Notices

2 questions: 15G turbo & shaft play

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 questions: 15G turbo & shaft play

1) will a 15G ported out more top end power then a stock greddy 15G?

2) is there a way to prevent shaft play on turbo's? seems all turbo's fall victim to it and im wondering if there's anyway to prevent it........does having alot of shaft play really hurt the motor/turbo that much?

thanks.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:44 AM

Default Re: 2 questions: 15G turbo & shaft play (ixiblindixi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ixiblindixi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1) will a 15G ported out more top end power then a stock greddy 15G? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It should. It's all about moving more air, right?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ixiblindixi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2) is there a way to prevent shaft play on turbo's? seems all turbo's fall victim to it and im wondering if there's anyway to prevent it........does having alot of shaft play really hurt the motor/turbo that much? </TD></TR></TABLE>

The real problem with shaft play is when there is so much that the compressor wheel hits the house and self destructs
Old 05-31-2004, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ixiblindixi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1) will a 15G ported out more top end power then a stock greddy 15G?

2) is there a way to prevent shaft play on turbo's? seems all turbo's fall victim to it and im wondering if there's anyway to prevent it........does having alot of shaft play really hurt the motor/turbo that much?

thanks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you had known ANYTHING ABOUT TURBOS you should know that shaft-play in a turbine unit is the number one reason for turbos blowing up...theres going to be contact within the compressor wheel and housing unit... the best way to get this problem solve is always check the turbo and have it maintained..... you must have a small turbo for a 15g right? td04 or t25??? GET A BIGGER TURBO!
Old 05-31-2004, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2 questions: 15G turbo & shaft play (JDMerzxCEO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMerzxCEO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you had known ANYTHING ABOUT TURBOS you should know that shaft-play in a turbine unit is the number one reason for turbos blowing up...theres going to be contact within the compressor wheel and housing unit... the best way to get this problem solve is always check the turbo and have it maintained..... you must have a small turbo for a 15g right? td04 or t25??? GET A BIGGER TURBO! </TD></TR></TABLE>

well i knew what you just said, my question is relates more i guess to what proper maintenance is aside from frequent oil changes and "checking up" on the motor/oil levels/tune. i was just curious about the ported 15G cus i was wondering if the greddy kit was worth it, if not im set on the T3 super 60.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ixiblindixi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well i knew what you just said, my question is relates more i guess to what proper maintenance is aside from frequent oil changes and "checking up" on the motor/oil levels/tune. i was just curious about the ported 15G cus i was wondering if the greddy kit was worth it, if not im set on the T3 super 60. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well besides removing the turbo charger to have the cartridge (center shft) checked and clean every 3-6000 miles the only other way to check is feeling the wheels and making sure there is not shaft play....GREDDY turbos are produced by mitsu turbos...from what i have experienced with the td-05 that comes on there gsr kits... it is a pretty reliable turbo....just get a turbo that everyone knows how to repair in the states...unlike an apex turbo which is produced by ihi....theres really no one that can repair them....just a thought