Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

De-pinning Pioneer connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De-pinning Pioneer connectors?

Anyone know how to de-pin Pioneer's speaker/power connectors for the single CD head units? I need some extra space behind mine and the bundle of wires doesn't need to be there, so...

I'm looking for a clean, safe way to get the pins out. None of the hack and slash BS I got elsewhere. I know there's a secret place to stick a pin to lift a key to get the pins out, but I'll be damned if I can find it, and I've been working with connectors and cables and EE stuff for a decade.

Help?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: De-pinning Pioneer connectors? (dpaton)

Would need to see the plug. 94
Old 08-22-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: De-pinning Pioneer connectors? (fcm)

I know how to depin it. What deck? Extra space, wtfyg a mercedes. If its a single din most likely you will want to lose the pwr ant wire, ilum wire, or the mute wire. Even if ther is a couple more, 3 to 5 wires won't hurt, unless you have an amp and you want to rid the speaker outputs from the harness. Again, not enough info. I'm just guessing here. If you want to depin. Get a good pick tool and take the time and depin the wire from the plug, or just buy a pin/depin kit from snap on or matco. With the info provided thats all I can give you.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry guys, no pic until tonight. Camera's over at my sister's place.

The deck doesn't matter...the power/speaker harness is the same for everything from a DEH-P3300 to a DEH-P880PRS.

I'm planning on keeping the power, remote, illumination, backup and mute. The speaker leads are the ones getting the boot. More info is coming...give me a bit.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: (dpaton)

http://images.google.com/image...gbv=2

If it's like that then you can use staples. Bend them straight (two on each side) and push them down.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dpaton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpaton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The deck doesn't matter...the power/speaker harness is the same for everything from a DEH-P3300 to a DEH-P880PRS.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I remember correctly pioneer used two different harness last year, the main one and then there were one or two decks that used a different harness. Again, if I remember correctly, the 880prs was one of them.

Good choice on deck btw. Best sounding hu without getting ridiculously expensive
Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (misanthropist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by misanthropist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I remember correctly pioneer used two different harness last year, the main one and then there were one or two decks that used a different harness. Again, if I remember correctly, the 880prs was one of them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You got me, I had the numbers mixed up in my head. The lowest end up to the 7600 used one harness, and the 7800 up to the 980BT used the other one. At least, according to Pioneer Parts. The latter is the one I'm talking about...the little black 16 pin job with the funky dual-row-but-not arrangement. I poled the hell out of both sides last night to no avail. I have another harness from a different deck that I just hacked the speaker leads off of to get the install going, but I'm rebuilding the harness the right way to retrofit in later for the final install.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by misanthropist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good choice on deck btw. Best sounding hu without getting ridiculously expensive </TD></TR></TABLE> The honest truth? I bought it for the DSP, nothing else. Getting reasonable 3-way crossovers with time alignment for all 6 outputs shouldn't be hard, but it is. What really pisses me off is that none of the navi decks have something similar. Electrically, it's easy, they just don't want to put the extra $13 in BOM cost in and create a $2k product I'd buy in a heartbeat.