Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Is anyone using these XS lithium batteries now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is anyone using these XS lithium batteries now?

Originally Posted by JustOneOrTwoPosts
to clarify, I could run the Shorai battery with my stock charging system? Would I be ok if it's a daily driven car? maybe a small sound system later?
would be fine running the car....as for the sound system that would depend on current draw of the amps.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by locash
I can tell you that fuel pump output drops with 12v vs 16v, and the starter spins a hell of a lot faster with a 16v battery as well. Look at most every Pro Mod or Pro Stock car, there is a good reason they are running them, and its not because a 12v battery would have worked the same.
as long as it starts the car who cares....we used a pc680 and had terminals mounted on the back of the car and started it with a jump pack. you dont need to start the car with the battery in the car

if voltage does become an issue do what i told flatbush projects to do....run two batteries...the damn things only weigh 1.6lbs
Old 03-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This may be a little off topic, but I know of a guy that races NHRA Pro Stock motorcycles and between him and his dad they build some pretty nasty outlaw bikes. They use DeWalt cordless drill batteries to run their bikes. They make a custom billet aluminum adapter that the batteries snap into on their CNC machines. It was a pretty sweet setup I thought. I am not sure how they would work out with the larger 4 cylinder car engines, but its an idea.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 13173
This may be a little off topic, but I know of a guy that races NHRA Pro Stock motorcycles and between him and his dad they build some pretty nasty outlaw bikes. They use DeWalt cordless drill batteries to run their bikes. They make a custom billet aluminum adapter that the batteries snap into on their CNC machines. It was a pretty sweet setup I thought. I am not sure how they would work out with the larger 4 cylinder car engines, but its an idea.
they could save some money by buying the individual cells with solder tabs and make they own packs. prebuilt packs are very pricey.
this is an example of someone building their own packs for powering cars. http://www.tekbattery.com/Batteries/003.jpg
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow very interesting. It makes complete sense. Thanks 2k :-). Id love to save that 50lbs i moved to the rear
Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have fun with you small batterys..... and scrambling to charge your 16v during rounds
Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With some of the newer batteries out you can charge them completely from dead (voltage cutoff) in 10 minutes and they will last a very very long time.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by narfdanarf
With some of the newer batteries out you can charge them completely from dead (voltage cutoff) in 10 minutes and they will last a very very long time.
depending on the type of charger quicker then that. their are some types of lithiums that can charge in under a minute
Old 03-25-2011, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i will be testing something next week which is a little different from the lithium ion or lithium polymer.

i may have some pics tomorrow...
Old 03-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NAH2B
i will be testing something next week which is a little different from the lithium ion or lithium polymer.

i may have some pics tomorrow...
sweeet
Old 03-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2k.civic.si
if your experiencing voltage issues with a 12 volt battery then you have done something wrong.
voltage = resistance/current (v=r/i)

either your battery cant supply enough current and the voltage will drop.....or if the battery can supply enough current then you have to much resistance....to much resistance can be caused by wire gauge being to small or poor connections.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_2/1.html

ITS ALL STOCK

Like Locash said theres a reason EVERYONE in the drag racing world uses 16v......
Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nonvtecallmotor

ITS ALL STOCK

Like Locash said theres a reason EVERYONE in the drag racing world uses 16v......

not everyone
there are some of us running the pc680 and using a jump pack to start the car.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you're getting it....

Things like injectors and fuel pumps work better with a higher voltage supplied. I don't think these guys like Rick and Locash give a **** about starting power.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nonvtecallmotor

ITS ALL STOCK

Rick you running the same battery Chris has? he let it sit all winter, pulled the car out of the trailer and into Woolfords where it sat for a couple weeks while Bruce fabbed up the single turbo setup and when it came time to start it she fired right up! no jumpack or nothing, straight off the battery and w/o any charging. we all were amazed and couldnt believe it actually started haha. he shut it down and started it a couple more times after that also. these batteries are bad as ****, everyone will be runnung them once they hit the market.

i just got the 12V yesterday to test. i will post up some pics in a few.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have both an xs power and kinetic 16v, made 5 pulls on the dyno yesterday and on the last pull it droped to 11.85 but no lower and once back at idle it went to 12.9 or 13.0. when first powering the car up if goes to 15.88and thats with ecu powered, water pump and fan, corner lights, tail lights, o2sensor and tach. once i start the car it drops to 13.8. thought i had a bad battery so i bought the xs power but after testing on the xs we realized the kinetic was fine.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok here it is, this is a 12 volt lithium ferrous phosphate battery w/ 330 or 440 cca's (cant remember which). this is the manufacturers "Import Option". they call it this because of its size haha.

this battery weighs in at 3 lbs. and can be mounted in any poisition you choose, its also vibration resistant as well. this one pictured is a prototype simply wrapped in black heat shrink. the retail versions will come in a black plastic case w/ terminals.

these batteries are also available in a 16 volt version off the shelf but you can actually get any voltage you want made for you. these batteries are not available yet, they should be ready for retail in a few weeks.

they require only a smart charger found at any walmrt etc. they DO NOT use a trickle charger. these batteries also work w/ your factory charging system/alternator as well.

this 12 volt battery will retail for around 500. which imo is a bargain since other lightweight racing batteries can cost 4 times as much and also require expensive chargers.

i will be testing this 12 volt battery on the dyno and hopefully at the track next weekend. the manufacturer claims this battery will get me from the pits to the staging lanes and allow for a few startups and some runtime in the lanes before going down the track and driving back to the pits again, w/o an alternator of course. then hookup the smart charger in the pits and its supposed to fully charge again in 10 minutes.

also there is no voltage drop from this type of battery. the 12 volt version puts out 13.8 volts and holds it constant until it runs out of charge then drops to nothing. like i said, i will be testing on the dyno next week so this will be interesting im sure haha

remeber... 3 lbs

Old 03-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I assume you have the AGM models, since Kinetic doesnt offer a lithium.. That Kinetic weighs 54 lbs!

Originally Posted by 2.6lrex
i have both an xs power and kinetic 16v, made 5 pulls on the dyno yesterday and on the last pull it droped to 11.85 but no lower and once back at idle it went to 12.9 or 13.0. when first powering the car up if goes to 15.88and thats with ecu powered, water pump and fan, corner lights, tail lights, o2sensor and tach. once i start the car it drops to 13.8. thought i had a bad battery so i bought the xs power but after testing on the xs we realized the kinetic was fine.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh, thats what I was looking for, the LiFePO4 cells.. Can you put me in touch with these guys? I'd really like to pick up a 16v version made of LiFePO4, definately a safer way to go as well..

ok here it is, this is a 12 volt lithium ferrous phosphate battery
Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when will the ion phosphate be available? any idea on price range for the import option? thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by denske
when will the ion phosphate be available? any idea on price range for the import option? thanks in advance.
gonna be a couple weeks, manufacturer is waiting for cases.

the 12 volt is supposed to reatil around 500.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thats sick lol
Old 03-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Rick you running the same battery Chris has? he let it sit all winter, pulled the car out of the trailer and into Woolfords where it sat for a couple weeks while Bruce fabbed up the single turbo setup and when it came time to start it she fired right up! no jumpack or nothing, straight off the battery and w/o any charging. we all were amazed and couldnt believe it actually started haha. he shut it down and started it a couple more times after that also. these batteries are bad as ****, everyone will be runnung them once they hit the market.

i just got the 12V yesterday to test. i will post up some pics in a few.
Yup, I sure am when its available. I'll be one of the first to have one.
I have known the manufacturers of these batteries for 10 years or so now and they are stand up great guys that will stand behind there product.

I used a Kinetic 16v on the dyno a few weeks ago and it dropped less then .4 volt from start to finish a total of 4 hours of run time.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok here it is, this is a 12 volt lithium ferrous phosphate battery w/ 330 or 440 cca's (cant remember which). this is the manufacturers "Import Option". they call it this because of its size haha.

this battery weighs in at 3 lbs. and can be mounted in any poisition you choose, its also vibration resistant as well. this one pictured is a prototype simply wrapped in black heat shrink. the retail versions will come in a black plastic case w/ terminals.

these batteries are also available in a 16 volt version off the shelf but you can actually get any voltage you want made for you. these batteries are not available yet, they should be ready for retail in a few weeks.

they require only a smart charger found at any walmrt etc. they DO NOT use a trickle charger. these batteries also work w/ your factory charging system/alternator as well.

this 12 volt battery will retail for around 500. which imo is a bargain since other lightweight racing batteries can cost 4 times as much and also require expensive chargers.

i will be testing this 12 volt battery on the dyno and hopefully at the track next weekend. the manufacturer claims this battery will get me from the pits to the staging lanes and allow for a few startups and some runtime in the lanes before going down the track and driving back to the pits again, w/o an alternator of course. then hookup the smart charger in the pits and its supposed to fully charge again in 10 minutes.

also there is no voltage drop from this type of battery. the 12 volt version puts out 13.8 volts and holds it constant until it runs out of charge then drops to nothing. like i said, i will be testing on the dyno next week so this will be interesting im sure haha

remeber... 3 lbs

[/IMG]
people dont seem to understand with these 12volt lithium batteries there is no reason to run 16volt batteries anymore.
those lithium batteries from shorai are great lithium batteries and not overpriced like most and only weigh a couple pounds.
thanks for backing up what i already knew NAH2B
Old 03-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gonna be a couple weeks, manufacturer is waiting for cases.

the 12 volt is supposed to reatil around 500.
thats extremely overpriced. just buy these http://www.batterystuff.com/batterie...18A1-BS12.html which are the same type of battery LiFePO4
Old 03-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by locash
Ahh, thats what I was looking for, the LiFePO4 cells.. Can you put me in touch with these guys? I'd really like to pick up a 16v version made of LiFePO4, definately a safer way to go as well..
http://www.batterystuff.com/batterie...18A1-BS12.html what ive already posted is LiFePO4 batteries....i swear no one listens....and you dont need a 16volt battery these new cells are not lead acid and dont have voltage drop like a lead acid battery.

Quick Reply: Is anyone using these XS lithium batteries now?