Notices

Advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Advice needed!

I wish you a Happy & prosperous New Year!
I'm planning to buy this engine at the end of February (saving for the purchase). B18C5 stock bore with the foll specs:

BLOX Retainers & Springs
Skunk2 Cam Gears
Type R cams
Fuel rail 1000cc injectors
Sheep Horn stainless steel equal length headers
Tappets cover fitted with anodized blue aluminium threaded fittings for ventilation
Brand new TypeR oil & water Pump
Brand new timing belt with freshly installed upgraded seals entire engine
Racing main & conrod bearings
CP Pistons
Eagle Rods
Block Guard
Fully balanced & blue printed bottom ½
Hondata ECU S300 Hondata
2.5 inch factory bent & coated intercooler plumbing
Tial waste gate
Tial Bov
24 X 12 X 3.5 bar & plate XS Power intercooler
NEED CLUTCH & GUAGES
GT35R dual ball bearing turbo with .82 A/R
NX Express Nos Kit (which I only want to use at the track)

I will be running this with by LSD gearbox. I'm very concerned with turbo lag. My goal is to build a street terror (NOT STREET RACING) daily driver about 400+ to 500+ whp minimum high boost (ideally 500+) & do a few track passes occasionally.

Can the car be tuned to let the turbo spool up at around 2 - 3,000rpm through to 8-9,000rpm? I know the GT35R gives good top-end speed & I think it spools around 4,500rpm (I think this is a bit late). The only prob is that after buying this engine, paying for the installation, tuning & miscellaneous parts, I will be dead broke; I'm a student. So would be unable to buy a GT3076R which I think may be more suitable.

I know that I could sell the GT35R & buy the GT30R, but my problem is the wait in between this (as I would not have another car to drive). Please advise!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Advice needed!

wow i havent really seen any car that made 500+ start spoolin at 2-3k unless u go for a smaller turbo, but then no high end for that 500+ goal of yours. for a front wheeler + 500+ power i think you would want it to kick in later then sooner. you will get no tracktion. your biggest prob. would be to get all tat power to the ground. i like the gt35r and have seen good power from that, but if you want that better spool and that kind of power gain then the GT3076R might be what yu are lookin for.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I should run high boost, would that help in getting full boost at 3500 - 4000rpm?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you already have and what dont you have? you say you are buying the motor setup in february, but cant wait while you sell the 35r to buy a 30r?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

You can't always have both ways, low movement of inertia AND top end power. You actually want a bit of later maximum pressure for under 3 litres in your case.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one option that is rather cheap compared to buying a new turbo is to change the turbine housing from the .82 to a .63
you could probably find someone that would trade you a .63 for your .82

honestly man how many turbo cars have you driven? if you have not driven one that has an aftermarket turbo and only has or is a car with a stock turbo that has been made in the past 10 yrs. They are made to make the powerband feel like the car has an engine larger than it is and when your off the gas get the good gas mileage of the small engine it actually is.
lag is way overrated after you get going and out of first gear if you keep the revs up your not gonna have any lag.........its just like my sig says if you have lag your not driving right.

the only way to have it the way you described with boost at 2500-3500 and the top end a 35r gives you. It could be done but like you said your a college student and it wouldn't be cheap and it would be pretty complicated. you would have to run a dual turbo setup notice i said dual not twin because you would have to have one small turbo such as a straight t3 and a gt35r and run them sequentially. Like i said it could be done but it would cost a lot and i personally don't know how exactly to create this system and tune it to work properly like you would want it to work or another way that you could get what you are wanting is run a twin charged system with a supercharger to create the low end you want and a turbo to create the top end you want but again this would be really expensive and very difficult to get everything to work properly and to tune it to work properly

so your pretty much stuck with what you have unless you could find someone local to trade your 35r for a 3076r....or if you went from the .82 to the .63 hot side that might pick you up 3-400 rpm quicker spool up another thing that you could do that would help with the spoolup is have the turbine housing,ex.manifold,and downpipe ceramic coated by someone like swaintech....or if you don't have time to send them off to get coated then exhaust wrap the downpipe and as much of the exhaust manifold as you can.....don't expect miracle's from this but you could pick up 300 rpm max but probably closer to 1-200 rpms thats just my
Old 01-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Advice needed!

Originally Posted by hybrdthry911
what do you already have and what dont you have? you say you are buying the motor setup in february, but cant wait while you sell the 35r to buy a 30r?
I am buying the motor setup in February and have just my DC2 chassis, 2 1/2 inches exhaust system, fuel pump and an LSD gear box. I will be getting the engine with a GT35R turbo, and as a result I am curious about turbo lag with this.

Ideally, I would want to have enough money to buy the engine setup and a GT3076R to replace the GT35R (& then sell it) so I pay for tuning only once instead of twice (that is tuning using the GT35R until I can afford to replace it and the second tune when I actually get the GT3076R)
Old 01-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Advice needed!

Originally Posted by spoolin turbo s
one option that is rather cheap compared to buying a new turbo is to change the turbine housing from the .82 to a .63
you could probably find someone that would trade you a .63 for your .82

honestly man how many turbo cars have you driven? if you have not driven one that has an aftermarket turbo and only has or is a car with a stock turbo that has been made in the past 10 yrs. They are made to make the powerband feel like the car has an engine larger than it is and when your off the gas get the good gas mileage of the small engine it actually is.

lag is way overrated after you get going and out of first gear if you keep the revs up your not gonna have any lag.........its just like my sig says if you have lag your not driving right.

the only way to have it the way you described with boost at 2500-3500 and the top end a 35r gives you. It could be done but like you said your a college student and it wouldn't be cheap and it would be pretty complicated. you would have to run a dual turbo setup notice i said dual not twin because you would have to have one small turbo such as a straight t3 and a gt35r and run them sequentially. Like i said it could be done but it would cost a lot and i personally don't know how exactly to create this system and tune it to work properly like you would want it to work or another way that you could get what you are wanting is run a twin charged system with a supercharger to create the low end you want and a turbo to create the top end you want but again this would be really expensive and very difficult to get everything to work properly and to tune it to work properly

so your pretty much stuck with what you have unless you could find someone local to trade your 35r for a 3076r....or if you went from the .82 to the .63 hot side that might pick you up 3-400 rpm quicker spool up another thing that you could do that would help with the spoolup is have the turbine housing,ex.manifold,and downpipe ceramic coated by someone like swaintech....or if you don't have time to send them off to get coated then exhaust wrap the downpipe and as much of the exhaust manifold as you can.....don't expect miracle's from this but you could pick up 300 rpm max but probably closer to 1-200 rpms thats just my
Thanks for the tips/ tricks regarding a quicker spool-up.

Would changing the turbine housing from the .82 to a .63 cause compressor surge? I think I can recall the seller saying that the turbo has a bit smaller back housing than what came with it. I'm assuming .63 (I can always ask).

I need to consider the fact,"they [turbos] are made to make the powerband feel like the car has an engine larger than it is and when your off the gas get the good gas mileage of the small engine it actually is", would be good for me being a student wanting a car that is fun and economical.

I'm gonna have to use exhaust wrap. Using launch controller (set at 5000rpm)should get me going from 1st gear pretty well without much delay into full boost (I think). If from a roll, then gonna have to brake-boost.

Pretty much what I gather from your post is that having the GT35R if I can't afford to get the GT3076R, isn't bad after all; I just have to know how to drive it competitively.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

The turbine housing doesn't do that much in the broad spectrum of getting earlier maximum pressure. Its more of an "assistant" than a full change.