Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

High pitched whine from speakers, gets louder with revs -how do you stop it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitched whine from speakers, gets louder with revs -how do you stop it?

I have always had that annoying sound coming from my speakers. You know the whine that gets louder and higher pitched with engine revs. I have had 3 different amps in my 94 gsr and all have had it. I have a good ground with 4 gauge wire, and "triple shielded" RCA's. I have never found a way to get rid of it. Has anybody ever found a way to eliminate this sound? Any ideas that may help?
Old 04-16-2002, 07:42 PM

Default Re: High pitched whine from speakers, gets louder with revs -how do you stop it? (Integra13)

haha i know that noise....there is no cure...or im not aware of one
Old 04-16-2002, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High pitched whine from speakers, gets louder with revs -how do you stop it? (Integra13)

first things first are the RCAs and the power running down seperate side of the car if not then try that, other wise try turning the gains on your amps down the, sit in you driver seat and turn the volume up to where you can listent to it at a good level wiith the amps turned all the way down,, then turn the gains up until you get a decent level out of them and then you should not here the noise.,
yo dont have to have yur amps all the way up, if you do you need to buy a better or bigger amp
hope i helped
Old 04-16-2002, 08:03 PM

Default Re: High pitched whine from speakers, gets louder with revs -how do you stop it? (cam003)

couldnt he also try a new ground for the headunit? move it and make sure its bare metal. if the things mentioned above dont work this might be worth a shot.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:49 PM
New User

Default Re: High pitched whine from speakers, gets louder with revs -how do you stop it? (Malachi)

The MOST important thing is your GROUNDS!!!!!!! Make sure the ground for the HU is on 100% bare metal. Absolutly NO paint, and make sure the grounds for the Amps are the same. Another option is some HU's have a bolt on the chassis on it that says "ground" It is an optinal ground and should not be needed, but I had a sony that had one, didn't think it would help, but it did.

Like somebody said before make sure the RCA's and the Power are not running with each other.

And if that still does not work another option is to run a cable (can be a small guage, like 14-16) and connect it to either the chassis or the ground of the HU and the other end to the chassis or the ground of the AMP. It makes the ground between them "common" This will allow for any extra power to go down it insted of going down the RCA cabled to get amplified.

Good luck
Old 04-17-2002, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High pitched whine from speakers, gets louder with revs -how do you stop it? (99VTECex)

Thanks, I am going to try moving the ground points around.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:07 AM
New User

First try turning down your gains, I moved my grounds all over the place, and finally just turned my gains down a bit and that solved it. Figure out your usable range on the headunit, example, my HU goes from 1 (quiet) up to 25 (max) I used to be only able to turn it up to 14-16 and it would be pushing the limits of my speakers and ears, that meant my gains were way to high. I readjusted my gains, now I can turn my HU up to 20-22 before my ears start to bleed. That solved 90% of my wine. Turning down your gains is not limiting your power.

If that dosent work, you need to isolate the channel that is causing the noise, it could be signal/speaker wires runnig too close. In that case, you need to make a closed loop circut (see carsound web page below) to mute each channel and try to isolate the noise from there. If that dosent work, it is probably your grounding.

Check out this fourm, it is the HT of car audio, lots of pros and fast moving board.
http://www.carsound.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php
Old 04-18-2002, 09:07 AM

Default Re: High pitched whine from speakers, gets louder with revs -how do you stop it? (Cru_Jones)

The guy above me knows what he is talking about.

I have been through 3 HU, 5 amps, 4+ wiring schemes, 2 crossovers

i have tried running oppisite sides and running the wire through the center.

You need to adjust your gains and remember that just because the gains are up doesn't mean you get the best quality/power for your speakers.

good luck
Old 04-19-2002, 02:35 AM

Default Re: High pitched whine from speakers, gets louder with revs -how do you stop it?

well first of all my hommie has a teg and a system in his car and he has had that noise for about a year now...he has rewired his rca's...his power wire...relocated his ground about 5 times...now he has a hole that goes all way to the bottom of the car with a bolt on the end...so no doubt its tight..and bare metal..

used bigger gauge wires....rewired all stock wires...used different rca's...switched head unit's...all this bs...its no use...

you could turn the gain down or get a higher wattage amp and not turn up the gain..but not everyone is rich and can get a 1000 watt or more amp...i dont really no a cure...hes gonna get it professionally wired next....hope u can cure that "turbo" noise as we call it haha...i just get annoyed and turn that shiet off.....peace man
Old 04-19-2002, 08:47 AM
New User

Default Re: High pitched whine from speakers, gets louder with revs -how do you stop it? (xpsonic)

The headunit ground sometimes gets overlooked.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:22 AM
Trial User

Location: Waipahu, HI and Irvine, CA, best of both worlds, USA
Default Re: High pitched whine from speakers, gets louder with revs -how do you stop it? (cam003)

first things first are the RCAs and the power running down seperate side of the car if not then try that, other wise try turning the gains on your amps down the, sit in you driver seat and turn the volume up to where you can listent to it at a good level wiith the amps turned all the way down,, then turn the gains up until you get a decent level out of them and then you should not here the noise.,
yo dont have to have yur amps all the way up, if you do you need to buy a better or bigger amp
hope i helped
I agree. its most likely that your rca's and power wire is close together. this shouldnt be a problem if you got good,thick rca's. I'm using rockford rca's and theres no problem running a 4 gauge power wire right next to it. IF you skimped on your rca, you might want to buy a better set.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: High pitched whine from speakers, gets louder with revs -how do you stop it? (BoroDB8)

like everyone else said.. the head unit has a ground too.. make sure there is a good grounding point for botht he head unit, and amps.. if its on a painted surface grind it down (or switch points) so that its bare metal... also separate your RCA and speaker cables from your power cables... I run mine down different sides of the car and run my AI-Net and changer cable down the middle and I get no noise at all... if you have your gains all the way up that could be a problem... what your picking up is alternator noise... w/ the motor off and car in ACC or ON but motor not running.. the noise should not be there... try all that and see if it helps... make sure your using quality cables and not radio shack or sumthing... I'm using all Phoenix gold wiring, speaker, RCA cables and 4 guage PG power cables... no problems w/ noise in my system.. grounds are on bare metal..
Old 04-24-2002, 11:22 PM
New User

try a cap or get a better batter...optima red or yellow top. whining noise is usually from the power and its the alternator making that noise with more power you wont get that. Grounds are also important because that stablizes your power.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Trial User

Default Re: High pitched whine from speakers, gets louder with revs -how do you stop it? (Int

dude i made an account just to thank you so much for this its ****in 2011 now and i finally found a solution to that ****ing whine LOL thank you so much that turn down the gain solution worked perfectly i dont need all that noise suppressor **** YOUR A GENIOUS xD
Old 01-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Trial User

Default Re: High pitched whine from speakers, gets louder with revs -how do you stop it? (Bor

Originally Posted by GSRaCeRbOI
like everyone else said.. the head unit has a ground too.. make sure there is a good grounding point for botht he head unit, and amps.. if its on a painted surface grind it down (or switch points) so that its bare metal... also separate your RCA and speaker cables from your power cables... I run mine down different sides of the car and run my AI-Net and changer cable down the middle and I get no noise at all... if you have your gains all the way up that could be a problem... what your picking up is alternator noise... w/ the motor off and car in ACC or ON but motor not running.. the noise should not be there... try all that and see if it helps... make sure your using quality cables and not radio shack or sumthing... I'm using all Phoenix gold wiring, speaker, RCA cables and 4 guage PG power cables... no problems w/ noise in my system.. grounds are on bare metal..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dude i made an account just to thank you so much for this its ****in 2011 now and i finally found a solution to that ****ing whine LOL thank you so much that turn down the gain solution worked perfectly i dont need all that noise suppressor **** YOUR A GENIOUS xD