Notices

"new" to turbo, help me set up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "new" to turbo, need help w/ setup

i want high horsepower on command, but only on occasion (track meets and such). i plan on getting a beater to have as a daily driver, but id still like to drive my hatch as much as possible. keeping this in mind, here is what my situation is:

i have a b18a1, its going into my 90 civic hatch. right now the motor is bone stock but i am gutting all of the internals and selling them to help me (a little) cover the expenses of switching to turbo. i want to be able to attain and hold (safely) 450whp (on pump or racing gas, doesnt matter). i also want to be able to lower the boost to where i get like 200whp (if that would be safe for all of the components) when im just driving around town. im not opposed to an ls/vtec turbo set up so if that would help me gain power or torque then let me know. one of my friends said if i was going turbo, vtec wouldnt really matter anymore, but thats only one opinion.

i dont really know much about block work so i need to know what all i should get done, also what size turbo to use (and trim levels), best engine internals to use (size, brand, etc.), which brand intake manifold would best suite the set up, and what brand/model turbo accessories to use (wastegate, bov, intercooler, etc.).

Modified by og_hatch_90 at 9:15 PM 1/9/2006

Modified by og_hatch_90 at 1:00 AM 1/11/2006

Modified by og_hatch_90 at 1:12 AM 1/11/2006
Old 01-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "new" to turbo, help me set up. (og_hatch_90)

....someone..?
Old 01-10-2006, 10:34 PM

Default Re: "new" to turbo, help me set up. (og_hatch_90)

haha, i think the underlining confused poeple. your gonna need to work on your internals, ie pisotns rods, sleveing
Old 01-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "new" to turbo, help me set up. (97spooncivic)

i figured that much...thats why "new" is in quotes in the title. i need to know everything about high (20+) boost on an ls motor though, and what brand and size parts to use. if anyone is confused by my post just ask and ill clarify, i really need to start building a setup soon.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hate to be a hater but this is so vague....search button owns ya.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Teglove2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Teglove2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hate to be a hater but this is so vague....search button owns ya.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya know..after searching for quite a few hours..it seems to be a little easier to just ask. not to mention i may have questions that werent covered in a search returned post. i also dont see a point in bumping up a post that i found in a search that hasnt been active for several months. i need help/advice, not someone thinking that i havent searched telling me i need to. im not completely inexperienced when it comes to building a motor (or searching the internet for answers), i just want to know the best way to go about this build in particular as far as what size and brand parts to use. engine failure is an expensive problem and for the hp i want to acheive, i need to ask people with experience, thus bringing me here. thanks for the bump though.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "new" to turbo, need help w/ setup (og_hatch_90)

ok, just to let you know the level of help i need..someone just talked me out of getting an ssac turbo...c'mon people..need some answers
Old 01-11-2006, 09:46 AM

Wow so you want a complete setup list huh...

Keep your b18 block, get it sleeved, get forged internals. Throw a b16 head on there, along with a FR Stage 3GT kit (which comes with GT35R manifold along with the manifold and BOV and WG, but no fuel supplies). CTR cams, SuperTech built head (you can get the block, forged internals, and the built head all from earl.. maybe he can give you a cheaper price if you do it all at once.. Benson )

Then get a walbro 255, golden eagle fuel rail, some 780 injectors from RC.

If not your worried about overall cost, then id go with AEM or get NepTuned if its in your area..But Hondata is not a bad option, Tea-Father uses the Hondata s300 in his 9 second hatch (corect me if im wrong).

Id go with an exedy twin disk, but thats just my opinion.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (andysila)

thank you very much for the info. im currently runnin an exedy clutch on my d15 (i think its just an oe replacement) exedy puts a warning on their parts saying they will explode if pushed past "stock" redline or something, the clutch is only a few months old and it doesnt grab very hard (though it did when first installed). i was thinking more along the lines of a centerforce or act maybe.

i know im gonna need sleeves and forged pistons etc., what my question is, oversized or standard bore, and are there any problems with a certain company that i should know about.

as far as cams go i was going to use crower stage 2 (street/strip) turbo cams, as well as crower springs/retaingers/valves....but if ctr are better just let me know, or if there are cams better than crower for the money ($500 a set).

where can i get the turbo set mentioned? and would it be ok to run it on low boost (8-15) when im out on the town? where is "SuperTech" located and do they have a website, im in NC but im not opposed to getting work done out of state, i was gonna order a custom made IM/TB from cali, and eventually a built h22 for a future project.

are the rc 780's peak and hold or low impendance? i guess it wouldnt matter because i was planning on using an AEM EMS which is obd1+ anyways, but im just curious. also, does the EMS have a boost controller or would i have to buy one of those as well...
Old 01-11-2006, 07:34 PM

Sleeving: i would go with benson, his work has proven to withstand alot of power. I would go with an 84mm bore, which puts u at 2.0 liters..

CTR's are the best OEM cams out there. period.

http://www.full-race.com, i belive the rc 780's are low impendance. but correct me if im wrong

and yes AEM EMS has electronic boost controller
Old 01-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (og_hatch_90)

Sleeve the block (Benson is the most reputable, with Golden Eagle and AEBS being good as well), forged pistons (wiseco, cp, endyn), forged rods (manley, pauter, eagle, in that order imo), oem bearings. Get a vtec head, dual valvesprings and ti retainers (many, many good brands, search), ctr cams will be fine, full-race intake manifold, large injectors 780cc/min + (make sure they are HIGH impedance or use a resistor box, aem requires this), aem 3.5 bar map sensor, walbro 255lph fuel pump, stock fuel rail, fpr (aeromotive are one of the best, you could also use a b&m fpr, but if you have the money, why not an aeromotive?), full 3" or 4" stainless turbo back exhaust (if you can fit the 4" then do it), twin disk clutch (search on this), gsr tranny w/lsd (quaife or obx).

Build your own kit, this you will need to do some research for......seriously.

Manifolds (ramhorn, or equal length, maybe even topmount): Full-Race, OneFab, LoveFab, SpoolinPerformance, Neukin...ect

BOV's: Tial, HKS

WG's: Tial, Deltagate Evolution, ect.....

Large IC: search

IC piping: @ least 2.5" alum piping, 3" would be preferable (as long as this isn't a lot larger than the compressor outlet).

Turbo: Figure this out for yourself, you will learn a lot just doing this. First learn to read comp maps then the effects of a/r and housing size on boost threshold and efficiency.

That's all I can think of right now and am to lazy to write/think of anymore.

ps - 450whp on race gas is def do-able, on pump it will def be more difficult. Oh, and as far as the boost controller goes, AEM does NOT come with a boost controller, it comes with the ability to operate and tune an external boost controller. Many use the gm solenoid for this. GL.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KeyserSoze)

thanks to the main 2 sources of info on this so far. ive gotten a pretty good idea of what i need but a few things are still questionable. ill search for them first and post if needed.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for a boost controller i would go with the profec b electronic boost controller. for everything else i agree with the above. just make sure it's tuned right i.e. not running on an safc.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (h22boy)

what is "safc"?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

air fuel controller, if you are using the aem then you don't have to worry about it.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (andysila)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andysila &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...I would go with an 84mm bore, which puts u at 2.0 liters..</TD></TR></TABLE>

so far the only pistons ive found that are that big are CP pistons for a B20. would those fit on ls rods and not have any clearance issues with a b16 head? it said the comp ratio is 9.0:1, and with a b16 head and a thick headgasket im sure it would be less. are CP's good and is there any out there that are better?

something else has come to my attention. in every b series turbo'd 88-91 civic/crx, the stock radiator gets in the way. im not runnin ac on my car so could i relocate it or do i have to get a smaller one like on the 92+ civics?
Old 01-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much are you looking to spend???

Old 01-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lucidvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lucidvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much are you looking to spend???

</TD></TR></TABLE>
$1,000,000...lol jk. right now, roughly $13,500. thats tein ss damper kit, clutch, tranny, axles, built motor, turbo, and ems. probably around $14,250 after getting someone to tune it and stuff.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:51 PM

k series turbo is what you should do with that money
Old 01-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97spooncivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97spooncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">k series turbo is what you should do with that money </TD></TR></TABLE>

i aint rich..lol. honestly i would, but...i dunno..i dunno anything at all about k series, i recently found out the intake is in the front..just to show how far behind on them i am. ill stick to b and h series for now. next build will be an h22/23 del sol turbo.