Notices

Still trying to get Hondata running with large injectors. need help with base maps...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still trying to get Hondata running with large injectors... Problem solved!!

I previously posted about having problems getting my Hondata running for the first time and didn't know what was going on. Now I believe I'm just running way too rich, and I'm just tring to get a base map to work with my 780cc injectors so I can go visit my tuner. He's on vaca right now, and he left me with two other Base maps to try. one with 10% less fuel and another with 20% less fuel. I tried both of those and I still get the same behavior with all of them...

I lowered the fpr to about 27psi@idle but now its at 32psi@idle.

Can anyone help me with base maps for Hondata? I need either another existing base map to try or if I can send someone the files I have to modify them??

Here's a description of the cars current behavior:

-idles and drives semi ok (still boggs some) when motor is cold
-smells like an open gas can
-drove about a total of 10-15 miles, over half tank missing
-after motor warms up to temp, boggs real bad (not really drivable)
-" ", idles around 100rpm
-stalls sometimes at idle
-engine check light comes on sometime, but then goes off (when it almost stalls)
-exhaust temp sometimes goes up to 11-1200 deg while driving real slow, but then goes back down

I think thats all the crazyness...

if your wondering about my setup please click the link on my sig and scroll down to the bottom of page1.

thanks!

Modified by turbosi03 at 8:07 AM 6/3/2003
Old 05-28-2003, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Still trying to get Hondata running with large injectors. need help with base maps... (turbosi03

Well, I am running 800cc injectors. I set my base fuel pressure at 45psi. I think yours is low. Set it to stock 43 or a little above. For me, mine was running very lean on the low end and I think it is because the big injectors take forever to open compared to smaller ones. Mine is still lean and I am richening it up now.
I am no Hondata Rom Editor expert but I am learning more and more on the software everyday. Did you create a base map using the built in calculator in the Rom Editor?

What is your Hondata setup? I couldn't find it on your site? I am a Version 3 S200 user.

Edit, mine idles good but still could use some tweaking. My EGT hasn't gone above 800 yet.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Still trying to get Hondata running with large injectors. need help with base maps... (turbosi03

He has set his FP at 43psi. He has changed his FP a couple times. Bump for a good guy.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:41 AM

most of our car a 1000cc inj. on hondata, daily driven. fuel pressure at 38psi. if you need base map email me. remember every car is different. GROUNDZEROMOTORSPORTS.COM
Old 05-28-2003, 09:52 AM

well Im sure that this wont help any but a "BASE MAP" is just to get you to get it tuned were did you buy your hondata from? and damn thoose are some big injectors, good luck and try to get it tuned ASAP.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:49 AM
sgT
Honda-Tech Member

you need tuning. running close to stock with 700+cc injectors is no problem.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn too bad you dont have an LS. I run 780s, its not the most perfect tune but it runs well. Do you have the means to create a new base map?
Old 05-28-2003, 12:19 PM

I had similar problems and it was a pain in the ***. After checking pretty much everything it ended up being the 3 bar was wired incorrectly and it ran so shitty. Never threw a code and hondata never showed anything was wrong. Do you know what code the ecu threw??
Old 05-28-2003, 07:35 PM

Yeah, I'm running an S100 w/boost, but I don't have the rom editor stuff so I can't create base maps. My tuner sent me two files before he left for vaca. (I can burn chips though) I tried both of them and it still runs rich so I don't know if I'm going in the right direction with this, or am i just not able to get a base map to run these injectors...?

If someone can modify one of my base maps to try to lean it more, or maybe send me a file for a simular setup... I can burn it to a rom chip and find out if it works?

Otherwize I have to put the stock injectors back on and disconnect the Hondata until I see my tuner. I would like to at least know its only a problem with the maps, and not the setup, my tuner is a 5-6hr ride so I want to solve any problems before I go.

I don't know what the ecu code was, the engine light only went on for a split second about 4 times total.

The date for tuning is June 20th. In the mean time this is my daily driver (lucky for me my commute is only 8min back roads), plus the long haul to my tuner so I have to get this running...

I know you guys can help me out of this jam

Old 05-28-2003, 08:20 PM
New User

You need to ADD fuel, not reduce it. Think of injectors like a door. Small doors can open and close quickly without much effort. Larger doors require more effort to open and close quickly. Thus you need to add fuel, lots of it, on the lower end, to compensate for injector lag time. I don't have any maps to give you, but try bumping fuel pressure until the car runs better once it's warm. Older Hondata software created maps have a cold start bug that causes overfueling when cold.

HTH
Old 05-29-2003, 10:38 AM

update:

I ran the car up to temp at lunch, then tried to rise the fuel up to about 50psi and the idle got worse, it was about to stall but when reving the engine it seemed fine. I had to turn the fuel back down to drive back to work because it would have stalled with the high fuel (at idle).

I also noticed a correlation between EGT and A/F guage (after motor warms up). the A/F goes red when I try to accelerate and the EGT goes up, until I let off the gas (approching idle) the A/F will sometimes bounce to green (piece of **** gauge) and the EGT quickly goes back down. It makes sense that both guages indicate I'm going lean at some point while driving then I'm too rich at idle... ??

this makes me wonder if I just need to turn the fuel maps down at idle only, then rise the fuel pressure. let me know what you think?

PS: Vaportrail, great info man... your awesome!
Old 05-29-2003, 04:28 PM

bump for help...
Old 05-30-2003, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for update.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> he left me with two other Base maps to try. one with 10% less fuel and another with 20% less fuel. I tried both of those and I still get the same behavior with all of them... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is that 10% and 20% lower than stock? Or 10-20% lower than what it'd be when running 780cc injectors? Maybe your tuner heard incorrectly, and assumed 10-20% less than stock would suffice when in actuality you'd need a LOT less than stock with over double the size injectors? I'm probably wrong, but it might be worth seeing if someone else can give you a base-tune to work with that figures in the large injectors.

Good luck,

Ryan P.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hallelujah! Problems have been fixed and he is going to see his tuner when he gets back from vacation. I will let him post the rest.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:05 AM

Problem solved!

All that was caused by the homemade resistor box! I changed it to an oem resistor box and like magic, all the problems went away...

I couldn't believe it, I know the homemade box is kinda hack, but I think I did a pretty good job on making one. turns out the oem box measured 6ohms, while I used 10ohms for my box. some people say they use 10ohms in their setup and it works...? I was told to match the stock injector impedence so I did (12ohms inc. large injecotrs). here's the homemade box:

A lesson learned... use the OEM resistor box.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Problem solved!

All that was caused by the homemade resistor box! I changed it to an oem resistor box and like magic, all the problems went away...

I couldn't believe it, I know the homemade box is kinda hack, but I think I did a pretty good job on making one. turns out the oem box measured 6ohms, while I used 10ohms for my box. some people say they use 10ohms in their setup and it works...? I was told to match the stock injector impedence so I did (12ohms inc. large injecotrs). here's the homemade box:

A lesson learned... use the OEM resistor box. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Glad to hear you got it working. I looked at your map and it looked fine. Did you get my PM? I never heard from you is why I was asking?
Old 06-03-2003, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He never answers PM's. Must have active scripting turned off