Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

1983 Honda Accord will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 Honda Accord will not start.

First off, I do not know a lot about cars so please try to explain everything as thoroughly as possible. I have an 83 accord, and the first time I try to start it after it has sat for a while, it starts up fine but will stall if I take my foot off the gas. After it stalls I can not get it to start back up again.

Originally when i had first got the car it would almost never start and i noticed that the carb was loose and could be jiggled from side to side. I set about fixing that and with my very limited experience i managed to remove the carb and found six screws that i assume held the thing together, 3 of which were so loose that were slightly tilting the carb and allowing it to jiggle. Now that everyhting is put back together that leads to where i am now.

Through a little bit of research i think it might be something to do with the fuel pump or some related part. Please help if you can.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: 1983 Honda Accord will not start.

Starting Problems
Old 08-24-2015, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1983 Honda Accord will not start.

Originally Posted by DeafTurtleMonky
First off, I do not know a lot about cars so please try to explain everything as thoroughly as possible. I have an 83 accord, and the first time I try to start it after it has sat for a while, it starts up fine but will stall if I take my foot off the gas. After it stalls I can not get it to start back up again.

Originally when i had first got the car it would almost never start and i noticed that the carb was loose and could be jiggled from side to side. I set about fixing that and with my very limited experience i managed to remove the carb and found six screws that i assume held the thing together, 3 of which were so loose that were slightly tilting the carb and allowing it to jiggle. Now that everyhting is put back together that leads to where i am now.

Through a little bit of research i think it might be something to do with the fuel pump or some related part. Please help if you can.
The three barrel carbs are sensitive to you sneezing on them and even the pros have a tough time with them. First I would confirm that you have a fuel problem by checking for spark during the cranking stage. If you have spark you probably did something to the carb which is nightmare city.

As an aside, if you construct a pigtail with spade connectors, you can jump the two top slots that the fuel pump relay plugs into just above the fuse block. (you might check the fuse as well).

If the fuse is good, the pigtail is plugged in and the fuel pump runs, then the enable circuit is not complete between the relay and distributor.

Get a shop manual of eBay...