Notices

Rod bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rod bearing question

so I wanna replace a rod bearing in my b18c1. It’s bored to bigger pistons and I believe it’s golden eagle rods and sleeves. I looked on rock auto and they’re are regular and under sized rod bearings. Which ones should I get having different internals? I’m not sure if it changes or what’s in there now if they’re regular or a different size.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Rod bearing question

1.)Wrong sub-forum.

2.)Nobody here can answer this question for you. You will have to take the engine apart and measure the rod journals and big end bore to figure out what you need. If it's a virgin crank, you will likely need standard bearings but you won't know until you measure.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM_ego2033
so I wanna replace a rod bearing in my b18c1. It’s bored to bigger pistons and I believe it’s golden eagle rods and sleeves. I looked on rock auto and they’re are regular and under sized rod bearings. Which ones should I get having different internals? I’m not sure if it changes or what’s in there now if they’re regular or a different size.
Depends on what you want to do with the engine itself and what clearances you'll want or need for that purpose; boost? N/A? Race? Daily driver? Daily driver with light track use, i.e. mixed use? Too many considerations to narrow down an answer for ya right off the bat..
Old 05-06-2018, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It’s N/A street car the motors built but I’m not gonna build it to a track car or anything. I may boost it down the road but for right now it’s just an all motor quick street car. I guess what I’m trying to say is even if it has after market internals could it still have stock Integra bearings and if not what happens if one bearing is different? I’m assuming it’ll lead to messing up the rod or somethhing
Old 05-06-2018, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It’s N/A street car the motors built but I’m not gonna build it to a track car or anything. I may boost it down the road but for right now it’s just an all motor quick street car. I guess what I’m trying to say is even if it has after market internals could it still have stock Integra bearings and if not what happens if one bearing is different? I’m assuming it’ll lead to messing up the rod or somethhing
You can use standard bearings as a start, I am running skunk2 alpha rods and am using clevite standard bearings, for instance. Depending on the condition of your crank journals, you **may** need to mix and match sizes though to hit your desired clearances. For instance, let's say you want .0015 clearance. You **might** need one set to be a standard and oversize. It's a crapshoot at best. You can easily overthink and underthink the situation entirely. One thing to do is order a set of standards and see where you're at when the smoke clears. Install those and check your clearances and see if that worked or if you need to order additional sizes.
If money isn't a concern, order one set of each; standard, under, over. Clevite standards put me at a perfect .0015 on all rods, BUT, that's also my particular situation. Methinks I just got lucky lol!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
You can use standard bearings as a start, I am running skunk2 alpha rods and am using clevite standard bearings, for instance. Depending on the condition of your crank journals, you **may** need to mix and match sizes though to hit your desired clearances. For instance, let's say you want .0015 clearance. You **might** need one set to be a standard and oversize. It's a crapshoot at best. You can easily overthink and underthink the situation entirely. One thing to do is order a set of standards and see where you're at when the smoke clears. Install those and check your clearances and see if that worked or if you need to order additional sizes.
If money isn't a concern, order one set of each; standard, under, over. Clevite standards put me at a perfect .0015 on all rods, BUT, that's also my particular situation. Methinks I just got lucky lol!
thanks a lot man, I got a couple things going on right now but should be in the clear when everything’s checked. I need an oil pan gasket and to get my headers to set properly so I figured I’m gonna get the bearing set, drop the headers and the pan to check my bearings and fix all that while I’m down there. Then it’s just valve clearances and hopefully after that I’ll know if that noise is caused by something or just normal for what my engine has in it
Old 05-07-2018, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if that noise is caused by something or just normal for what my engine has in it
Now you've opened Pandora's box.. What noise? What rods and pistons? Know any other info about the build? Ring gap specs, piston to wall clearances, cylinders and/or girdle notched, etc? You may have a simple issue, or a big one. Might be normal, could be catastrophic. Need more info though lol!