Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

weird audio problem!! need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird audio problem!! need help!

my subs dont work when the car is turned on (engine running)
and i checked the amp and it was on protect mode (red light) :and note this is while the engine is runnning.

but when the engine is off and i leave the car on the 1st click in the ignition,my subs work fine,i checked battery terminal,ground,and wires,fuses and everything is plugged correcty,but when i turn my engine on the subwoofers shuts off.

has anyone encountered this problem before???
Old 12-30-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: weird audio problem!! need help! (jtfc3s)

Hmmm, what kind of amp/sub is it? Power wire is ran to the battery? Where is your groung? Did you check the power output of the alternator when the car is running?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a visonik 300 watt amp and 2 10 icnh Xtant subs...
yes power wire is ran to the battery
my ground is in the trunk by the passenger tailight...
and no i did not check the power output of the alt. when the car was running..
Old 12-30-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: (jtfc3s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jtfc3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a visonik 300 watt amp and 2 10 icnh Xtant subs...
yes power wire is ran to the battery
my ground is in the trunk by the passenger tailight...
and no i did not check the power output of the alt. when the car was running..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Grounded near the passenger tail light?? This makes me think that you took one of the nuts off that hold the light in and used it as a ground. If that is the case, I would suggest moving it to a bolt somewhere, like one that holds a seatbelt or the rear seat mounting bolt. The reason i asked about the alternator was because I was thinking the amp might be seeing an over voltage situation. Put a meter on the battery terminals with the car running and see that you are somewhere in the 14.4V range.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its grounded near the pasenger tailight but no i dindnt use any of the bolts that connect to the tailight,its like 1 feet away from the tailight

so i need a volt meter to test it out, and if it reads lower than 14.4v do i need to replace my alternator?or what can i do?
Old 12-31-2007, 05:36 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: weird audio problem!! need help! (NismoGriff)

So when you start the car the red light on the amp comes on?
Old 12-31-2007, 07:58 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If the system works when engine is not running, but not when engine is running, my guess is over-voltage rather then under-voltage, even if there was no output from the alt. the amp would still work off the batt., [for a while].
Car audio, [most, not all] is designed to work within 11.5V - 14.4V, if voltage is above that the equipment shuts down.

Take your car to any batt./alt. shop and have them do a load check, most will do this for free, only takes a few min. 94
Old 12-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird audio problem!! need help! (White Smoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So when you start the car the red light on the amp comes on?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the system works when engine is not running, but not when engine is running, my guess is over-voltage rather then under-voltage, even if there was no output from the alt. the amp would still work off the batt., [for a while].
Car audio, [most, not all] is designed to work within 11.5V - 14.4V, if voltage is above that the equipment shuts down.

Take your car to any batt./alt. shop and have them do a load check, most will do this for free, only takes a few min. 94</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool ill do this! and if i do fail this test what do i need to replace???
Old 12-31-2007, 01:27 PM
fcm
Old Fart

The alt., the problem is probably the voltage regulator, but it is built into the alt. so it only makes sense to replace the whole thing, also a good time to upgrade the alt., something with a little more output, [current/amps]. 94
Old 12-31-2007, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird audio problem!! need help! (fcm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The alt., the problem is probably the voltage regulator, but it is built into the alt. so it only makes sense to replace the whole thing, also a good time to upgrade the alt., something with a little more output, [current/amps]. 94</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats a good alt that has more output should i get?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 AM
fcm
Old Fart

We get most of the alt. we use for upgrades from... http://www.ohiogen.com/ good quality, support and pricing. 94
Old 01-01-2008, 01:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the system works when engine is not running, but not when engine is running, my guess is over-voltage rather then under-voltage, even if there was no output from the alt. the amp would still work off the batt., [for a while].

Take your car to any batt./alt. shop and have them do a load check, most will do this for free, only takes a few min. 94</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry I did not check back sooner, but the above response is exactly where I was heading with my questioning.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We get most of the alt. we use for upgrades from... http://www.ohiogen.com/ good quality, support and pricing. 94</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also what I would of suggested since I live in Ohio
Old 01-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NismoGriff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry I did not check back sooner, but the above response is exactly where I was heading with my questioning.

Also what I would of suggested since I live in Ohio </TD></TR></TABLE>

its all good man thanks for your guy's help, ill probably just look around here since im in socal..
thanks for everyones input