Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

EK speaker upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK speaker upgrades

hey guys my audio system on the EK i bought is shittttttttt!!

my friend toldme i should just buck up and get the JL Audios all around, the problem is they are very pricey, i can afford them but id like to save some money, what would you audiophiles recommend? or can anyone with JL's chime in, i wouldnt mind ordering them knowing they are gonna be WELL WORTH the money, thanks guys
Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK speaker upgrades

jl audio is definitely worth the price, but that's not your only options. Just go to your local best buy and sample the speakers there to see what you like best. luckily i have frys and they have better options
i've been through polk speakers, alpine, jl audio and they all weren't half bad
Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the advise, my friends dad owns audio shop so ill probably stop by there, i feel like i might end up going with JL since i dont wanna spend 200$ and not get the qulaity i was looking for.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try demoing the speakers wherever and then buying them online. You'll get better pricing through amazon.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mikekh10a
jl audio is definitely worth the price, but that's not your only options. Just go to your local best buy and sample the speakers there to see what you like best. luckily i have frys and they have better options
i've been through polk speakers, alpine, jl audio and they all weren't half bad
What's worth the price?

w0's?
w1's?
w3's?

Their speakers?

Only "GOOD" products JL has are their amps, w6's & w7's.

People still nuthug JL audio like it's the end to all be.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

People still nuthug JL audio like it's the end to all be.
^

I have the C2-600X ("cheapies") and they sound marginally better than the OEM Pioneer paper cone door speakers. By "marginally", you have to listen "critically" and heavily contemplate what you're hearing to notice any difference.

I purchased these for the supposed "plug and play fit" (per Crutchfield) into the door and needed to cut the door panel up anyhow. They have since altered their fitment advise.

I suspect they would sound better with some acoustical treatment in the doors, but in all honesty, I got what I paid for and I'm usually not the cheap type. Just wanted something approaching plug and play, but after the effort needed to modify the door panel, I could have just purchased a higher end speaker to begin with.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:51 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

JL makes a pretty good product, there are better ones out there, also "pricey", some more then others.

As mentioned, demo some speakers, take your favorite CD or two, [tunes you listen to] to your friends dads store and have a listen.

To hell with online stores, support your local retailer, if for no other reason then customer service.

Keep in mind, the quality of sound you get from whatever speakers you end up getting will depend more on the installation of the speaker then the cost of the speaker. 94
Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They should sound worlds better if u amp them.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
JL makes a pretty good product, there are better ones out there, also "pricey", some more then others.
They do.

I don't like most of their product, but the w6v2 will forever be one of my fav sq subs of all time.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They should sound worlds better if u amp them.
I agree these should be amped and in fairness would probably sound worlds better.

I purchased these when I put my DVD/nav system in only for the fact that I thought they would be a minimal-effort "why not" upgrade. I didn't want to get into amps again at the time I put the nav unit in.

But, the unit has iPod integration so I find that I'm "into" music in the car again.

Will probably do so down the road. When I installed my alarm/door actuators, I ran 4AWG into the trunk and speaker wires into the door to be "forward thinking". I'm a sucker for this stuff and knew I would probably end up with amps anyhow.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally like the quality of soundstream speakers, you can get components in the front and rear speakers for about 90$, don't be fooled by the price though, they are good sounding speakers.. JL are good but i personally don't think they are worth the money

Soundstream speakers were recommended by my audio man who builds custom subs using kove armaggeddon motors and various sundown audio parts (which is my choice of subs, used to have re audio) and i've loved the sound quality, but like FCM said its all personal preference, you need to hear them first, but after i heard these i was sold right away...and FYI you can only buy these online, none of my local audio stores sell this brand
Old 03-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had soundstreams in my old car and they actually sounded good...i was hesitant at first b/c they were not that expensive at all, but turned out to sound realllllly nice...if u dont want an amp...grab the $100 speakers from alpine at your local bestbuy...as for JL, its a good brand, but expensive...soundstream would be your best bet, but DONT ever get a soundstream amp