Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Viper 5901 in EG

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper 5901 in EG

Hello all,

I just recently picked up a Viper 5901 alarm for my EG, and I was wondering how difficult it would be for someone like myself (I know ABSOLUTELY little to none about cars, let alone wires) to do a stealth install. I will start doing my homework asap on reading my car manual, alarm manual, and wire diagrams to get started if it is recommended by you guys for me to do the install myself. I am sure that when I bump into problems I can always come here for my answers. I do not mind going to a shop or finding someone from the forums who is nearby to do the install, but I would honestly like to install it myself so I can get to know my car better while in the process. Also, I believe this would also help me get my confidence up to do a wire tuck which I plan on doing in the near future. So all in all, Would you guys recommend me installing it myself? There is a first time for everything, correct?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Viper 5901 in EG

Well you could do it by yourself but you will loose a lot of time learning about it and also might brake some buckles or plastics while attempting to disasemble the cars interior!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dave.HR
Well you could do it by yourself but you will loose a lot of time learning about it and also might brake some buckles or plastics while attempting to disasemble the cars interior!
Very true. I most likely would break some interior panels, haha. Well, I have seen some DIYs here on HT regarding the change to an integra dash into an EG, so I KIND of know a little . Thanks for your input !
Old 10-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

After my experience i will never have any one do my alarms again, i will do them all myself. It is truly the only way to get it your way.

I had a guy who owned his own company do my first install. Everything went fine, besides him drilling unneccasasry holes, and brakeing 1 pannel, and saying he didn't.

Untill the alarm started turning on and off by it self, so i started digging around, and found a complete mess. It was wiring hell under my dash. Called the guy and demanded he fix it, he never did. A month later, i went to him he was gone, went out of business. No wonder.

Next i had cartoys install a clifford 3.3x. Install is fine, other then they did several things i dont like.
They put the siren in plane view and drilled 2 holes to mount it, after they said they would use the holes already there fromt he last siren.
And they ran the power wire in plane view in the engine bay. Which is total bull ****.

I say do your own, just read the install books and search around. There are plently of people who have done diy's for alarms into civics. It really isnt that difficult. Just take your time and double check all of your connections to insure they are correct.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to be completely honest...

I really do appreciate a do it yourself attitude, I think its great. Just know your limitations before you decide if this is something you want to tackle on your own. You do have a couple things on your side as far as the install is concerned. You've got one of the easiest remote start systems to install, and you've got one of the easiest cars in the world to work on.

The first thing that I would do is check out the 5901's installation guide. Make sure you understand what everything means. You need to know what wires you actually need to use, and what wires aren't needed for your application. Just a couple examples...

wait to start wire- this wire is used on a diesel engine vehicle, and allows the ignition to turn on for a few seconds before sending voltage to the starter wire so the glow plugs can prime. Well, since your car isnt a diesel, you obviously don't use this wire.

you have two different instant trigger inputs (door pin trigger) you get to use, a positive (+) one, and a negative (-) one. Well, your honda is going to use the (-) input for your door pin switches, so you won't use the (+) instant trigger.

The wires you don't use, you can cut short, and tape off, or some ppl remove the pin from the harness. (I cut short and tape off, just in case I need that wire later)

You get what Im trying to say? You need to know what every wire title means, and its function, because, to be honest with you, you won't use prob half of the wires that come with the 5901 when you put it in a 92-95 civic, so you could spend time trying to figure out where a wire goes that you don't even need anyway.

You also need to consider how valuable your time is to yourself. A first time alarm/remote start install could take a while. I've heard stories even hear, on Honda-Tech, about guys spending a whole weekend figuring out how to install their remote start. I don't know about you, but I'd rather be doing something else, than chillin upside down underneath the dash of my car when I have time off work. Don't get me wrong, some ppl do it just to gain the experience, but at the same time, how many of these things do you plan on installing yourself through your lifetime? Is this experience going to benefit you to the point of making yourself willing to make the sacrifice needed to accomplish the goal?

I've got plenty of friends who install professionally. Some are great installers. A lot of them either refuse to install alarms, refuse to learn how to do it, or just don't know how to do them. It's not worth it to these guys. Alarms are tedious, and can be frustrating sometimes.

Look, Im not trying to talk you out of trying it yourself, I think its great that you want to. I just want you to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before you start, because if you get half way through, and decide its not worth it, and take it to a shop, chances are, its going to end up costing you a lot more money for a tech to go behind your work, trouble shoot/inspect, and finish the install. I won't waste time talking about warranty issues either...

If you read all your diagrams, and feel confident, by all means, go ahead and give it a shot. If you've got any questions, there are plenty of knowledgeable ppl here that can help. BUT>>> If you end up asking questions like, "I have a thick pink wire that says it should go to 12v+ ignition, how do I hook it up?" , I'm not going to lie to you, but most of us prob wouldn't take the time to explain something like that. It's too basic, and if you don't know what to do with a wire like that, then I would recommend you pay someone to do the job for you. Once you finish your install, it can feel very rewarding, so if you decide to tackle the job yourself, let me be the first to wish you good luck! Make it fun, and hopefully you will learn a lot about your car. If you can do this install, it will make doing your wire tuck like butter...

Last edited by joeymc13; 10-15-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm going to tackle the alarm installation this Sunday, hopefully everything goes well.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Friend,

did it? I have an 5901 an a EG too, and I have the same problem...