Notices

Cam Journal Repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Journal Repairable?

Hello,

Looking to see peoples opinions on if these cam journals are repairable?

Just bought this head and didn't notice the scoring on the timing belt side cam journals until I got home.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 03-11-2016, 07:50 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Cam Journal Repairable?

I saw somewhere, maybe honda-tech, where the person found a machinist who machined the head to take cam bearings.

The machinist also made the custom 3 layer bearings.

It is not very common at all if you can find anyone who can do it. I'm sure it will run you a pretty coin.

It's a serious stretch but is the only likely repair that doesn't require new camshafts custom ground to fit a regrind of the journals.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Cam Journal Repairable?

Yeah I saw that. I probably don't have repair shop around. Probably got screwed on the deal. Paid 550 for block, head, moroso oil pan. Did come with new oil oem oil pump and ls crank. Block missing vin and head scrap. Going to take to machine shop and see. Fml.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

actually yes that is fairly easily repairable. the process basically just involves shaved the whole top of the head about 0.001"-0.002", then removing all the locating pins from the caps and shaving them the same amount, then assembling to proper torque spec and align-honing to proper bore spec.

I've actually done it by hand to one of my heads before. it wasnt perfect because I couldnt properly align-hone it, but it worked great.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
actually yes that is fairly easily repairable. the process basically just involves shaved the whole top of the head about 0.001"-0.002", then removing all the locating pins from the caps and shaving them the same amount, then assembling to proper torque spec and align-honing to proper bore spec.

I've actually done it by hand to one of my heads before. it wasnt perfect because I couldnt properly align-hone it, but it worked great.
That's first uplifting news since spending the money. I am going to take to a machine shop and see what they will charge me.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if they try to suggest cam bearings, walk away lol.
and a heads up, prices for the work I described vary widely from shop to shop, often depending on the machinery they use, the market for machining in the area, and the experience of such work by the employees.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Going to call machine shop on monday and see what they say. So far I have a $550 moroso oil pan and oem oil pump. F'ing sucks.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
if they try to suggest cam bearings, walk away lol.
and a heads up, prices for the work I described vary widely from shop to shop, often depending on the machinery they use, the market for machining in the area, and the experience of such work by the employees.
I highly doubt they will suggest machining in bearing inserts. For one thing, I don't think cam bearing inserts are widely available. The one guy I read that had this done had the inserts custom made from the same guy who machined in the inserts. Googling doesn't show many results so definitely an obscure method.

What you described is much easier to do and is in line with most any machine shop equipment. Probably much more common.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure if its just the pictures, but they dont look so horrible that i wouldnt run them.... Were the cams chewed up that came out of it? Looks like there was an oiling issue or improper timing belt tension. I'm sure you could find a machine shop somewhere to do it but it would probably be cheaper to find a different core