Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

why don't car audio manufactures make 'kits'?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why don't car audio manufactures make 'kits'?

i saw a topic on another board and i have to hear your comments too:

http://audioforum.termpro.com/...18408

heres a quote:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why don't they make a 'kit' with EVERYTHING matching you know what i mean?

i know they make amps for subs yada yada yada but it'd be nice to have a full kit you could buy with radio components amps subs tweeters etc instead of picking and choosing and MOST times you'd end up with different brands anyway

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think its a good question, hers some replies:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they dont make "kits" because most people cant afford to spend that much money all at once. And not everybody wants the same stuff, they could put a 300 watt amp in there with a sub but one person might want a 1000 watt amp and sub so they wouldnt buy the kit.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

makes sense but then:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i understand that, but you would THINK they would want you to stick with the brand, therefore put out matching things ESPEIALLY subs and amps, how many times has someone been looking for an amp to power a different brand sub and can't find one from the same company that is good enough, and vice versa??

</TD></TR></TABLE>

please comment on this, i like kicker and i know they make matching amps and subs, sort of, but they don't seem to market them together, why don't companies market stuff together?

they just throw stuff out there and say 'buy'
Old 05-16-2004, 07:15 PM

Default Re: why don't car audio manufactures make 'kits'? (bassisliffe)

Even if manufacturers were to offer kits i think they would just be entry level stuff anyways. jsut think about how many kits they would have to have, some people want a 3 way front stage with a sub, other want a 2 way with a sub, some want rear fill, some dont. theres countless differnt levels of amplification and speaker and head units. thats what the dealers are for. to tell you waht you need if you know nothing about audio.

besides. what about those who like a certain brand for example focal, dynaudio, image dynamics who only make speakers? then what?

Think about the home theater packages you get wiht everything included or the package stereos. they're boxed up pieces of crap.

another thing is i'm never gonna run the manufacturers recomended power rating. My ascents are rated at 200W and i'm giving them 720W with no problems. My type X's are rated at like 65W and i'm giving them 130W.

Modified by EBP_SI at 4:25 AM 5/17/2004
Old 05-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why don't car audio manufactures make 'kits'? (EBP_SI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EBP_SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
besides. what about those who like a certain brand for example focal, dynaudio, image dynamics who only make speakers? then what?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This was my thought also.

For example, people like infinity. I think their speakers are alright, but their amps suck! They have no power what-so-ever.

Plus a kit like that with any "good" equipment would cost you a buttload. That's the same reason most "packaged" sub, box, and amp combos are shitty products, entry level ones the company makes.

Old 05-17-2004, 05:34 AM

they make more money selling the items seperate
Old 05-17-2004, 07:27 AM
New User

Default Re: (worlds tallest midget)

probably a whole load of reasons, but the number one or two would probably be inventory costs.

It would be impossible for retailers to stock regular items along with these kits or for them to predict all the various combinations of vehicles they would see and all the differences between them.

Also, that inventory would become obsolete very quickly.

From a business model, it just doesn't work...

again, that's my guess...
Old 05-18-2004, 05:08 AM

Default Re: (worlds tallest midget)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by worlds tallest midget &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they make more money selling the items seperate</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, how? if sony sells an amp and you buy a kicker sub instead of a sony sub, wouldnt they make more money if they made a sub that would match the amp perfectly?
Old 05-18-2004, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bassisliffe)

We have Sony packages with 2 12" sony subs and a sony amp at work. The package sucks, and no one buys them either. They'd rather get the sony sub with a kicker amp, or an MTX, etc.

Each brand carries a reputation with them for making some components well etc. That's going to follow them. There's only a few companies I could see pulling off a package that would have components that are all nice, and the one company I can think of off the top of my head is alpine. Only problem is if you want one of their amps for your subs that really has power, you'll have to look into the MRD-M1000 which retails for something like $750.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Re: (bassisliffe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bassisliffe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok, how? if sony sells an amp and you buy a kicker sub instead of a sony sub, wouldnt they make more money if they made a sub that would match the amp perfectly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I still dont see why the amp has to match it perfectly? if yours subs are rated for lets say 400RMS and you put a 500W RMS amp on it you're not gonna harm it.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Re: (EBP_SI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EBP_SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I still dont see why the amp has to match it perfectly? if yours subs are rated for lets say 400RMS and you put a 500W RMS amp on it you're not gonna harm it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

EXACTLY! most companies make an amp that will only push the same as their subs are rated at so we look elswere for a more powerful amp

i see your points guys especially about the sony package

anymore comments on this? i think kicker makes good amps foor their subs, as well as rf and ///ALPINE