Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

H2B Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H2B Shifting Problems (NAH2B)

cool. let me know if i can help
Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 PM
King of the One Liners

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H2B Shifting Problems (evogrl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by evogrl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Greetings,
First off just to clarify a few things. I can guarantee you that an "engineer" from Evolution would not tell you to go and "merely" shave off a few thousandths on the face of a flywheel that was so intricately designed.

Second of all, we have sold hundreds and hundreds of kits and have not had a complaint that led to the design nor manufacturing of the kit.

Thirdly, for you to blatently make a comment on mere theory as fact in regard to clutch engagement and disengagement, and its direct correlation with a flaw to the Evolution Kit without evidence to base your statement on seems to be quite nescient.

My apologies if you had a negative experience with your clutch. I can reassure you that if you are having issues with engaging and disengaging your clutch... in simple terms would you not consider the "clutch" as a variable in the issue?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however statements that are blatently made should not be touted as fact without proper evidence to backup your theory.

Modified by evogrl at 3:12 PM 9/16/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's about time i got a response out of Evolution. It's a shame it had to be on a public forum.

You doubt that an engineer would tell me to just shave the flywheel ? You can GUARANTEE that huh? How much $$$ would you like to put on the line?
I'm not some 20 year old kid with a street car that just does whatever they "think" will work.
The motor i had in the car cost me over 5k to build so needless to say i was very careful in the choices i made surrounding it. I have quite a bit of reputable resources at my disposal. Trust me, I check, re-check and then clarify before I do most things to my car.
I suggest you go have a chat with Turtle in your "tech support" , because in fact he spoke with the engineers and their response was to do EXACTLY that . . .

I am NOT suprised by this line at all -
"Second of all, we have sold hundreds and hundreds of kits and have not had a complaint that led to the design nor manufacturing of the kit."
Because after i have had all my issues with my setup , this is pretty much the only help Evolution has given me. The fact that your kit is flawless and no one has ever had a problem. . . . Except me . . .

How can a clutch be my variable when in fact I tried 3 different clutchs. . . ?

My OPINIONS that you say have no backup are also my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with this issue. . . I'd say the 5 times dropping the transmission, thousands of dollars in clutches and even more in Time seems like pretty good back up to me.

No need to clutter this thread any longer. The OP asked about an issue, i gave my experience and what I FOUND to be the issue.

As far as I am concerned your company has already had its shot to discuss anything with me and for what ever reason chose not too.
However if you would like to continue the conversation in more depth please PM me and I have no problem giving you a # to reach me at .

-Jake

Modified by 2fastGSR at 12:19 AM 9/17/2008
Old 09-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know im putting down 503whp and 399wtq and this kit has held up fine with me. as for clutch im using a stage 5competition unsprung with a beefed up pressure plate. no issues with regards to this kit.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:23 PM
King of the One Liners

Default Re: (fukenricen)

And as I stated in my initial post - i know many people whose EVO kits have not given them an ounce of problems.
A very good friend of mine ( NAH2B ) is one of them . . .

But does this fact mean that my situation becomes non existant?

My issue has been solved , i explained what I found to be my problem.

Take it for what its worth . .
Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 PM
King of the One Liners

Default Re: H2B Shifting Problems (turbotypeR@SPEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotypeR@SPEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Sorry, I missed the pics and you mentioning about the slave. Check with the clutch manufacturer and find out what the disc thickness should be. Then check yours/his. We have some clutches that use different thickness discs. With that being said, you could have a thinner disc with a pressure plate that was machined for the thicker disc. This would raise the diaphram and push the slave cylinder in this way. It would also give you problems with disengaugement. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have had the clutches ( yes plural ) looked at/inspected. They are the correct matched discs to pressure plates.

I have also sent pictures of the fork to "turtle" from Evolution tech support in which he said it was fine.

So let me recap:

I have swapped transmissions, rebuilt transmissions, 3 different clutches, slaves, masters, lines, shift linkages, had different length slave rods machined, pedal stops, bled bled and re bled until i was blue in the face.

The only thing that remained constant was the Evo h2b kit. It wasnt until final dissasembly that we noticed the drastic difference in the friction plate thickness on the front of the flyweel when compared to a normal B series. The only difference in the EVO flywheel is the spacer BEHIND the face. The stepped material on the front should be the same as a normal flywheel as the spacer on the back is what makes up for the distance in the adapter plate.

Is it THAT impossible to think that maybe i got a bad flywheel?
Lets step back and think about this for a second . . . .
Lets say that MAYBE , just MAYBE i am correct in my hypothesis. . . If the friction plate on the front of the flywheel was indeed too thick what would happen?
There would be LESS room for the disc to travel between it and the flywheel, correct? This in turn would act like the clutch was overly engaging and/or not disengaging enough, correct?

I really didnt bash the EVO product in my original post, merely explained my problem with it. Nobody and nothing is perfect. I apologize if it came off that way. The only negative comment i can and did make was about their customer service and as an unsatisfied customer that received little help to resolve an issue , I feel i have EVERY right to hold that opinion.

Modified by 2fastGSR at 12:47 AM 9/17/2008
Old 09-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2fastGSR)

are you gonna get a new flywheel (like CM or get a flywheel spacer and SC spacer from qsd) or a new h2b kit

Old 09-17-2008, 12:49 AM

Default Re: H2B Shifting Problems (BrowNKiD)

Brown,
I have seen this happen on two occasions:
Poor clutch assembly (PP, disk or both)
Bent linkage inside gearbox

It is very strange that it was fine at first, and then re-emerged after some time.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H2B Shifting Problems (2fastGSR)

If the friction surface was too tall, the diaphram would move farther away from the bearing when you bolt the clutch to the flywheel. This would move the bearing closer to the flywheel and move the fork in the opposite direction yours is. I don't think that is the problem.
Did it work fine at first and then start giving you problems? I think we are talking about two different cars in this same thread.
BTW- It is not impossible to think you got a bad flywheel. I have seen it happen before. I would talk to them and get some measurements and check yours to eliminate that from the problem.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H2B Shifting Problems (Bisimoto)

thx everyone for the response. I didnt mean to start an arugment lol. i figured it was the clutch as well. Im going try using a different clutch similar to fuken ricen. Competition stage 4 unsprung. I jus wanted to get some people opinions.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i can give you a great clutch recomendation if your going allmotor.

go w/ the exedy stg.2 (thick disk) clutch. its a 3 puck sprung clutch and it is probably the best shifting clutch available next to a twin disk.

i ran one in my h22 allmotor setup making 275whp/205wtq (dynojet) and it held the power fine. the clutch lasted all season, but since i made the mistake of getting the (thin disk) version, i had a problem w/ the pads cracking. however this wont be an issue w/ the thick disk version.

and your tranny will love you for sticking w/ a sprung clutch
Old 09-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H2B Shifting Problems (turbotypeR@SPEC)

randy are you happy with this.lol
Old 09-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same sort of issues as you recently when my clutch cable started going fubar on my K-swap, couldnt go into gear at high rpms because the clutch isnt disengaging enough, I know nothing about H2Bs though, but I think basically thats your issue.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (K20EF8)

I have the same issue with my car, having a hard time shifting in high rpm specially speed shifting it. but my setup is not h2b.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (V-SPEC 1)

whats ur setup?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2fastGSR

What clutches did you try?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont forget to tell them to get a beefed up pressure plate
Old 10-16-2008, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H2B Shifting Problems (Bisimoto)

Ok this is where I\m at right now. Ive broken the b16 tranny in the exact same way the itr one broke. The gear selector inside the tranny broke off. Now ive had a brand new one put into my itr tranny and we also sent the clutch and flywheel to bully and they machined the flywheel and sent me an unsprung clutch. The shifting was better at first but the same problem is emerging. I took the car to the track and when i was launching at 6grand the car wanted to leave. So i've checked and rechecked the master (brand new honda) and slave cylinders (brand new honda). Im running out of options i think im going to switch to the QSD kit.

ps how many ppl officially have this problem?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do recall having a couple people calling me asking for advice on a similar issue they are having with the evo kit. We've yet to witness it first hand since we are QSD FOR LIFE!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

QSD here, no problems shifting at any rpm.

Oh and I have a 6 puck unsprung clutch.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i run the QSD kit and have absolutely no issues with shifting, i run a sprung 6 puck.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

qsd it is for me
Old 10-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how much is the qsd kit? also does it come with a flywheel or just a spacer so i can run my own twin disk and flywheel?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quartersportsdrag.com FAQ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Which flywheel and clutch do I use?

Any B-series flywheel and clutch combination work! From the flywheel out, everything is B-series. You cannot use an H-series flywheel. It will not fit within the B-series bell-housing

</TD></TR></TABLE>

As far as price, im not too sure. You'll have to contact them directly.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you use any beries flywheel and clutch
Old 10-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can i get the flywheel bolts anywhere?

Quick Reply: H2B Shifting Problems