Notices

adjusting boost...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting boost...

i recently installed my drag kit on my b16 and it comes with the turbonetics deltagate and do i tighten the allen bolt on the top to increase boost? i turned it to the left a few turns and it seemed to lower boost but that doesnt seem right does it? its a 7 lb spring and when i first installed it i was only running 5 psi but i guess that is the loss of boost through the intercooler since i ran the vacuum line off of the wastegate to the turbo itself and not the intake manifold. So question is do i tighten to increase boost because i want to get it up to like 7-8 psi...also i didint install the inline feul pump b/c drags instructions were very vague and the car seems to lean out when in higher rpms...although did not install my air/feul guage yet....is the fuel pump necessary and does anyone have some good instructions because for some reason the feul pump is giving me trouble.....also one last question, i am still waiting for my missing link to come in and i am not running a check valve so my car tends to stall after i am under boost, would this cause vtec to not engage, i would think so because the stock map sensor is probably freaking out because of the boost and wont let the ecu engage vtec but am i assuming correctly?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: adjusting boost... (civiclx97)

you need a boost controller to increaes boost. turning that allen head doesnt do ****.

install the fuel pump... its simple. splice to fuel lines, install it in the middle and run two wires to the fuel pump relay....

and yes, the stock ecu cant see boost or it will throw a CEL and go into limp mode
Old 06-20-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: adjusting boost... (wantboost)

will a manual boost controller like the turboXS MBC work or will those style boost controllers just hurst my car? (im referring to the kind that simply go between the wastegate and the turbo) cuz i defintely cannot afford an electric right now
Old 06-21-2005, 07:33 AM

also with rspect to the air/feul guage (stewart warner performance) is it possible to run the o2 signal wire to the ecu instead of the o2 sensor itself? i know you can do that with autometer but not sure with this guage because autometer has 3 wires and this one has 5
Old 06-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the screw on the top lets you compress the spring on the turbonetics wastegate so you can play with what psi the wastegate opens although it doesnt seem to work too well since that thing spikes like a biotch. a mbc wont hurt your car except for the fact you would kill it if you boost high with that fmu. ive never had luck with missing links, but check valves worked well. i ran about 6 check valves and that worked out well even though it looks ghetto. as for the af guage, unless you want it for piece of mind, its pretty much usless since its a narrowband so i wouldnt go through the trouble of setting it up.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Re: adjusting boost... (milb16a)

there is nothing wrong with piece of mind...plus i already bought it and have a pod for it so i might as well just hook it up...
Old 06-21-2005, 08:39 AM

you can also buy a different spring from a dealer. usually color coded for different boost levels. but if you want to change boost ofter either turboxs for low price or avc-r for good reliable but alot of money comparatively.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Re: adjusting boost... (civicpacrat)

ok looks like the turboXS is in my future...back to the guage is it ok to run the signal wire to the ecu
Old 06-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

what the hell are you talking about?

of course the signal wire has to goto the ecu. how else will the ecu monitor afr in closed loop?

you just tap into the wires for the af gauge....
Old 06-21-2005, 10:12 AM

i know the best option would be the ecu signal but the directions say to splice into the wire off of the actual o2 sensor underneath the car...thats why i am asking would it make a difference? also ive dealt with autometer b4 and rember that their was 3 wire...signal, ground, and power...this stewart warner has 5 ...ground, power, signal, engine ground, and 12v ignition switched power...can i get away with only using power, ground, and signal cuz the other two dont make sense to me
Old 06-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

the engine ground, not sure about. i guess they want the gauge to get a ground signal as close to the o2 sensor as possible

the 12v switched power is so the gauge isnt on all of the tme.. only when the engine is running.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:31 PM

so do you think the two power wires can be used as one...just for simplicity purposes...also i could probably do the same for the ground....just splice one of them, connect the second to the first wire, and make a connection using one wire, but actually using both..il try it anyway and see if that works