Notices

* Catch Can Plan : Good or Bad ? '95 LS-T *

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default * Catch Can Plan : Good or Bad ? '95 LS-T *

Ok so I am searching for the "proper way" to assemble a catch can. And after reading through way too many threads on this subject, I have decided to start another one

Mainly just wanting to see if you guys concur with the theory/plans that all this reading has has resulted in up in my head.

Alright, so the way I see it the black box on the back of the block essentially is a catch can. The left hose on the top of it is the crank case vent hose running into the box and the right hose on top is the box's vacuum source coming from the IM. And the oil that the box catches drains back into the motor through the large freeze plug style hole the box is plugged into.

So what are the main problems with this OEM separater box ?

1. The box doesn't separate all of the oil or "blow by" from the air .... so some of it travels into the IM

2. In a boosted application the IM is nolonger a full time source of vacuum

So what is the simplest way to eliminate these down falls ?

<U>Fixing problem #1</U> - Use a better desing for a separater box. Meaning larger (mainly deeper) and baffled

<U>Fixing problem #2</U> - Use a new source of vacuum. One option would be a fitting in the air intake (preturbo).... and I have also heard that the best source is the exhaust, but I am lost as to how you get vacuum from the exhaust as it is blowing out rather than sucking in like the IM or air intake

The Plan

So if I take an air tight container (such as an after market catch can) that has three fittings in it..... one on the top, one in the middle, and one on the very bottom.... and contains baffling.....

I place this container high and dry (like where my battery used to be) and run hoses to it.

Hose #1 originally the hose that runs from the crank case port to the left port on the Black Box .... I run it from the crank case port to the catch can fitting located in the middle of the can.

Hose #2 Runs from the new vacuum source to the top fitting on the catch can.

Hose #3 Runs from the bottom fitting on the catch can to the left port on the top of the black box.... so that the oil accumulated in the catch can drains back into the block via the large hole the Black Box is plugged into.

Also, the port on the top right of the Black Box is plugged as it no longer requires vacuum. And the fitting on the IM is also plugged as it is no longer a source of vacuum.

Hows that sound ????
Old 02-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * Catch Can Plan : Good or Bad ? '95 LS-T * (jfoster)

Nobody has anything to say about this? Where are all the catch can perfectionists ?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this topic was beat to death last week, and on multiple other occasions...

summary: there are at least 5 or so common ways to run a catch can, if the search engine still works, check it out..
Old 02-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boondock Saint)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boondock Saint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think this topic was beat to death last week, and on multiple other occasions...

summary: there are at least 5 or so common ways to run a catch can, if the search engine still works, check it out..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that was kinda the problem. I searched and returned 777 results ... and after reading through many threads there seems to be quite a few different opinions as to how its done and which way is best.

I don't see any way my plan could result in anything worse than the stock set up.

Mainly wanted to see if someone would argue against my plan to drain back into the original hole in the block....as I have read multiple times that people plug that hole and use a different freeze plug...

I just don't see why ???

Old 02-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Boondock Saint)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boondock Saint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if the search engine still works, check it out..</TD></TR></TABLE>

everything known to hondas has been anwsered 10000's of times in these threads. if everyone searched, this would just be one huge data base, and no need for the forum.

so let the guy ask his questions...
Old 02-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (junkyard racer)

Yeah I mean I searched......this is just such a vast topic that I can't really nail down an answer.

Really just want to see what everyone thinks of my proposed set up as its not exactly like any of the ones I read about. Maybe someone could point out any possible draw backs of running it this way.