Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

AEM 30-4110 UEGO Inaccurate Readings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default AEM 30-4110 UEGO Inaccurate Readings?

I just got my car dyno tuned the other day but my tuner noticed that my AEM UEGO wideband is reading anywhere from.5 - 1.5 lower than his AFR reader (the one he stuck in exhaust tail pipe). He told me that AEM wideband sensors go bad very fast and that they are not accurate. Has anyone else had this issue? Now I'm thinking about switching out to PLX wideband ....
Old 05-12-2018, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: AEM 30-4110 UEGO Inaccurate Readings?

I have never heard that they go bad fast. They use a Bosch sensor which is a quality unit. Personally I've had the same AEM wideband for 7 years. Still on the original sensor and working great.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have great success with aem too. Analog or digital no problem here
Old 05-13-2018, 03:09 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

More than likely a slight leak somewhere in the exhaust was drawing air in making his sensor read lean.

Less likely that the sensor is bad and only reading a little bit off from a working one.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0
More than likely a slight leak somewhere in the exhaust was drawing air in making his sensor read lean.

Less likely that the sensor is bad and only reading a little bit off from a working one.
^^^ That right there. Especially since he was docked at the tail pipe, he's got the whole system to worry about. Could be a leak between your sensor and the tail..
Old 05-17-2018, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we tune about 15 cars a week at our shop. About 2 out of 10 cars that have aem widebands, the AEM reads much richer at higher throttle than the dyno wideband reads. And 90% of these vehicles reading richer have the dyno widebands in a bung within only a couple inches of the AEM. AEM widebands are the only ones I've seen do this, and it's extremely common. Common enough that I've actually had to make charts for customers so they know what their AFR actually is according to the false [yet consistent] readings from the AEM. Some read only a couple tenths richer, some read 1.5 richer. It seems to get worse the richer it is too. As in when the dyno reads 14.7, AEM reads ~14.4, dyno reads 13.0 AEM reads 12.4, dyno reads 11.8 AEM reads 10.2. I've seen it happen with aged sensors, brand new sensors, backyard wiring, and professional wiring. Time and time again I've determined it's simply a fault with AEM widebands, and the only cure is to not use AEM.
I have never seen PLX or Innovate do this. And this is the exact reason why I only use Innovate widebands for street tuning.

Side note; Innovate temp gauges are terribly inaccurate.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:37 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
we tune about 15 cars a week at our shop. About 2 out of 10 cars that have aem widebands, the AEM reads much richer at higher throttle than the dyno wideband reads. And 90% of these vehicles reading richer have the dyno widebands in a bung within only a couple inches of the AEM. AEM widebands are the only ones I've seen do this, and it's extremely common. Common enough that I've actually had to make charts for customers so they know what their AFR actually is according to the false [yet consistent] readings from the AEM. Some read only a couple tenths richer, some read 1.5 richer. It seems to get worse the richer it is too. As in when the dyno reads 14.7, AEM reads ~14.4, dyno reads 13.0 AEM reads 12.4, dyno reads 11.8 AEM reads 10.2. I've seen it happen with aged sensors, brand new sensors, backyard wiring, and professional wiring. Time and time again I've determined it's simply a fault with AEM widebands, and the only cure is to not use AEM.
I have never seen PLX or Innovate do this. And this is the exact reason why I only use Innovate widebands for street tuning.

Well sh*t, that doesn't add to my confidence level! I've been using a 7 year old AEM to street tune mine for 1.5 years now.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was looking into the PLX widebands and noticed that they also use Bosch sensors (just like AEM). It seems, then, that AEM's problem is the wideband unit itself not translating the readings correctly rather than faulty Bosch sensors?

Last edited by porofek; 05-20-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by porofek
I was looking into the PLX widebands and noticed that they also use Bosch sensors (just like AEM). It seems, then, that AEM's problem is the wideband unit itself not translating the readings correctly then rather than faulty Bosch sensors?
correct. In fact, nearly ALL widebands use Bosch sensors, including Innovate, which is my preferred system for tuning.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dyno sensor is where measuring?? at exhaust tip? or in downpipe?
Old 04-30-2019, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: I've switched out my AEM to PLX widebands and had a tune recently (Feb 2019). The PLX and my tuner's AFR readings were both reading the same. Nothing changed here except the fact that I went turbo but I do have the same exhaust setup as before. In retrospect, I loved how the AEM gauges looked (compared to PLX) where the dials matched up perfectly with my ITRs cluster. It's unfortunate the units do not read accurately.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I've switched out my AEM to PLX widebands and had a tune recently (Feb 2019). The PLX and my tuner's AFR readings were both reading the same. Nothing changed here except the fact that I went turbo but I do have the same exhaust setup as before. In retrospect, I loved how the AEM gauges looked (compared to PLX) where the dials matched up perfectly with my ITRs cluster. It's unfortunate the units do not read accurately.
Are both the AEM gauge and analog output off? I can't remember but I believe the gauge and analog output gave me different readings. I will have to double check when I have the car back together.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good to hear your setup works well now. Thank you for the update