Notices

1yr., 1mo., and 6000 miles later..................

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1yr., 1mo., and 6000 miles later..................

It's time for a new clutch. I'm suprised that the stock one held this long. It not slipping that bad, but I guess it's time to start looking at upgrading to a new one. Before I do, does anyone have any websites that show a clutch install?

TIA,
Jimmy
Old 08-20-2001, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1yr., 1mo., and 6000 miles later.................. (Nfurno)

http://imglib.************/index.cgi?cmd=viewcat&id=11

Pictures of my clutch install. Remember to remove the LOWER starter bolt instead of the upper one and you will save a lot of time like I did not.

Dustin
Old 08-20-2001, 12:32 PM
New User

Default Re: 1yr., 1mo., and 6000 miles later.................. (dustin)

pretty cool do you have a narrative to go along with the pics? How long did it take ya?
Old 08-20-2001, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks dustin. Nice pics btw. Does anyone have any more websites prefferably with insturction? This will be my first clutch install.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1yr., 1mo., and 6000 miles later.................. (FAST94GSR)

No narrative... the helm manual works for that

It took a weekend because we could not get the transmission off the block for like 6 hours and gave up one night and finished the next day. I took the upper starter bolt out (superficial) instead of the long narrow one that goes ALL the way into the block. I could not figure out why the tranny would not come off the block.

If it is any consolation, on saturday I helped SeaDawg install a ClutchNet 6puck and a Clutchmasters flywheel and it took us just a little under 6 hours including stopping for lunch.

Dustin
Old 08-20-2001, 12:37 PM
New User

did you need to align the clutch or just does it simply bolt in? 6 hours isn't bad. I need to learn how to do that myself. How did you drop the tranny. did you use a jack? how bout getting it back up? Is it a pain to line everything up?
Old 08-20-2001, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's an idea....maybe I should pull out my helms manual. If it took you like 6hrs., then it should take me about 6weeks. lol. I have a feeling that is gonna be a long project. Btw, did you need any special tools?
Old 08-20-2001, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should probably get a clutch alignment tool, it makes things a lot easier. ACT clutches come with an alignment tool... all it does is center the clutch disc on the flywheel while you bolt the pressure plate on. If you just guess, the main shaft of the transmission might not fit in the pilot bearing when you go to put the transmission back on (since it is not in the center).

Just drain transmission fluid, take out passenger side axle, remove bottom section of headers (a pipe), unbolt the intermediate shaft from the block, remove tranny motor mount, disconnect all sensors, disconnect slave cylinder, unbolt all tranny->block bolts, remove the passenger side torque mount, unbolt the little braces from the transmission -> block (by the flywheel cover) remove the flywheel cover. unbolt transmission from rear engine mount. Disconnect stabilizer bar from tranny and unbolt shift linkage from shifter (easier than removing that darn 8mm pin!!) (You probably do not want to do these things in this order... but it should give you an idea of what is involved. I am leaving some stuff out.)

Then the tranny just pulls off and you can lower it down with a jack or have someone sit on the valve cover and let it down slowly. It weighs a little over 50lbs.

It is a pain to get it lined up to put the transmission back on. We ended up using a 2ft by 2ft board on top of a floor jack to hold it in place while we lined everything else up. I could not get the intermediate shaft to disconnect from the driver's axle so I just took the driver's wheel off and disconnected the suspension so I could get room to push the intermediate shaft back in the transmission. Once you get it lined up you can use the bolts to pull the tranny to the block.

Dustin
Old 08-20-2001, 12:50 PM
New User

sounds easy enough. i wouldn't do it on my car alone the first time. I'd have someone help ya who has done this before.
Old 08-20-2001, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No narrative... the helm manual works for that

It took a weekend because we could not get the transmission off the block for like 6 hours and gave up one night and finished the next day. I took the upper starter bolt out (superficial) instead of the long narrow one that goes ALL the way into the block. I could not figure out why the tranny would not come off the block.

If it is any consolation, on saturday I helped SeaDawg install a ClutchNet 6puck and a Clutchmasters flywheel and it took us just a little under 6 hours including stopping for lunch.

Dustin
HAHAHHA, that's so funny. It took me SOO long to figure out that the bottom starter bolt is actually a tranny bolt as well (couple years ago)!!! When I took it out and was like 6ft long I was like WTF?! Haha. Also, aligning the trasnmision shaft with the splines of the clutch took me FOREVER and the motor was sitting in the middle of my garage! There must be an easier way to align the splines on the tranny. I just rotated the transmision and turned the crank as well, but the shaft on the tranny was spining with the clutch (I had to put some lube on the end). Pain in the *** (it only took an hour or two, but it should only take like 30 secs). -C
Old 08-20-2001, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a word of advice. Get the Honda/Acura OEM throwout bearing and pilot bearing. The aftermarket ones seem to be crapola! Make sure you have a torque wrench to properly torque all the bolts. Oh yeah, make sure that you have the flywheel resurfaced, no matter how good it looks. Thats all I can think of now. Good luck!
Old 08-20-2001, 01:26 PM
New User

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b...ch/clutch.html has a nice step by step howto on installing a clutch... check it out.