Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

1983 Civic Engine/Tranny Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 Civic Engine/Tranny Swap

So where is all the info on this? Ive looked and looked and have found swaps, but the swaps are four to five years old and Id just like to see if anything new can fit in the Civic. Ive just purchased a Civic that has been sitting (outside) for the last thirteen years. Needless to say, it needs work. The owner (original) says that before it was parked it munched a valve due to the timing belt snapping. Meh, I figure thats ok because Ive always wanted to swap out the 1.3. Does anyone know what is newest year of engine/tranny combo that I should be looking for? The car is going to be a daily driver, so commuting is going to be its thing. Im looking to do a straight in swap, no turbo, no opening the engine, no heads just the newest engine possible that will fit with the least mods to the Civic. I was hoping to get a 6spd with this swap, is that going to be doable? I ask because I have no clue about this whatsoever. Ive swapped an LS motor into a Suburban with a 5spd, so I know anything is possible if you have the time.

In anycase I will also be needing a windshield, new front seats, and the rear cargo cover. So if anyone has those, please let me know and we can make a deal.

Other then that, wish me luck. I will post pics later this week once I get get the car.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Nick
Old 08-24-2015, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1983 Civic Engine/Tranny Swap

There are a lot of obstacles one of which is the method of how the motor mounts into the car as that changed for Gen III and up. It's a major modification but people have done it.

The simplest solution for more power would be a swap to a 1500 engine of the same vintage which can be had on eBay as they are more durable and forgiving than the 1300 open deck counterpart. Of course you would have to get 1500 front springs as the 1500 engine is old school iron instead of aluminum..