinion is not a great choice.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The aem fic is not like a SAFC.....it can control timing seperate from fuel unlike a safc....people like me who drive a honda fit love them because they DO work and allow us to keep the oem ecu and oem drivability out of boost. find someone who can actually tune them....they do work...
a great example of what the AEM FIC can do is the honda cr-z bisi did that makes 533hp and allows him to retain all the oem functionality and driveability out of boost.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Very capable system. We're using on a Project CR-Z turbo hybrid project with very good results. Very expansive indeed. This system is very underestimated on this forum.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright well i like what i am hearing but garage 808 told me that the aem fic works well with superchargers all motor builds and some nitrous stuff but was not ment to be used on turbo applications and that they could tune it but they wont cause either way it wont last and then told me that maybe i should go to forged performance cause they will probably tune it but if anyone else knows of anyone else that will tune the aem stuff then let me know but im going to call forged performance monday.... im not trying to like rag on garage 808 or anything im just saying what they told me
Old 03-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to know, Im still partial the putting K-pro in those civics. But thats our preference
Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright well everybody apparently likes the aem fic so im just gonna stick with that and find someone that actually tune it and not blow up my motor
Old 03-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright well everybody apparently likes the aem fic so im just gonna stick with that and find someone that actually tune it and not blow up my motor
Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For AEM tuning I'd call Jeff at Horsepower Freaks.

No sure if that post is implying that we would blow your motor up? But that is why we suggested a system we are familiar with if you had been wanting us to tune it. Good luck with your build though. Those motors make good power boosted.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianEF9
Don't get into the slippery slope that everybody likes it. Its just that as a piggy-back system, it is one of the more advanced, now that AEM has released quite a few updates. When it comes to ECUs that simply can't be swapped out because of the complexity of the system, it works wonders. All tuners will have their preference based upon their use, support, and the customer's needs. In this case, we needed to use it.

The CR-Z turbo hybrid that was made by one of our tuners and my good friend Andy N. of Autowerks Motorsport, was able to integrate it successfully. There was no way that Hondata was able to deal with the complexed code of Hybrid ECU, and we even had to go back to the old school of a check valve. (The CRZ ECU won't let any positive pressure be seen by the computer and goes to complete shut down)

A couple of sneak shots.

Intercooler shot

AEM FIC

Hybrid Power!!

modified Disco potato with 7psi actuator
Old 03-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks and no I wasnt really implying that you would I kust want a good tuner. I respect that you didnt feel that you couldht tune it to its full potential so you sent me to someone that could.... So is jeff local?
Old 03-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jeff is in the Portland area. Very knowledgeable of most efi systems. Motec, AEM, etc. Last I knew he was working for Horsepower Freaks
Old 03-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Don't get into the slippery slope that everybody likes it. Its just that as a piggy-back system, it is one of the more advanced, now that AEM has released quite a few updates. When it comes to ECUs that simply can't be swapped out because of the complexity of the system, it works wonders. All tuners will have their preference based upon their use, support, and the customer's needs. In this case, we needed to use it.

The CR-Z turbo hybrid that was made by one of our tuners and my good friend Andy N. of Autowerks Motorsport, was able to integrate it successfully. There was no way that Hondata was able to deal with the complexed code of Hybrid ECU, and we even had to go back to the old school of a check valve. (The CRZ ECU won't let any positive pressure be seen by the computer and goes to complete shut down)

A couple of sneak shots.
You can get rid of that check valve
ive had great success with these on some of the supercharged toyota trucks ive done http://www.splitsec.com/products/vc2-5/VC2-5.htm
Old 03-20-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2k.civic.si
You can get rid of that check valve
ive had great success with these on some of the supercharged toyota trucks ive done http://www.splitsec.com/products/vc2-5/VC2-5.htm
No. you can't. it must be there. The ECU signal is unlike ANY OTHER JAPANESE MANUFACTURING PLATFORM. There is a double checked voltage signal that automatically adjusts for positive manifold pressure in a way that can't just be fooled electronically.
We tried this VC2. didn't like it much.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i swear some people don't know how to read on this forum
Old 03-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No. you can't. it must be there. The ECU signal is unlike ANY OTHER JAPANESE MANUFACTURING PLATFORM. There is a double checked voltage signal that automatically adjusts for positive manifold pressure in a way that can't just be fooled electronically.
coming from an electrical engineering background i find that impossible to believe. the vc2 may not work for this application but if you could send me the part# of the map sensor i could take a look.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice project car!

There's nothing wrong having a checkvalve as long as there is another method for the ECU or piggyback to measure additional load from a turbo or supercharger.

I sometimes do that, even though if I could electronically fool the stock ECU. Several cases on many Toyotas/Lexus I deal with, some electronics (depending on the car) have a little more electrical interference than expected and as a habit; so if I could fool the ECU "mechanically" without ghetto'ing it, I usually go for the mechanical method.

Originally Posted by CanadianEF9
has anyone used the aem fic in an 01-05 turbo civic with the original d17? i was told by garage 808 that they dont really work with turbo applications and they could tune it but they wont because even if they do tune it the motor wont last very long cause the aem fic doesnt work very well? if anyone could help out with this it would help a lot.... and they also referred me to forged performance so if anyone knows if they will tune the aem fic that would help also....thanks
To the OP, the AEM FIC works pretty well for what it is.. It's actually not power that limits this system, but rather boost pressure. You are limited to their internal MAP sensor, and a huge boost range (high PSI number) seems to run into some tuning resolution problems. If you exceed their MAP sensor, then you have to use some sort of TPS/MAF/stock MAP load tuning on another fuel map and work around it.

I've tuned about a dozen of these AEM FIC's on the D17's only, and many other cars as well, and these cars have been running around for 2+ years already, and almost all the time, they are daily drivers/weekend racers and power ranging 250-300 WHP (some stock, some built motor).
Old 03-21-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2k.civic.si
coming from an electrical engineering background i find that impossible to believe. the vc2 may not work for this application but if you could send me the part# of the map sensor i could take a look.
I appreciate it,(as I alway appreciate input from people) but in this case we're good for now for the goals attained. Being that this issue is more software/ECU related more than anything electrical, sometimes us Old school boys would just rather attack the issue mechanically than spending more than the man-hours we already did to try and mess with it. I'd hope at this point since we were able to make over 250whp on the car and still maintain over 43mpg, if it ain't broke don't fix it. We may attack it at a later time, but for now, its more than fine.

As for the project, I'll put a full write up on the CR-Z forum as to what was done, power levels, etc. This project was from an owner that wanted to get into Autoweek and Car & Driver (no tuner mags,), and he got his wish when he gets back from Bejing. All I did was configure and fit the turbo.

A word to the wise: If you decide to use this, use a water cooled turbocharger be it a ball-bearing turbocharger or journal bearing; when the vehicle stops, all oil pressure goes to zero, basically having hot oil coking onto the system (like a hot shut down). With water cooling (not sure about air cooling), that can save your turbo internals from a lot of punishment
Old 03-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Trial User

hey im new to the whole civic world to a point. My car is the one were talking about. I race motocross and want to get into the civic sceen. I bought a 05 honda civic that was suposedely turboed and everything was done right. found out the guy that build it must of not really knew what he was doing. all internals are stock as far as we know, its got a garret turbo and its set at 15psi of boost. as it gets in high rpm's and over 5psi of boost it ***** out. the guy never put bigger injectors in ot or fuel pump or rail or any of that ****. but hope to have a pretty quick car after we get the right **** in it and get it tuned right. thanks for the help 808 and any other addvice that anyone may have about getting this car set up would be awsome.