Notices

3" V-band users....solution for leaks found.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" V-band users....solution for leaks found.

Ive got one of those great 3" V-band adaptors from ATP that does such a fantastic job at leaking. I found this on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...14224 looks like this might work as a solution? i checked around and a few other guys say they have used it with great results?

Old 01-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3" V-band users....solution for leaks found. (dubseven)

i wouldnt spend 16 bucks on a gasket. autozone sell the gasket sheets for 4 dollars for a 12x12 sheet
Old 01-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck freehand cutting a vband lolololol
Old 01-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

free hand cutting a circle? that should be that hard. **** i will cut you one for 16 bucks shipped
Old 01-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (advert)

its corrugated stainless steel with asbestos filler.
id love to see you do it
Old 01-18-2007, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (dubseven)

if your really having leaks, just use rtv silicone on the mating surfaces of the 2 vbands, it will work
Old 01-18-2007, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your really having leaks, just use rtv silicone on the mating surfaces of the 2 vbands, it will work</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would use the liquid copper gasket before the silicone. Its like 7 bucks and will do about 20+ v-bands. It comes in the gold tube. If you do decided to use silicone make sure you use the red stuff.

21$ shipped for 2 gaskets is outrageous. Try contacting Comtec directly and I'm sure you can find a much better price on those.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:41 AM

Default Re: 3" V-band users....solution for leaks found. (dubseven)

here's a little insider info fors ya. as an aircraft mech i get to deal with these peice of dog **** clamps all the time. heres the secret, as your tightening the clamp down you have to take a hammer and lightly tap on the clamp all the way around as you tighten it. this ensures that these dumb *** designed clamps get seated all the way around. most of the time you have to do this **** more than once too. and by the way even with gaskets if you dont tighten them things right they will leak.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:46 AM
sh!t happens.

G

Default Re: 3" V-band users....solution for leaks found. (LSVTECTURBO-EG)

Can you hear the leak? I wouldnt use that gasket. Try the copper gasket stuff first. That has worked for me in the past on my old setups. I havent had any problems with my V-Band leaking yet.. KNOCK on wood....
Old 01-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSVTECTURBO-EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here's a little insider info fors ya. as an aircraft mech i get to deal with these peice of dog **** clamps all the time. heres the secret, as your tightening the clamp down you have to take a hammer and lightly tap on the clamp all the way around as you tighten it. this ensures that these dumb *** designed clamps get seated all the way around. most of the time you have to do this **** more than once too. and by the way even with gaskets if you dont tighten them things right they will leak.</TD></TR></TABLE>
What would you recommend in their place? The Wiggins ones, perhaps?

Picture courtesy of Burns Stainless:
Old 01-18-2007, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when mine leaked a little bit i took a piece of wood and wra0pped some sandpaper around it and planed the flanges a lil bit...got rid of all the leaks no prob...just to use to course a sand paper and make sure you keep you arm level
Old 01-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSVTECTURBO-EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here's a little insider info fors ya. as an aircraft mech i get to deal with these peice of dog **** clamps all the time. heres the secret, as your tightening the clamp down you have to take a hammer and lightly tap on the clamp all the way around as you tighten it. this ensures that these dumb *** designed clamps get seated all the way around. most of the time you have to do this **** more than once too. and by the way even with gaskets if you dont tighten them things right they will leak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I apply anti-seize compound at the inside of the clamp and clamping surfaces and it ensure a nice seat everytime. It lets the clamp side nicely into position rather than getting stuck or jammed at a weird angle.

A lot of guys have warped their V-band flanges during welding as well... I also suggest milling the flanges straight again. A bead of RTV sealant also work, but the clean-up and hassle for frequent dissassembly could be quite annoying.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have yet to use these but, do they leak due to poor quality or are people warping them while welding?
Old 01-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3" V-band users....solution for leaks found. (Oyvind Ryeng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Oyvind Ryeng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What would you recommend in their place? The Wiggins ones, perhaps?

Picture courtesy of Burns Stainless:
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used these once and the ATP style a lot more often, I do now know that ATP style will not leak when properly welded ( heat warp the Vband flange and will create a leak ) To solve those leak I used some Exhaust Silicone ( the gold tube from Permatex ). If you can afford the Burns clamp, do it, I never seen any clamp with that much quality and ease of use, these are the badest clamp on the market actually to my opinion.

hope this help
Kranked.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3" V-band users....solution for leaks found. (kranked91dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSVTECTURBO-EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as an aircraft mech i get to deal with these peice of dog **** clamps all the time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's weird, all the planes and helicopters on the AFB that I work on use Wiggins and only Wiggins clamps. There are top notch hence the OUTRAGOUS price tag.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kranked91dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you can afford the Burns clamp, do it, I never seen any clamp with that much quality and ease of use, these are the badest clamp on the market actually to my opinion. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There Wiggins clamps, not Burns Stainless.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3" V-band users....solution for leaks found. (slow poke)

instead of wasting money on those gaskets, just get the vband surfaces resurfaced/leveled/flattened
Old 01-25-2007, 09:12 PM

you must not work on boeing products?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Def
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's weird, all the planes and helicopters on the AFB that I work on use Wiggins and only Wiggins clamps. There are top notch hence the OUTRAGOUS price tag. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Lots of older fighter jets use v-band clamps.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
There Wiggins clamps, not Burns Stainless. </TD></TR></TABLE>

And they shouldn't be used in an exhaust application, it's beyond the max rated temp of the clamps and shell. Likely not dealing with much pressure, but it's just poor practice.

The proper way to seal them is with a folded stainless gasket. It looks like a small "v" all the way around, and the two halves slightly compress it. Does a great job of sealing it up. Not sure where you'd buy 'em, but I know we have a ton lying around where I work, so they're out there.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: 3" V-band users....solution for leaks found. (Def)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Def &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The proper way to seal them is with a folded stainless gasket. It looks like a small "v" all the way around, and the two halves slightly compress it. Does a great job of sealing it up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep I know exactly what your talking about, we call them "E" seals not sure if thats the proper name for them, but most of the ducts that ive seen that have these seals have a recessed lip for the seal to sit in. you could buy them but finding a place that sells them could pose a challenge and they probably cost a mint.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member