Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Carbs on a newer non-carb motor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbs on a newer non-carb motor?

Hello i have been falling short on options for what i'd like to do with my 83 Honda. I have a jdm d15b laying around that i have been looking into putting in the car. The swap doesn't seem to have to many problems but for nostalgic reasons and simplicity of systems to keep it old school i would like to fab my own manifold for dual side draft webers on it. What would i need to do to make this happen. Run a ecu just for the distributor? Mode dist for vacuum advance? Not real sure so i'm looking for some advise on how to go about this. Thanks for any input!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbs on a newer non-carb motor?

Has anyone done this? I remember at one time seeing a f-series that someone had put individual carbs like itbs on it but have know idea how they were running everything...
Old 11-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Surely somebody has gone this route. I will have the benefit of easily available aftermarket parts with reliability on a simpler setup that mimics the original 83 platform. Somebody help my hunt! lol
Old 11-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the day, I've known people to use 4 Single Barrel Mikuni Carbs off of Suzuki Motorcycles. They would take an intake and cut the intake to make four straight runners. Then they would use silicones to connect the carbs to the cut intake.

Here's his vid of starting it the first time....
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo-BKSSXTr0[url]

Here's a write up in a magazine:

That's how it was done in the old days.

Lately, people have been doing Dual Mikuni and Weber Carbs. I think I like this look better......
Here's D16a1 Setup with two 2bbl Mikuni Carbs.

Here's some webbers on an Si engine....

According to the owner of the car, all the information and parts he needed was through Redline....
http://www.redlineweber.com/html/app...linkage_in.htm

It really doews'nt look like it would be that hard to fab up an intake manifold. Of course, I can't weld, but it probably wouldn't be much harder then making a custom header.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It really doews'nt look like it would be that hard to fab up an intake manifold. Of course, I can't weld, but it probably wouldn't be much harder then making a custom header.[/QUOTE]

Those all look like good examples but i dont have any problem fab'n up a intake setup to fun the carbs, thats the easy part for me. I dont know how they actually run everything off of a newer style motor that is obd style to a carb. How are the running the distributor without a vacuum advance like the old style motors and even old chevys do. What vacuum is needed to go where, what electrical is needed to run the distributor without a new ecu.

And all of those engines except the d16a1(which highly looks like a dohc, i'd guess a zc) are originally carb motors to start with, so they bypass all the problems i'm looking into anyways...

Good pics though i like the setups
Old 11-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A D16a1 is NOT a ZC. A ZC is built to JDM specs and only available in JDM cars (and stamped "ZC" on the block instead of "D16a1"), where a D16a1 is built to USDM specs and in the USDM Acura Integras.

The Si engine with the Dual Webbers is originally MPFI, thus the Si.....

As for my Mustang, I got rid off all my emissions stuff when I went EFI to carbed. I only have two vacuum lines, one to the brake booster (manifold vacuum), and one to the distributer, off the carb.

Why would you need an ECU for carbs anyways? An ECU is there to take air/fuel readings and adjust the Fuel Injectors accordingly. With carbs, there is no ECU what so ever.

Read up....
http://www.redpepperracing.com/forum...p?showforum=33
Old 11-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So whats up with the d16a1? I thought that was a sohc the pic shows a dohc. And like you said on your mustang you went from efi with a distributor that already had vacuum advance to carb. You already have a place for that. I'm looking to take a obd1 motor that has no options for a vacuum distributor and put carbs on it. Maybe i'm not getting the point here but how am i going to get the same signal to the newer distributor which is ran from a ecu to work in the same fashion as the old school carb style vacuum advance ones? Obviously all the sensors can go and i just use the very few that are off my older cvcc motor. What am i looking at needing to change here on a obd1 motor to run the dual carbs i'm looking at with no ecu just like my 83's original motor. Sorry if i sound redundant lol I'm a fabricator not a wiring man by any means. I'm just looking to make sure i know the route to take before i starts something that will be real hard to reverse if it doesn't work. Either way thank you for the input and help!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A D16a1 IS a DOHC.... Most people too herp derp and call it a ZC when it is not a ZC. Now, I'm gonna confuse you even more. There is a SOCH ZC too (JDM spec of a D16a6).

As far as my Si, it was a vacuum advance distributor. The question may be if you could use a D15 distributor (any of the 1498cc from the 84-87 Civic's) or a D16a1 distributor in your D15b head? They are probably cheap enough at a pull-n-save, that it might be worth trying.

I personally haven't had any experience with this. But I've seen alot of other people on another thread convert to carbs, but like you said, they are all OBD0...
Old 11-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That def seems like a possible solution to see if i could get a older distributor and mock up. How do the OBD0 distributor motors run there carb setup?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow that's a lot of work on it nice...
Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have an opportunity to snag a 1751cc cvcc motor from a 80 auto accord, does anyone know if this bolts to my 83 civic 5 speed tranny i have? Or if i would use a accord flywheel and clutch or my civic one? Thanks for anyone's help, this older stuff isn't my a game lol
Old 12-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Which D15B do you have? Some of them were dual carbed to start with. Even if it's not you should be able to get a set of carbs and the intake manifold from an importer and run an inline electric fuel pump (the dual carbed D15Bs ran a mechanical fuel pump off an extra lobe on the cam, the fuel pump was bolted on the back of the head roughly where the vtec solenoid would go on a SOHC vtec engine.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is sort of unrelated but somewhere I have seen a b18c with a quick fuel 750 on a custom intake plenum. So anything is possible.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

read through this thread there is some info on how to do the ecu and dizzy...you actually dont even use the ecu.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/b-series-carb-setup-question-%2Anot-itbs%2A-2828876/
Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice Find!