Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Rich AFRs

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rich AFRs

Hey guys, my Crx randomly started running very rich. One day it was running fine, and the next morning it was running 10AFRs regardless if I'm cruising or boosting. I tried swapping my Hondata into another ecu already, but not loading my tune into another hondata motherboard. Fuel pressure is good. I haven't swapped wideband sensors yet, but it definitely smells rich. We've measured temps on each exhaust tube and they are all fairly uniform, so it doesn't appear to be injectors. Any other suggestions or ideas?

My set up is a 90 Crx with turbo LS Vtec. Ecu is Hondata s300 v3. Injectors are ID 1000s
​​​​​​
thanks!! I would love to get her back on the road.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rich AFRs

Wow you actually live close to me lol. What map sensor are you running? It’s possible your map sensor is bad or not reading properly.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's awesome! What town do you live in?
I need to check which one. I believe I have an Omni 3 bar. I have had one go out on me before. So definitely worth checking
Old 05-29-2018, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rsfire
That's awesome! What town do you live in?
I need to check which one. I believe I have an Omni 3 bar. I have had one go out on me before. So definitely worth checking
I live in Medford. Are you sure it’s a real Omni map sensor. I tuned a car recently that had a fake Omni map sensor and it was bad, we had to just run a stock map sensor instead. The fake one had a smaller Omni logo vs the real one.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok awesome! Do you ever go to the car meets or races down there? I definitely plan on going to the autox and hopefully drag strip once it's running again.
It ought to be real, I don't recall which website I ordered it from. I'll take a look at that logo next time I have a chance.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What issues did the fake Omni cause for you when tuning?
Old 05-29-2018, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I run at the drag strip some, don’t really go to many meets tho.

The fake omni map sensor was reading 10” or vacuum at idle when the boost/vac gauge read 21”. I knew something was wrong when I had to pull 70% fuel to get it to start haha.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I got ya! Well maybe I'll see you around. What is your car like? I'll need to keep an eye out.

Yes that's exactly what my old one did when it went bad. I checked it since this issue arose and it's spot on with my boost gauge.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I got ya! Well maybe I'll see you around. What is your car like? I'll need to keep an eye out.

Yes that's exactly what my old one did when it went bad. I checked it since this issue arose and it's spot on with my boost gauge.
Heres my current build.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...-time-3319179/

So you just checked and you map sensor is reading correctly?
Old 05-29-2018, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, very nice looking build!! I really like your backdoor Intercooler set up. That turned out great.
what times have you ran so far?

No I haven't checked it recently. I just checked it after it started having the issue and it looked normal then. But it's been sitting for a couple months while I was out of town.
I won't be able to check it again for a few days. Its at a friend's shop now.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, very nice looking build!! I really like your backdoor Intercooler set up. That turned out great.
what times have you ran so far?

No I haven't checked it recently. I just checked it after it started having the issue and it looked normal then. But it's been sitting for a couple months while I was out of town.
I won't be able to check it again for a few days. Its at a friend's shop now.
Thanks man. It went 11.0@128 first time out on a conservative street tune I did with methanol injection. I just retuned it on e85 and it probably picked up a good 50whp or so.

Ok well something had to of changed. How long was it sitting? Could be an injector or 2 sticking open, do the plugs look to be burning the same? Who tuned the car originally?
Old 05-29-2018, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're welcome! Dang you were so close to breaking 10s!! I bet you will no problem now. How do you like e85 so far? Is that 50hp at the same boost level? And is that flex fuel or strictly e85 tune? I've been debating going flex fuel.

I don't know what could have changed. I was in Roseburg and it had not had any issues. Then I went to visit a friend in grants pass and the next morning it would only run 10AFRs.
Joe at Treal performance tuned last December if I recall.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And we tested the heat on each exhaust runner. If an injector was sticking it should be way lower temps. So not completely ruled out, but I don't think the injectors are the issue.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're welcome! Dang you were so close to breaking 10s!! I bet you will no problem now. How do you like e85 so far? Is that 50hp at the same boost level? And is that flex fuel or strictly e85 tune? I've been debating going flex fuel.

I don't know what could have changed. I was in Roseburg and it had not had any issues. Then I went to visit a friend in grants pass and the next morning it would only run 10AFRs.
Joe at Treal performance tuned last December if I recall.
Yeah at the same 20psi, but with a more aggressive tune. I like to keep it really conservative on pump/meth for multiple reasons lol. I have 2 separate tunes one for pump/meth and the other for straight e85. And yes I love love love e85 haha. If you have the fuel system to support it, it’s definitely worth the switch imo.

That is strange man. Maybe your tune got corrupted or something idk. Maybe try to upload your tune again. That’s good it was tuned by a legit tuner tho. Really weird man, without logging it myself and seeing all the sensor readings I’m not sure at the moment haha.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow that's such a big increase! I've heard nothing but good things about e85. How much power are you making now with e85?
i believe all I need is to check my fuel pump or get a new e85 compatible pump and then get a flex fuel sensor.
I have tried reflashing my tune again and my old tune for the heck of it. Nothing makes a difference. I'm going to meet up with Langford on Thursday, if you know him. He's going to go over the tune and see if he has any luck adjusting it. I'm just trying to get some other ideas gathered before then. He doesn't have much time to spare lol
Old 05-29-2018, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow that's such a big increase! I've heard nothing but good things about e85. How much power are you making now with e85?
i believe all I need is to check my fuel pump or get a new e85 compatible pump and then get a flex fuel sensor.
I have tried reflashing my tune again and my old tune for the heck of it. Nothing makes a difference. I'm going to meet up with Langford on Thursday, if you know him. He's going to go over the tune and see if he has any luck adjusting it. I'm just trying to get some other ideas gathered before then. He doesn't have much time to spare lol
Well it’s street tuned so I don’t know exactly, but based on my trap speed it was a little more then 400whp so now it’s probably around 450whp. I’ll have to wait and see what it traps next time out. Should go easy tens. I’m running a walbro 450 and id1000cc at 65psi base fuel pressure and I’m at 80% duty cycle.

I’m not familiar with Langford. Is he a local tuner? Hopefully he can help you out. Im curious to know what you find out man.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is awesome! You're definitely putting down some good power. How much does your car weigh? I'm hoping to hit 400 down the road once I get bigger cams/intake/exhaust turbine housing.

Yep he owns a shop and does tuning. He's pretty dang good! Just busy. I'll let you know if I figure it out.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is awesome! You're definitely putting down some good power. How much does your car weigh? I'm hoping to hit 400 down the road once I get bigger cams/intake/exhaust turbine housing.

Yep he owns a shop and does tuning. He's pretty dang good! Just busy. I'll let you know if I figure it out.
Interesting I’ve never heard of him. Where is his shop located and what it called? He have a dyno too?
Old 05-30-2018, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah his shop is pretty new, but he's well known around here. His shop is BL Performance in Roseburg
Old 05-30-2018, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He doesn't have a dyno now, last I heard he rents one a bit north of Roseburg
Old 06-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally found the problem. One of the wideband wires down near the exhaust had somehow gotten severed. Runs well now!

And it sounds like before too long he should be getting his friends Dynapack dyno
Old 06-02-2018, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally found the problem. One of the wideband wires down near the exhaust had somehow gotten severed. Runs well now!

And it sounds like before too long he should be getting his friends Dynapack dyno
Good deal man. Glad you got it figured out and that it was a simple fix.

That would be awesome if he gets a dyno. I’ll definitely make the trip up there when he does.