Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Troubleshooting: New VTEC OEM ecu programmed to old key-- won't rev past4k

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting: New VTEC OEM ecu programmed to old key-- won't rev past4k

Hello everyone, I have own a 2003 Honda Civic lx coupe with a 1.7L jdm vtec long block swap in it. I drove the car around for a week or two on the non vtec manual ecu, the motor ran great it had good throttle response, low end torque really sluggish in the higher revs but thats because the vtec solenoid was not hooked up nor did I have the vtec ecu plugged in. I took my car to the Honda dealership to get my car key programed to the new used vtec ecu because of the immobilizer (NEVER BUY A CAR WITH A TRANSPONDER CHIP) but when they finished the check engine light was on and the motor would not rev passed 4k, like the rev limiter is set a 4k RPM. Please help. Thank you for your time all suggestions appreciated.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon7 Re: Troubleshooting: New VTEC OEM ecu programmed to old key-- won't rev past4k FIX!!

LIMP MODE FIXED!!!!!! I had several codes like coolant temp sensor, throttle position sensor and many others, if I reset the ecu by unhooking the battery or pulling the fuse out for a minute or two and then read the codes it came up with a vvti code (v-tec). I had the jdm vtec solenoid which does not have an oil pressure switch, so I bought the usdm one that does have the oil presser switch wired every thing up reset the ecu turned the motor over and boom no check engine light and it revs all the way to 7,200 rmp. Ill posed up the ecu and vtec pin out the dealer gave me because I cant find them anywhere online and I want other people to have them. For now vtec solenoid goes to connector b15, b being the b harness and 15 being the pin. For the oil presser switch the pin facing the firewall is the ground and the one facing the front of the car goes to b6.