Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Is anyone using these XS lithium batteries now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is anyone using these XS lithium batteries now?

You just keep carrying around your jump pack......
Old 03-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they make 16volt batteries with a 12 volt post
Old 03-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nonvtecallmotor
You just keep carrying around your jump pack......
i dont carry around a jump pack anymore...but people who use the pc680 from odyssey do because those batteries suck for starting but will run the car long enough to make a pass.....these lithium batteries no jump pack needed
its nice to know NAH2B backed up what i already knew about the lithium batteries you dont need a overpriced heavy 16volt battery that requires a special charger.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2k.civic.si
people dont seem to understand with these 12volt lithium batteries there is no reason to run 16volt batteries anymore.
those lithium batteries from shorai are great lithium batteries and not overpriced like most and only weigh a couple pounds.
thanks for backing up what i already knew NAH2B
you may want to let pro stock & pro mod know that they spend alot of cash on 16v batteries ! LOL
if you have 15to1 engine or higher they love 16v ,4,6,& v8
top fuel cars starts 48v some of the pro motorcycle use 24v
they don't no, just bin at it for 50 years
Old 03-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fast is fun
you may want to let pro stock & pro mod know that they spend alot of cash on 16v batteries ! LOL
if you have 15to1 engine or higher they love 16v ,4,6,& v8
top fuel cars starts 48v some of the pro motorcycle use 24v
they don't no, just bin at it for 50 years
most of these guys do things one way because its the only way they know or its how everyone else does it. if we could start the methanol motors that are 18:1 compression at the shop off a 12volt battery so can everyone else. voltage isnt what matters its CURRENT that really matters.....you could have a 100volt battery but if it doesnt supply enough current it wont spin a starter.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the shorai batteries are very similar exept they dont have as much cca as what i posted.

what type of charger would you use w/ the shorai you posted?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NAH2B
sounds like the shorai batteries are very similar exept they dont have as much cca as what i posted.

what type of charger would you use w/ the shorai you posted?
they are designed to work with standard charging systems....they are rated CCA cold cranking amps....above 32 degrees they are well over 300amps and can do short bursts even higher.
the battery you posted about and these are the exact same type of battery LiFePO4 except the ones made by shorai dont cost $500....for $360 i could get 2 of the shorai batteries and have well over 600amps and still be under 5lbs
Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they are designed to work with standard charging systems....they are rated CCA cold cranking amps....above 32 degrees they are well over 300amps and can do short bursts even higher.
the battery you posted about and these are the exact same type of battery LiFePO4 except the ones made by shorai dont cost $500....for $360 i could get 2 of the shorai batteries and have well over 600amps and still be under 5lbs
what type of charger would they use if you dont have a charging system/alternator on the car?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what type of charger would they use if you dont have a charging system/alternator on the car?
any normal float charger will work....you could use a regulated power supply....solar panel...you get the idea.
my own personal charger is this
Old 03-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much is that one and what brand?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much is that one and what brand?
company called vector makes it and its sold under many brands such as black and decker

they go for around $60 shipped but you could use just about any battery charger out there even a cheapo one from walfart....the battery charger i have would be overkill as its more then a battery charger.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here are some pics of the 2 chargers i own...these are good little chargers

these chargers do battery conditioning (removes sulfates from the plates using high frequency pumped back into the battery)
alternator testing...they are multi stage chargers and will do all known battery types.....they do temperature compensating....
they will show battery voltage and the amount of current they are putting into the battery....the bigger one of the two has an engine
start mode and will kick out 75amps which is more then most starters need to turn over a motor.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.batterystuff.com/batterie...18A1-BS12.html what ive already posted is LiFePO4 batteries....i swear no one listens....and you dont need a 16volt battery these new cells are not lead acid and dont have voltage drop like a lead acid battery.
i might just get this battery for my car
should be to hard to make a battery box for it in the same place the stock one is located
Old 03-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont carry around a jump pack anymore...but people who use the pc680 from odyssey do because those batteries suck for starting but will run the car long enough to make a pass.....these lithium batteries no jump pack needed
its nice to know NAH2B backed up what i already knew about the lithium batteries you dont need a overpriced heavy 16volt battery that requires a special charger.
I use to daily my car with a pc680 and never carried a jump pack...If I wasn't going to drive the car for more then a week I would hook a battery tender to it, but other then that i never messed around with jumping it? I'm talking cold starts on ethanol in 20 degree weather too. I would have to crank it a few times before it would start, and still I didn't need a jump pack.Only big power draw items on my car would be the dual walbro setup and possibly the backup battery for my alarm..

I am probably going to pick up one of those shorai's though because of the weight savings.Thank for posting that up
Old 03-26-2011, 05:33 PM
King of the One Liners

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the same charger I currently use
Old 03-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

most of these guys do things one way because its the only way they know or its how everyone else does it.
This has got to be one of the dumbest comments that I have ever read on any site.....
Old 03-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I looked and learned a little about this battery stuff from some of my motorcycle friends. The battery that Randy posted up, looks very similar to the battery my friend got for his high compression/nitrous Hayabusa a year or so ago. I am not sure what material/chemical the batteries in the pack are made from but it was super small and looked to be the same size as what Randy pictured.

Also, I realized that I posted false info. Pro Stock bikes are not started from those DeWalt cordless drill batteries. The DeWalt battery just keeps the data logger, ingnition and what not powered for the duration of the run. The bikes are actually started from a larger battery and starter that is immediately removed. The outlaw bikes I know of have to be started like a street bike would be started and have the batteries like what Randy posted up.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2Kcivic, you're not understanding, I want a 16v battery for the advantages it has over its 12v counterparts, not because I have a crappy battery or charging system.. Since I plan on running a total loss system, I especially want the increased fuel pump output, increased ignition system output for high boost situations, faster cooling fan operation, as well as the easier starting, etc, that the 16v system offers. Granted, I could run a transformer to bump the voltage at the expense of amperage, but I prefer the simplicity of a 16v battery.

When you run high fuel pressures, injectors dont like to work if the voltage drops below 10v, which could easily happen after a few runs or multiple starts on a 12v battery that doesnt have a ton of cranking amps..

While I do appreciate the advice, and I guarantee it has helped a lot of other guys that arent running total loss systems, I'll hold out for the details on this new 16v version that nonvtecallmotor is referring to, or I'll buy the XS.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the 12 battery i posted DOES have alot of cranking amps, alot more than the shorai battery. like i said its either 330 or 440 gotta find out for sure which it is. the shorai only has 270.

also it wont drop from 13.8 to 11 or 10 volts. it holds 13.8 until its dead and then imediately drops to near 0 volts. not sure if thats a good or bad thing but you wont have to worry about the fuel pump/ignition getting less voltage than it was tuned on because if the battery does drop at all the pump, ignition, etc will shut off since the battery will imediately drop to 0 volts.

i know alot of guys run the 16 volt batteries but i myself dont have much to run. i dont even have an electric waterpump haha

like i said i will be testing this 12 volt battery on the dyno and the track next week so we will see if the 12 volt is infact enough to support my allmotor car.

btw not sure if it makes a difference but i run the bosch 044 pump and old school rc injectors w/ 60psi
Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the 12 battery i posted DOES have alot of cranking amps, alot more than the shorai battery. like i said its either 330 or 440 gotta find out for sure which it is. the shorai only has 270.
thats 270 cold cranking amps on the shorai....i doubt you guys will be starting your cars below 32 degrees so that figure doesnt apply. the battery is much higher then 270 above 32 degrees....its also not overpriced like the battery you posted....i could buy 2 shorai batteries for $140 less then yours and have well over 600amps at just over 4lbs of weight
also how many amps do you think it really takes to start a car its not 300....not even 200...

also it wont drop from 13.8 to 11 or 10 volts. it holds 13.8 until its dead and then imediately drops to near 0 volts. not sure if thats a good or bad thing but you wont have to worry about the fuel pump/ignition getting less voltage than it was tuned on because if the battery does drop at all the pump, ignition, etc will shut off since the battery will imediately drop to 0 volts.
This is normal for lithium batteries
Old 03-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by locash
2Kcivic, you're not understanding, I want a 16v battery for the advantages it has over its 12v counterparts, not because I have a crappy battery or charging system.. Since I plan on running a total loss system, I especially want the increased fuel pump output, increased ignition system output for high boost situations, faster cooling fan operation, as well as the easier starting, etc, that the 16v system offers. Granted, I could run a transformer to bump the voltage at the expense of amperage, but I prefer the simplicity of a 16v battery.

When you run high fuel pressures, injectors dont like to work if the voltage drops below 10v, which could easily happen after a few runs or multiple starts on a 12v battery that doesnt have a ton of cranking amps..

While I do appreciate the advice, and I guarantee it has helped a lot of other guys that arent running total loss systems, I'll hold out for the details on this new 16v version that nonvtecallmotor is referring to, or I'll buy the XS.
16v. the only way to go amen thank you
Old 03-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

these chargers do battery conditioning (removes sulfates from the plates using high frequency pumped back into the battery)
alternator testing...they are multi stage chargers and will do all known battery types.....they do temperature compensating....
they will show battery voltage and the amount of current they are putting into the battery....the bigger one of the two has an engine
start mode and will kick out 75amps which is more then most starters need to turn over a motor.
The Vector built black and decker smart chargers are hands down the best charger for the money. i have the fourty amp version i use at work, and it consistently outperforms the big money midtronics that is also used at my shop. I bought two from amazon.com for under 200 shipped. My is used heavily daily and its been flawless.

this is the model i use
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats extremely overpriced. just buy these http://www.batterystuff.com/batterie...18A1-BS12.html which are the same type of battery LiFePO4

Thanks for posting this! Cant wait to ditch my old optima and drop another 30lbs. Looks like a much better aption than some of the other batteries i have looked into (mostly AGM)
Old 03-27-2011, 07:22 PM

if your experiencing voltage issues with a 12 volt battery then you have done something wrong.
voltage = resistance/current (v=r/i)

either your battery cant supply enough current and the voltage will drop.....or if the battery can supply enough current then you have to much resistance....to much resistance can be caused by wire gauge being to small or poor connections.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_2/1.html
Artie,

Voltage = Current * Resistance (not divided by)

Also from your link, "The amount of current in a circuit depends on the amount of voltage available to motivate the electrons, and also the amount of resistance in the circuit to oppose electron flow."

With more voltage available, your are able to flow more current at the same resistance which is what Joe and Rick are trying to do.

More voltage means the pump can spin faster, and the injectors can open and close more accurately and respond with better dead times (especially at higher fuel pressures).

Your links are great and will help a lot of people though, thanks...I might actually pick up one of those as well!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xenocron
Artie,

Voltage = Current * Resistance (not divided by)

Also from your link, "The amount of current in a circuit depends on the amount of voltage available to motivate the electrons, and also the amount of resistance in the circuit to oppose electron flow."

With more voltage available, your are able to flow more current at the same resistance which is what Joe and Rick are trying to do.

More voltage means the pump can spin faster, and the injectors can open and close more accurately and respond with better dead times (especially at higher fuel pressures).

Your links are great and will help a lot of people though, thanks...I might actually pick up one of those as well!
i know the formula....i dont have anyway to show "over" but i now see the error in the way i showed it....i dont think much about this stuff it just works in my head....i can see the solution in my head without having to work it out if that makes any sense.
ive gone to college for electronics far from uneducated

Here
E = IR
I = E/R
R = E/I

Quick Reply: Is anyone using these XS lithium batteries now?