Notices

advice on turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on turbo kit

Hi , this is my first post here and my first honda build . I have an EM1 . I recently bought a sleeved shortblock from a close buddy of mines. It is a Gsr block sleeved to 84mm with CP 9.1 compression. I was planning on taking the b16 head from the engine sitting in my car and boost it . Problem is , i dont know anything in relations to how much a certain size part can handle in terms of power. My goal is to boost about 12-14 psi and make anything over 420whp on pump gas . Will it be easier buying a turbo kit or piecing it together ? Which size turbo will give me that kind of power at a somewhat lower boost , but at the same time still have great midrange and quick spool ? what size injectors , BOV , and wastegate will be right for this setup ?

thanks guys
Old 12-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: advice on turbo kit (turboEMone)

The kit vs. making your own kit really depends on your abilities. Kits are relatively straight forward, "bolt on" style to fit directly to your application. Some modifying of exhaust, downpipe, intercooler piping might be an issue, but they're generally pretty good. The downside with kits are you might get one or two good components, but will have to settle for the rest of the pieces the kit comes with. The plus side to making your own is that you can pick and choose the components that will work best for your needs and set-up. The downside is getting all of the loose ends tied up, i.e. intercooler piping, downpipe, wastegate pipe, vaccuum lines, oil lines, fittings, and so on. Plus you'll have to have access to someone who can weld both steel and aluminum, if you use aluminum for your intercooler piping. Building your own isn't a problem if you have any friends who have done so in the past and can point you in the right direction. Some other H-T members could probably give you better advice on turbo sizing, but speaking from my own experience, my T3T04E works great. You should be able to hit your HP goals with that turbo, but again, I'm sure someone will have a little better advice. Injector size, I would say anything over 750cc's. Either a 38 or a 44 mm wastegate would work, 44 might be a better choice since your running 12-14 psi. Do lots of research before you start. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Banned

Default Re: advice on turbo kit (Specail Ed)

I would go with a 1000cc. Since you have a built engine, your horsepower goals of 400 will eventually turn into 500, 600 etc. Its how the bug gets you.

When doing a turbo system, regaurdless of if its a kit or piece together you want to make sure you buy the right components and plan a little ahead. For example, dont get a 38MM Wastegate if you think one day you want 650hp, because the 44 is better suited for that. So go 44 from the get.

Also, which gets me is the fact that when you do buy a turbo kit, you have to wait. Thats bs, who the hell wants to wait for a $2500 + Order. Spend the cash on the kit and eliminate some headache in the long run. Try and also go with a GT30R or a GT35R if its in the budget. The Standard Garrett T3/T4's that the kits come with are efficient for 450hp, but if your wanting to jump out with 400 hp again just get the better turbo from the get.

Check my sig for some pricing on the Peakboost Lineup we carry and stock. Either way, best of luck with the turbo setup. 400HP in the street is hella fking fun. Your still a trial user so I cant pm you.