Notices

advice plz on b16 turbo build 300whp goal

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default advice plz on b16 turbo build 300whp goal

ok, i have a 95 civic ej2 with a stock b16a non lsd and p30, and have full msd ignition system, 2.5" catback with stock cat and have about $2,200 to spend on it. first let me explain my situation. i live in a hick town in kentucky and the only tuner cars are neons lol. there are 2 other hondas in town, 92 prelude stock motor, and 92 accord stock motor and they are my friends. there is a 264whp neon runnin around owning everyone and dissin hondas and he's got a cheap turbo kit at about 10psi. im tired of everyone around here hating on hondas, so i want to spend this money with one goal, to be able to take the neon lol. ive never had anything in my life and i make $6.55 an hour and saved up for 2 years to get my motor swap from hmotors and just by luck came upon this $2,200. So...i have been doin some research on here about turbos because i have never even driven anything turbo so i know very little about them. here is what im thinkin and please feel free to correct me on everything: $700 kit on ebay has ARP rod bolts, eagle h beam rods, and forged pistons, and trying to peice together a turbo kit im thinking .50 trim turbo for fast spool but in my eyes when i think turbo i think hondata, 3 bar map, injectors, oil lines, turbo, bov, wastegate, manifold, downpipe, boost gauge, intercooler, piping, and hardware, But i know of ppl running stock injectors, cheap handheld management, stock map and still being reliable
i know everyone is gonna say check faq and search but i have been looking at this for a while and by myself and not having any turbo experience, i still dont know that much. so i guess i kinda just want some input on building a 300whp b16 for $2,200 and not blow my motor i saved up so long for
thanks i know this is soo noob but i am noob about turbos
Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: advice plz on b16 turbo build 300whp goal

Originally Posted by cehcivic15
ok, i have a 95 civic ej2 with a stock b16a non lsd and p30, and have full msd ignition system, 2.5" catback with stock cat and have about $2,200 to spend on it. first let me explain my situation. i live in a hick town in kentucky and the only tuner cars are neons lol. there are 2 other hondas in town, 92 prelude stock motor, and 92 accord stock motor and they are my friends. there is a 264whp neon runnin around owning everyone and dissin hondas and he's got a cheap turbo kit at about 10psi. im tired of everyone around here hating on hondas, so i want to spend this money with one goal, to be able to take the neon lol. ive never had anything in my life and i make $6.55 an hour and saved up for 2 years to get my motor swap from hmotors and just by luck came upon this $2,200. So...i have been doin some research on here about turbos because i have never even driven anything turbo so i know very little about them. here is what im thinkin and please feel free to correct me on everything: $700 kit on ebay has ARP rod bolts, eagle h beam rods, and forged pistons, and trying to peice together a turbo kit im thinking .50 trim turbo for fast spool but in my eyes when i think turbo i think hondata, 3 bar map, injectors, oil lines, turbo, bov, wastegate, manifold, downpipe, boost gauge, intercooler, piping, and hardware, But i know of ppl running stock injectors, cheap handheld management, stock map and still being reliable
i know everyone is gonna say check faq and search but i have been looking at this for a while and by myself and not having any turbo experience, i still dont know that much. so i guess i kinda just want some input on building a 300whp b16 for $2,200 and not blow my motor i saved up so long for
stock map and injectors?? your gas pedal is going to be a detonator LOL
Old 02-17-2009, 11:59 PM

overall you got the right idea. the turbo will work GREAT for your power goals

stock injectors and using a piggy back is a recipe for disaster

PM me and we can talk bout your options for your turbo setup
Old 02-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by project dc2
overall you got the right idea. the turbo will work GREAT for your power goals

stock injectors and using a piggy back is a recipe for disaster

PM me and we can talk bout your options for your turbo setup
there ya go man. ^^ really knows whats up and can help you dial in your setup. As far as the intercooler, I would just buy a Precision turbo 350 Hp unit and some mandrel bent individual pipes, cut em and weld them up..
Old 02-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A budget of $2,200 can be done, but be prepared to do almost all the work yourself. Don't worry about pistons and rods, 300whp on a stock b16 is no problem. Stay away from eBay turbo parts and stock injectors. Proper tuning is the key to your goals. Sounds like you're on the right track.. good luck roasting that Neon
Old 02-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there is some descent stuff on ebay but you need to know where to spend the exra money and not skimp out. Something like a manifold, you should obviously go with a more quality piece. But you can get quality cast manifolds on ebay for super cheap that will easily make your power goal.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Banned

arp rod bolts no matter what IMO

my buddy miss shifted my non-tuned all motor ls to 9500rpms and it held it.. and he was all the way on the throttle after going into 3rd instead of 5th! after that... ill never run a set up without arp rod bolts...

this miss shift happend twice... once 9500rpms and the other probably 9000rpms.. held both like a champ.. sounded like an f1 car and i damn near crap my pants but it held
Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 AM
official honda whore

Originally Posted by 94 TuRbO dC2

my buddy miss shifted my non-tuned all motor ls to 9500rpms and it held it.. and he was all the way on the throttle after going into 3rd instead of 5th! after that... ill never run a set up without arp rod bolts...

this miss shift happend twice... once 9500rpms and the other probably 9000rpms.. held both like a champ.. sounded like an f1 car and i damn near crap my pants but it held
on a stock b16??? no need

keep stock longblock and invest in quality used parts and a quality tune and you will reach your goal very easily
Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like you/your buddy need to learn how to drive
Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mag00n
sounds like you/your buddy need to learn how to drive
lol.. touche... how ever we all have miss shifted once or twice havent we.. and dont bother fighting this one cus i wont believe you if you say you havent missed once or twice... its almost like the point of the story went right over your head though huh.. lol.. jk..

arp bolts for any set up... cheap insurance but when is that ever a good idea huh? lol
Old 02-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone know of any good tuners near nashville tn or southern indiana who i could rely on to tune this for me

so if i was looking at hondata s300, .50 trim turbo, stock internals, good manifold, 3bar map, wideband a/f, cheap piping and intercooler, bov, wastegate, downpipe, Dunno what size injectors, and a good tune, that would be about it?

oh, and prolly NEED cam gears huh?

Last edited by cehcivic15; 02-18-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol.. touche... how ever we all have miss shifted once or twice havent we.. and dont bother fighting this one cus i wont believe you if you say you havent missed once or twice... its almost like the point of the story went right over your head though huh.. lol.. jk..

arp bolts for any set up... cheap insurance but when is that ever a good idea huh? lol
actually no, ive driven 4 turbo hondas and 2 allmotor ones and ive never misshifted over redline. You can feel it as you let the clutch out if your in the wrong gear, i always catch it.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Before I say anything else....TUNE THE CAR BEFORE YOU BEAT ON IT!!!

That being said.........the tuner directory is up on the top of the forum close to the faq's. Here is the only one I saw that is in Kentucky.......

Mad Scientist Autohouse
2254 high street
Ashland, Ky 41101

Tuning with crome pro/gold, uberdata, emanage, dsmlink, f.a.s.t, hp tuners, AEM fic, Megasquirt, etc., etc.

Available dynojet 248x with killer pricing...
606-615-1432 (call or text) or jarvis199@yahoo.com

I also provide ecu socketing/chipping and basemaps, and will travel!
Currently working on learning a few more systems (hondata, ectune, AEM)...

As for engine management, Crome would be a good choice for your budget build. The tuner listed above tunes with it as well, so if they are close that would be an option. This option would require a chipped p28 ecu.

Leave the stock block alone if the tuner is competant he/she will get you to 300whp give or take a little bit with no issues. Ask the shop about some of the cars they have tuned and to what power levels. Like Phil (project_DC2) said, that turbo is a very good choice for what you want and gives you some room to grow later if you want. Those can be had for a pretty good price used and if you want it new I believe Phil has some pretty good prices on those (last I checked anyway ).

What to add:
-You have most of it covered, but dont forget to get a clutch. This is a really good idea....but we know your on a budget. A stock clutch won't hold that power very long.

What would be nice to have:
-Remember if you are making power you will also wanna put that power to the ground. Sticky tires, stiff suspension and traction bars will help you a lot. I know these are all if your budget permits, but if you can they are a good idea. If you cant get these then get the guy to race you from a roll....that will help you out a lot. Start ~30-40 mph or so.

Remember your car is a LOT lighter than his but you will have wheelspin like crazy. Practice launching and feathering the gas AFTER you get it tuned!! GL and be careful.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mag00n
actually no, ive driven 4 turbo hondas and 2 allmotor ones and ive never misshifted over redline. You can feel it as you let the clutch out if your in the wrong gear, i always catch it.
howd i know that was comin...

i didnt call that or anything.. lol

so not even when you were younger huh? i cant even get that out of you.. come on..
Old 02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My old automatic integra mis-shifted itself - 4th to 2nd at 80mph. DOHC d16 @9k ftw.

$700 kit on ebay has ARP rod bolts, eagle h beam rods, and forged pistons, and trying to peice together a turbo kit im thinking .50 trim turbo for fast spool but in my eyes when i think turbo i think hondata, 3 bar map, injectors, oil lines, turbo, bov, wastegate, manifold, downpipe, boost gauge, intercooler, piping, and hardware, But i know of ppl running stock injectors, cheap handheld management, stock map and still being reliable
For 300whp, you don't exactly need to build your bottom end. A neon might need all that crap for 284whp, not a Honda - especially if you know its in good condition.

First replace any wear items - plugs, rotor, plug wires, etc. Fix *ALL* broken parts & CEL's. Then get the basics - manifold/turbo/downpipe. Those are the 3 most important parts - DO NOT CHEAP OUT on them. A beginner should use a Tial WG to keep issues to a minimum. After that the charge pipes/couplers/clamps, oil lines, and vac lines don't have to be race-spec, just decent & functional. Injectors are needed, at the LEAST you want dsm 450's, next cheapest would be modded WRX injectors (>760cc). The fuel pump is a good thing to change if its the stock Civic unit. A 190lph pump can provide well over 300whp of gas, and isnt' loud like the 255's.

For fuel/spark management, a "handheld" unit should NOT be used by a beginner. Its hard enough (and risky) for a pro w/wideband to do it because you're running far too much timing. If you look, ask, and call around, you will find a tuner like the guy above. Even if you DIY, a novice with Crome Free or Uberdata is FAR better than using an V-AFC.

FYI for 300whp, a 60trim T3 turbo would be sufficient if you go with a larger MAP sensor, although a 46- or 50-trim t3/t04e would be enough for ~300whp with stock MAP. If you are concerned about motor health, you can bomb around with a lower PSI setting, then use a dual-stage MBC (or EMS-based EBC) to increase boost to humiliate that Neon. IIRC the current record for a stock block/head B16 is ~560whp - it lasted a couple dyno pulls & track passes.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems like you're getting some really good advice and a few hit-and-miss tidbits as well. For the most part, you seem to have the right idea. Also, consulting with Phil (Project DC2) is a smart move...he'll help you out. I actually ran one of his log combos on my first turbo setup and loved it.

I saw that you were considering Hondata S300, but are on a somewhat tight budget. I would ditch that idea in lieu of Crome. I've been running it for a few years now and can't complain a bit. It's significantly cheaper and works just as well as some of the more expensive options; however, it doesn't come with all of the bells and whistles that Hondata does. You'll learn to live without them easily.

The only other advice i can really give you is to keep researching. Don't jump into something prematurely. That's the quickest route to your setup's demise. Read through the FAQ first and foremost. You'll find many helpful links that should answer the majority of your beginner questions. Other than that, good luck...you're in good hands in FI
Old 02-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
It seems like you're getting some really good advice and a few hit-and-miss tidbits as well. For the most part, you seem to have the right idea. Also, consulting with Phil (Project DC2) is a smart move...
I saw that you were considering Hondata S300, but are on a somewhat tight budget. I would ditch that idea in lieu of Crome. .

The only other advice i can really give you is to keep researching. Don't jump into something prematurely. That's the quickest route to your setup's demise. Read through the FAQ first and foremost. You'll find many helpful links that should answer the majority of your beginner questions. Other than that, good luck...you're in good hands in FI
couldnt of said it better myself... Crome is pretty good... especially for free... Buy an wideband and an ostrich...

Always remember to run the most premium pump gas you can get...

also check out www.ectune.com and pgmfi.org and homemadeturbo.com

GL
Old 02-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all of the help guys...i will keep researching and learning for a while before i do anything, and might save some money to add to what i already have
Old 04-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm in the process of building an LS/Vtec. So I have everything you need to make 300+ WHP for your car. Everything is Ebay except the W.G. and Turbo manifold. I made 297 WHP bone stock engine using Crome and D.S.M. injectors. Head studs of course on 9psi. I have 15K currently on this setup with no problems what so ever. PM me for any questions you have I'm glad to lend help/ advice. The setup is on a 93 Hatch with a B16. Let me know if you would like to purchase any of this since it's just going to be laying around collecting dust. It's on the car write now runnin like a champ.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All i can say is good luck. I am in the same situation as far as tuner goes. I am looking for a tuner in ky/ohio/indiana because i live in the tri-sate area and the only hit i got was the guy in ashland and a guy in lexington. check out my thread.
My first build? the guy that recommended him is in there.
good luck.