Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Burning Chips with NepTune RTP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning Chips with NepTune RTP?

I just bought a Demon/NepTune RTP package along with Burn2 to do street tunes for friends, and just burn a chip for their chipped ECU's when all is done. I can't find any way to burn a chip directly in NepTune. NepTune files will not work on the Burn2 through Flash-N-Burn as they are NepTune specific, exporting makes a .map.ncl so they are still in NepTune format. I cannot copy out of NepTune and paste into Chrome.

Can I run my Demon via mini usb and plug my Burn2 in at the same time running the Demon through the Burn2 to capture a .bin of my map to burn to a chip? Is it possible it will damage my Demon? Can anyone offer me an alternative? I would greatly appreciate some advice and help.

Thank you.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Burning Chips with NepTune RTP?

http://www.hrtuning.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

Did you check with JR?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The answer is: you cannot perform this function unless you are an authorized neptune dealer.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mtber is correct. You must be a dealer to burn chips.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then all of the $800 worth of hardware and software I bought it useless. Looks like it is going back.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:08 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

neptune is not freeware. Its not worthless at all. Should have just done your research a little better before trying to skim off the top of another business.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not skimming by any means. I just thought that if you were going to pay for something it should do everything you need.

For instance in Hondata I can copy my tables into Chrome after setting my columns and rows as close as possible and tuning. Neptune wont even let me copy MY tune into a spreadsheet. Sweet.

Chrome, Hondata, etc support the burning of chips AS WELL AS RTP.

I love the software, it was easy to use for the most part though there are a few minor things I don't quite like but with time I will get used to them and figure them out. But why is there freeware doing something a program I paid for wont?

And no one answered my question as to whether I can read the hex/binary that is coming from the Demon to go to the ECU without hurting anything. And I would like a legitimate answer, not you can't do that because it's not supported in the software. I want to know about the hardware.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

so you thought because you bought software and hardware intended to only be used on one car, to be used on multiple cars, for you to make money on without having to pay license fees and then say it doesnt do everything you need? And you think the owner is going to provide you with a way to hack the system to do something its not intended to do?

just FYI, you cannot burn hondata chips without being a dealer. CROME is freeware, pretty much sums that up.......
neptune isnt hondata and doesnt compare to hondata (positive way).

why would you need to copy your tables into a spreadsheet if its use was only intended to be used on one car?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Um, people own burners. And one car? Do you need a license or only be able to run a Hondata unit on one car? And no you do not need to be a Hondata dealer to burn their chips for S100/S200 because I have done it before.

Thats ridiculous. Who said I was making money on street tuning Friends cars? I never did. Plus I'd imagine I cannot even buy a dealer license if I had wanted to since "I don't have a store front". Which is the response I get from every company, also being that they cannot make money that way, and I probably couldn't afford to pay multiple thousands on a software license [I don't know the price but I'd like to assume its out of my price range].

And I'd like to be able to copy my tables because it is just that MINE. It is my tune, my knowledge, my intellectual property. Even IF their software aided in the creation, it is not NepTune/HRTuning's property within the tune.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMBoostedDA
It is my tune, my knowledge, my intellectual property. Even IF their software aided in the creation, it is not NepTune/HRTuning's property within the tune.
This is where you are COMPLETELY wrong.

The code that is stored in that "tune file" is the intellectual property of HRTUNING, not you. Just because it allows you to edit some of the tables in the ROM does not mean that it should be considered your "property". This is the reason you are not allowed to burn a chip with the RTP version of the software. The only thing you paid for was a single license to be used with your RTP and it is tied to a single car at a time.

If you want to do anymore than this, it will require the Dealer Version of the program. Plain and simple.

Countless hours goes into the development of the code base for NepTune and it is not intended to be used for free. This is the very reason Crome no longer exists for any real updates. If people would understand how much time and effort goes into these types of programs and code bases, maybe things would be different.

And btw, NepTune does not use the same fuel OR ignition routines as Crome OR any other software that is out there. So to copy/paste your fuel/ignition tables into another program just to burn a chip would be pointless.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well my Burn2 would not read any info from the Demon unit. The buffer was empty, I checked the Hex, no matter the offset. So. Looks like I will do everything by hand in Chrome.

Sorry to anyone who thought I was being an ***, just very frustrating that the tune is my property and I even PAID for a license and I can't copy my own material. But oh well, still good software minus that and I will continue to use it in my own car and during the tuning of others.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please return your NepTune stuff, I'm sure whoever you purchased from will be willing to give you a refund. You're purchasing a license to use the NepTune software and intellectual resources that went into the NepTune code base to create your tune and I'm sorry that you've misunderstood how the system works. I hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to assume that was John who just posted.

With that said you're going to tell me that any photo created with Adobe Photoshop is the property of Adobe? That just because I used their software to create it, it remains theirs? That they don't allow me to copy things to paste into other softwares, that I cannot use their files with anyone elses software?

You sir are high. You should do some research on copyright laws, intellectual property, etc.

JR. I am fine with it. I will use the NepTune program with the Demon. And Crome free with the Burn2.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMBoostedDA
With that said you're going to tell me that any photo created with Adobe Photoshop is the property of Adobe? That just because I used their software to create it, it remains theirs? That they don't allow me to copy things to paste into other softwares, that I cannot use their files with anyone elses software?

You sir are high. You should do some research on copyright laws, intellectual property, etc.
Sure, I am definitely High.

But seeing how Adobe Photoshop ALSO has a license to allow you to do such things in an UNLIMITED fashion, that would not be a problem. And also seeing how the file format is not the direct creation or ownership of Adobe, it just allows you the GUI to access and edit the format of the files.

I was directly referring to the NepTune CODEBASE as HRtuning's intelectual property. If you want to relate the "Table Values" to your "intelectual property" then sure, you created them.

But as a WHOLE the binary after creation and assembly, to me is still the property of HRTUNING, hence why you would pay for it to burn it onto a chip... which is how the dealer system works.

Everyone will have their own opinion on this subject, so if you want to discuss something like this further take it to PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will agree that the codebase to create the binary is their property. I will not further discuss the subject.

I have found my answer(s).

Thank you all for the discussion.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The tune you create is your intellectual property. The code base that houses them is not. Just like the jpeg file format that houses your images is not. etc etc. No need to argue this. We all are on the same page.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:48 PM

I call Miss Cleo and she converts the RTP files for me to .bin free of charge!