connecting rod question

 
Old 05-25-2019, 01:49 PM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
5genhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: south sf 94080
Posts: 161
Default connecting rod question

picked up a b16 torn apart by original owner. no 2 cyl threw a rod bearing. I was able to put each rod cap to matched rod with help of a bright light and a magnifying glass. my question is does a bad rod bearing require the connecting rod to be replaced? I can't really find any online and would rather not spend 350 on a set of h beam rods. I sourced a new crank which is at the machine shop getting polished out right now.
5genhatch is offline  
Old 05-25-2019, 06:54 PM
  #2  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ahonerachenaldo
Posts: 88
Default Re: connecting rod question

It depends on extent of damage. Visually examine big end bore of rod with bearing shells removed then compare bore and appearance with a micrometer with the other 3. rods bearings are a softer material and will generally tear the crank up before affecting rods. If you spun the bearing then the rod needs machine work or replacement.
Honderachinaldo is offline  
Old 05-25-2019, 06:56 PM
  #3  
Trial User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
Default Re: connecting rod question

How can i get it?
Lạc Việt audio is offline  
Old 05-25-2019, 07:00 PM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ahonerachenaldo
Posts: 88
Default Re: connecting rod question

I'd really like to see an aftermarket rod built for n/a that's lighter than factory yet adequately durable.
Honderachinaldo is offline  
Old 05-25-2019, 08:02 PM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
 
motoxxxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CT, US
Posts: 2,364
Default Re: connecting rod question

Originally Posted by 5genhatch View Post
picked up a b16 torn apart by original owner. no 2 cyl threw a rod bearing. I was able to put each rod cap to matched rod with help of a bright light and a magnifying glass. my question is does a bad rod bearing require the connecting rod to be replaced? I can't really find any online and would rather not spend 350 on a set of h beam rods. I sourced a new crank which is at the machine shop getting polished out right now.
just give the rods to the machine shop. they can mic them and see of they need re-sizing, which is fairly inexpensive. As long as there's no easily visible damage to the big end bore, they can usually be re-used no problem with proper sizing.
motoxxxman is offline  
Old 05-25-2019, 08:12 PM
  #6  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ahonerachenaldo
Posts: 88
Default Re: connecting rod question

Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
just give the rods to the machine shop. they can mic them and see of they need re-sizing, which is fairly inexpensive. As long as there's no easily visible damage to the big end bore, they can usually be re-used no problem with proper sizing.
Hey you can also inspect the big end bore for visual damage. D-f?
Honderachinaldo is offline  
Old 05-25-2019, 08:41 PM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The South - Roll Tide !!!
Posts: 3,437
Default Re: connecting rod question

Originally Posted by Honderachinaldo View Post
I'd really like to see an aftermarket rod built for n/a that's lighter than factory yet adequately durable.
Crower Max-Lite.
JRCivic1 is offline  
Old 05-26-2019, 07:35 AM
  #8  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ahonerachenaldo
Posts: 88
Default Re: connecting rod question

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
Crower Max-Lite.
That's right. I never read specs on those, was just assuming they went for oe weight. Molnars were +35gr on f23, which isn't bad.

Um... yeah, If you didn't spin the bearing rod's prob fine(tboned the eff out his thread oops)
Honderachinaldo is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 07:28 AM
  #9  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
5genhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: south sf 94080
Posts: 161
Default Re: connecting rod question

Thanks for the replies guys. So my thought are.. the engine didn't actually "spin" a bearing. There would be grooves from the lock tabs if I'm not mistaken.. and i can still see the cross hatched pattern on the rod surface itself. So i may be good to reuse these rods? That'll be my plan for now
5genhatch is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 08:48 AM
  #10  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ahonerachenaldo
Posts: 88
Default Re: connecting rod question

Originally Posted by 5genhatch View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. So my thought are.. the engine didn't actually "spin" a bearing. There would be grooves from the lock tabs if I'm not mistaken.. and i can still see the cross hatched pattern on the rod surface itself. So i may be good to reuse these rods? That'll be my plan for now
That cross hatch is exactly what u want to see. You could have it miked but I myself would use my powers of assumption and maybe plastigauge after reassembly in motor. Should be fine.
Honderachinaldo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: