Notices

AEM EMS - options and features, calling all aem ems users

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS - options and features, calling all aem ems users

What kind of options and features can the aem ems support? I heard of traction control (boost vs gear/rpm) and detonation control (what the J&S does) and auto-mapping (set ems to a certain a/f ratio with a wideband and it'll automatically adjust to that a/f ratio)
Are there any other option I should ask my tuner to add in while I'm there?
On another note, how are your guys aem ems units working out for you? I hear some people say it's complete crap but I got a friend running one with no real problems. How long have you been running it and how do you like it?
TIA
Old 02-02-2004, 08:51 AM

Default Re: AEM EMS - options and features, calling all aem ems users (Wo-Nelly)

there have been many posts regarding the ems, so try searching around too. But I find people that hate the ems don't know **** about tuning, and throw in the towel before learning how to connect it to a laptop. I have it, have been using it since V0.73 (around summer 2002) and I love it. Its easy to use once you know where everything is, but the actual tuning takes alot of practice. For an all out turbo/na setup, its more then worth its weight in gold.

my $0.02
Old 02-02-2004, 08:56 AM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AEM EMS - options and features, calling all aem ems users (Wo-Nelly)

I have the system on my NA setup and keeping it for my FI setup.

I absolutely love it. It's the best system I've ever used. As long as I own my car, that EMS and Wideband is staying with it.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:10 AM

Default Re: AEM EMS - options and features, calling all aem ems users (Canuk_SiR)

yeah I searched thru most of the topics, some just said you won't need a J&S with the ems but didn't really say if it can be set to do the same thing. I just want to know for sure, that all
Old 02-02-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Re: AEM EMS - options and features, calling all aem ems users (Canuk_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Canuk_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there have been many posts regarding the ems, so try searching around too. But I find people that hate the ems don't know **** about tuning, and throw in the towel before learning how to connect it to a laptop. I have it, have been using it since V0.73 (around summer 2002) and I love it. Its easy to use once you know where everything is, but the actual tuning takes alot of practice. For an all out turbo/na setup, its more then worth its weight in gold.

my $0.02</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey canuk, I was browing my we-todd-did account and found some pics of your teg in the parking garage....I think they were from an old HID thread...

At any rate, Ive had the EMS since last spring. If you dont know how to tune and or use it, then you need to make sure you know a **** load about engine theory or be prepared to do a rebuild. If you dont know **** and plan on only letting a tunner tuch the laptop, then it just depends on how much trust you have in your tunner. There are people who can make 500 out of a setup, while another tunner might spend day and night pushing 350 and end up blowing the engine.

Also, consider this, the better your tunner is (more experience and so forth), the less time it will take him to actually browse around the software and do what he needs to do. Ive seen people work on it that probably look at the software once a month, and trust me, I wouldnt want them touching my car.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:11 AM

Default Re: AEM EMS - options and features, calling all aem ems users (integra-modder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra-modder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hey canuk, I was browing my we-todd-did account and found some pics of your teg in the parking garage....I think they were from an old HID thread...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got me a CDM SiR coupe
are you thinking of a blue teg with a jdm front? That's a different guy, I think he posts here as Canuck_MX6. besides, HID =
Old 02-02-2004, 11:13 AM

Default Re: AEM EMS - options and features, calling all aem ems users (integra-modder)

so ummm... do these options/features exist and are there any other useful options/features I should look into?
Old 02-02-2004, 03:08 PM

tuners?
Old 02-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.aempower.com/ems/AEM%20DEMO.zip

See for yourself
Old 02-03-2004, 08:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Canuk_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've got me a CDM SiR coupe
are you thinking of a blue teg with a jdm front? That's a different guy, I think he posts here as Canuck_MX6. besides, HID = </TD></TR></TABLE>

whooops.....
fucked up on that one...
Old 02-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Canuk_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there have been many posts regarding the ems, so try searching around too. But I find people that hate the ems don't know **** about tuning, and throw in the towel before learning how to connect it to a laptop. I have it, have been using it since V0.73 (around summer 2002) and I love it. Its easy to use once you know where everything is, but the actual tuning takes alot of practice. For an all out turbo/na setup, its more then worth its weight in gold.

my $0.02</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to disagree with you on some of your statements. I had the AEM EMS in my last car and liked it until I upgraded to v.94 and then all hell broke loose. I was blowing coil drivers and had more problems then I knew what to do with. When I went back to version .89 almost all the problems went away. Now I am running the EMS in my new car it has the latest version on it and seems to be working good so far. Car starts up like butter. I like it because unlike hondata you do not have to burn a chip everytime you want to make a change. It happens on the fly. Also like that fact that you can plug and play no rewiring your whole car. Which also makes it good for when the unit takes a **** on you. I can just plug hondata back in and I am up and running. But the latest version seems a lot more user friendly and a lot more stable. Also it helps to have a good tuner (such as Mase) to set the system up properly from the begining.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: AEM EMS - options and features, calling all aem ems users (underpressure02)

the ems can do damn near anything you want it to do... one exception... the traction control dosnt work in the current software release. dont quote me on this but i "hear" it will be working on the next release that will be out when they release the Viper ems.

i have used the ems sence v0.73 and i love it. the latest software 1.03 is by far the easiest standalone software on the market to learn. everything is where it should be, there is very little hunting around for the tables, map and options you need to tune a car. the flexability of the ems is amazing.. take boost control... you can have the simplest boost control in the world with the ems, or you can set it up to have a switched target with vss based boost, or have boost throttle based. there is a barometric correction for boost to keep from over spinning the turbo, etc, etc, etc.

you can control the dwell of the coils, you can run individual coil on plug, the list goes on and on..... if i had it my way every car i touch would have an ems on it.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:31 PM

Default Re: AEM EMS - options and features, calling all aem ems users (underpressure02)

What are you guys doing for Vtec fueling and ignition?

On an S/C S2000 last year I used the N2O fuel table for the 'big' cam
and the main table for the 'little' cam fueling....

I like the Hondata 'proper' dual table set-up, has this been intergrated
into the EMS yet? This is the major reason I don't like the EMS, I have
to bascially hard code the vtec stochover and tune around it, as opposed
to tuning both cams separately and letting the dyno pick the switch point...

EVERYTHING else about the EMS is great....
I have a big single turbo Rx-7 coming up, running AEM. For anything but, a Honda,
it the best thing since round wheels.

Jeffrey Atwood

Old 02-03-2004, 01:42 PM

get a good tuner (like Mase, Sean from torquefreaks.com, or any other good tuner) and you'll be very pleased
Old 02-03-2004, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (diogo6)

using the nitrous maps is one way of tuning for vtec. tune the main map for the low cam and the nitrous map for the high cam....

however, i have found that unnecessacary. i set vtec to a certian throttle/load parameter as well as rpm. when doing this i know exactly what portions of the main fuel map will be on the high cam and tune accordingly. finding the proper vtec x-over point isnt hard, once you find it its no big deal to tune around it.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:30 PM

Default Re: (JDogg)

are there any good tunners for the aem in the south florida area because i am really looking at getting one but i am affraid of not getting it tunned right.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mxpx035)

Mase is from FL and he will travel for a price.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:02 PM

Default Re: (mxpx035)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mxpx035 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are there any good tunners for the aem in the south florida area because i am really looking at getting one but i am affraid of not getting it tunned right. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, you are lucky....mase is only but a few hours away....as oppose to a few hours on a plane up here...