Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

DB2 Content Inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DB2 Content Inside

I picked this gem up from a local seller in August of last year. It was not running, but I had high hopes, as I've wanted an Aztec Green GSR for the better half of a decade now.
The car was far from original when I purchased it. The previous owner had carbon hood and hatch, with an ITR five lug and a different motor set up. He kept a lot of his extra parts, and I ended up giving him a running 96 Civic as trade. Sadly, the motor that I received was not the original B17. It came with a B16A bottom end with a P72 head. The head had Skunk2 Tuner 2 cams (now with dual valve springs and Ti retainers), and an S2 Pro Series IM.

The day I took it home

Got it back and pulled the head, turns out there was some MAJOR issues in there. 16 bent valves, luckily no other damage/scoring. The valve train was replaced and upgraded
Lucky me though, a DUI that I was charged with a little less than a year prior had processed, and the state of Arizona was ready to start with the butt *******. Apparently having a couple of crumbs of reefer is enough for them to deem me intoxicated, though I was completely sober at the time. After dropping all the money to fix the head, I got a $3500 bill from AZ along with a one year license suspension.
Not being able to drive sucked, I had to buy a bike for the work commute, but I still managed to budget some money for the Integra in the midst of the state’s BS. It came with some cut springs and coils and mismatched shocks, so to hold me over until I can afford what I really want (Fortune Auto or KW, still haven’t decided fully but I’m leaning towards FA with Swift springs) I found some used suspension locally. I kind of hate myself for doing this, but I got a really good deal so I picked up some Function Form Type 1’s. On a better note, I also picked up some 15x8 Enkei 92’s and some Falken Azenis RT-615k’s.

I knew that the wiring was going to have some issues, but damn I wasn’t ready for what I found under the carpet. I guess someone along the line decided that it needed the largest system it could possibly fit in there. I **** you not, there was 30+ pounds of speaker wire, what looked like home appliance wires cut into them, and ALUMINUM FOIL wrapped around the hack job connections between the multitudes of random wire used. I’ve seen some bad wiring, but this one took the cake.
Here’s what caused me to start digging a little deeper. Pulled the back seats to do some cleaning and found this.

Then more digging…

There was a turn signal speed dial cut and spliced into the dash harness as well. I don’t really understand the desire to have this option, but to each his own I guess. Wires are all soldered back together, with a new turn signal relay, but they still aren’t working. Hazards work, L or R signal do not. More to look into there, but I wasn’t too concerned at the time.

The wiring on the inside of the car was a very good indication of what to expect under the hood. The wiring was all hacked up and hadn’t been re loomed or taped ever probably. The whole harness was pulled cleaned up. All the butt connectors were removed, soldered, and heat shrunk. The old crusty loom was replaced and taped up as well. No pics, phone died.
It also had a Fields VTEC/SFC controller installed. It’s nostalgic, but not ideal considering the other options out there.

Here’s its replacement.

This thing is AMAZING. The app is so much more than I expected it to be. The real time sensor list scrolled down like 5 more pages, it’s ridiculously awesome! One little quirk I thought was pretty cool is the data logging options. Through the SManager, you can calibrate the system to start and stop data logging with the push of a button wired to your ECU, for example A/C or rear defrost.

I’ve got those 4 codes to deal with still; any help/advice would be appreciated. The ECT issue is with the wiring cap that connects to the sensor, so I’m not too worried about that. The MAP error confuses me, because through the real time it shows that the MAP is reading vacuum.
I thought it was weird that it pulls only OBD2 codes, even though I’m running an OBD1 basemap.

More to come in the next few weeks. I’d like to have the car together and running well in time for RC Garage’s grand re-opening on February 21st, but I’m waiting on the DMV to process my license reinstatement request (which apparently can take up to 45 days to process). I’ve got some time to clean.

Even with all that wiring nonsense, I was able to have a friend come over and help me out with realigning my hatch. It was sticking out about an inch when I got it and has been a huge eye sore to me the entire time. I forgot to take before photos, but here’s the tentative end result.

All of the lights on the car (with the exception of the amber bumper lenses) are obviously pretty old and worn. I decided after looking into a few different options to go ahead and refinish them since the car wasn’t moving anytime soon.

After a quick wipe down…

After wet sanding with 320 and then 800, this is how they turned out…

The tails weren’t as bad, so I just roughed them up with the 800 and taped them off. After wiping them down, all lights received 2 coats of Spraymax 2K Glamour High Gloss clear (Part # 368 0061). The end results can be seen below…

Cool story, my buddy had an EG that he was building like 8 years ago, and he has all of these quality parts just laying around that he never used. He had a set of the OG welded Hasport mounts, when their logo was the Super H. We stopped at Hasport to pick up some random stuff I needed from a guy that works there, and we started BS ing with them and got a tour of the facilities. They do some seriously cool stuff there when you get to see the magic behind closed doors. Long story short, they find out we have the OG EG mounts, and they want to add them to their museum.

My buddy doesn’t play with Hondas anymore, so….

I have a part coming from Endyn as well, more to come when I pull the motor. Progress will be slow, because I’m a broke ***, but hopefully I can get this thing back to where it deserves to be.

Last edited by badassmthr4000; 04-18-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DB2 Content Inside

man oh man! those lights being clear coated looks un real! i got my CRV headlights clear coated and i couldnt believe it, makes such a difference
Old 02-02-2015, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice build! I have a soft spot for Aztek green GS-R Integras. Mainly because my first car was almost one, but that deal went sour before I could buy it :/ Anyway, looking forward to updates!
Old 02-02-2015, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your headlights and tail lights stole the show for me. Will be doing mine asap! Good job saving a DB2!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOVEEEE aztec green gsrs! always wanted one but so hard to find, especially a clean one.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDM.RoRo
man oh man! those lights being clear coated looks un real! i got my CRV headlights clear coated and i couldnt believe it, makes such a difference
I was surprised how well it worked out as well. Just some wet sanding and clear. Spraymax 2k High Gloss, highly recommended

Originally Posted by JDMaccordwagon
Nice build! I have a soft spot for Aztek green GS-R Integras. Mainly because my first car was almost one, but that deal went sour before I could buy it :/ Anyway, looking forward to updates!
That's a shame man, I've been seeing a few on the forums/Facebook groups lately. I got really lucky and stumbled upon one locally after a NINE year search! They're out there man!

Originally Posted by MantisX
Your headlights and tail lights stole the show for me. Will be doing mine asap! Good job saving a DB2!
Thanks man! Takes a few hours and about $25 on a can of that clear from your local automotive paint store. Well worth the time and $$$!

Originally Posted by StreetLethaleg6
LOVEEEE aztec green gsrs! always wanted one but so hard to find, especially a clean one.
Much appreciate sir! Still a long way from being "clean enough" for me, but I'm definitely heading in the right direction.

I've managed to get quite a bit of work done the past few weeks! Just a few more parts to order and I should have the engine back in and running.

While the engine's out, I wanted to make sure to take advantage of all that space in the bay to work. I've stocked up on some parts to do my wire tuck, as well as my brake tuck.

I have leaky ABS Regulator, so instead of replacing/repairing that, out goes the ABS all together! I recently picked up a 40/40 prop valve from one of the guys at Hasport. I have about 40 feet of Eastwood 3/16 stainless tubing, stainless wheel well lines from ChaseBays, and all the fittings from RyWire to relocate the prop valve under my dash. I'll have more on that next time.

I'm in the process of rebuilding the steering rack, and tucking the brakes as of now. More to come soon.
Attached Images    
Old 04-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I keep finding things that are broken, so here are some of the upgrade pieces that have been trickling in slowly from FedEx and UPS.
Here's the rest of what I've accumulated over the past couple of months:
RyWire B Series Budget Tucked Harness/Ground Kit (my old one was a mess to say the least)
PLM Toda Rep Header (old header was cracked)
ATI Fluidampr Pulley (typical chipped up crank pulley)
ARP Harmonic Crank Pulley Bolt
Endyn Timing Belt Tensioner
*I'm particularly excited with these purchases, it's going to be nice to know that these things are holding down my bottom end and timing
Hasport DASTK1 Mounts 62A
Gates Timing Belt
OEM Timing Belt Cover
Rich Porter TD44 Distributor
ARP Distributor Bolts
Innovate LC1 Wideband (keep that AFR in check)
VW Scrirocco Radiator (old one was very oxidized, $54 rad tuck )
King Motorsports Extended IM and EM studs
Hondata Thermal IM and TB gaskets
Circuit Hero Velocity Stack (eventually to be taken to the good people here in AZ at 18Fab to be welded up to a nice intake pipe)
MOOG Inner/Outer Tie Rods, Steering Rack Bellows and Bushing
Attached Images           

Last edited by badassmthr4000; 04-13-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"Yeah but it's a ****** sweet car"
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2015, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Slightly off topic, but in February, RC's Garage held their "Grand Re-Opening" here in Phoenix, which sadly I wasn't able to drive to. It was an amazing experience, none the less. It was like a reunion for Honda Tuning cover cars in there.

I was struggling to hide an erection most of the event, so pictures are limited. Shitty cell phone pics, but here's what I got...enjoy
Attached Images          

Last edited by badassmthr4000; 04-13-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cars coming along nicely. beautiful cars at the meet, those are the biggest cprs i ever seen lol(on the NSX), never seen them bigger than 16"
Old 04-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car is looking great! Coming along nicely! That car bed.... haha classic
Old 04-13-2015, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by StreetLethaleg6
cars coming along nicely. beautiful cars at the meet, those are the biggest cprs i ever seen lol(on the NSX), never seen them bigger than 16"
Thank you sir! I'm right there with you! I've never seen them in that size/offset. I'm not sure if they are off the shelf or redone. I stared for awhile, haha. Ravi of RCG has 2 NSX's that are both on point as well, that place does magical things!

Originally Posted by rollinmyda
Car is looking great! Coming along nicely! That car bed.... haha classic
Thank you sir, hopefully I'll be back on the road soon
I'd get a CB radio to talk to other car beds, but I need to buy some brake line tools
Old 04-13-2015, 07:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I just built a b17 recently. Such a great motor.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden
Nice! I just built a b17 recently. Such a great motor.
Thank you sir! I can't wait to get one! I have a bottom end lined up, but I'm too broke to pick it up at the moment. Hopefully it'll still be available around payday so that I can start building that to replace the B16 block.

I may have already said this too, but I'm excited to see what you do with the coupe, it's stupid clean
Old 04-15-2015, 06:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Thanks man! I love a good 90-93 integra build.

Here's my old 91 DA.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's my old 91 DA.

wow, thats one really clean integra
Old 04-18-2015, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's my old 91 DA.

That is IMMACULATE! Can't wait to start doing the paint on mine! (edit, can't seem to find any other word to describe your cars)

For now, working on finishing up my brakes still. I just got my ChaseBays wheel well lines in the mail (liking these a lot so far, they look so OEM!), which means I officially have all the parts needed to finish...if only I could find the time.
Attached Images   

Last edited by badassmthr4000; 04-19-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Subscribed, I have an agp db2 too

Old 04-21-2015, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks awesome, man. Keep up the good work. It's unfortunate the state stripped you of your license like that...
Old 04-21-2015, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lights look good, where you get the paint from?
Old 04-22-2015, 05:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Dig the car. Very unique, but sucks no B17, just for authenticity's sake. Remember seeing one in the lot everyday in high school back in Kansas in the early 2000s. One of the counselors had damn good taste. That color is so gay it makes it awesome.

Really intrigued by that 2 component aerosol clear. I found it on Amazon. Not cheap, but I will be trying it. Had no clue something like that existed!

Sold my DA 10 years ago this July. Last spotted in Flag a few years ago, most of the cool parts gone (Comptech, rare Enkei ER01s, RS*R s'hit sold/removed!?!), and likely a basket case of wires like yours. Why do people ruin these Integras to such a degree? Damn Jews, always ruining Hondas in AZ... oh wait...
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2015, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice, which hondata system did you go with?
Old 04-25-2015, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ZachK
Subscribed, I have an agp db2 too
Nice! It looks all original too!

Originally Posted by DC4_Dad
Looks awesome, man. Keep up the good work. It's unfortunate the state stripped you of your license like that...
Thank you sir! Stuff happens; I look at it as a blessing, considering to number of times it probably should have happened when I was younger….and dumber. Very expensive lesson learned. :smiley:

Originally Posted by ZachK
Lights look good, where you get the paint from?
Thanks man! The paint can be purchased at your local automotive paint store, or online if you don’t have one. It’s a little under $30 per can, and you only get one use as it has an activator. I SprayMax 2K High Gloss Clear Coat (Part# 368 0061)

Originally Posted by JDMHN8
Dig the car. Very unique, but sucks no B17, just for authenticity's sake. Remember seeing one in the lot everyday in high school back in Kansas in the early 2000s. One of the counselors had damn good taste. That color is so gay it makes it awesome.

Really intrigued by that 2 component aerosol clear. I found it on Amazon. Not cheap, but I will be trying it. Had no clue something like that existed!

Sold my DA 10 years ago this July. Last spotted in Flag a few years ago, most of the cool parts gone (Comptech, rare Enkei ER01s, RS*R s'hit sold/removed!?!), and likely a basket case of wires like yours. Why do people ruin these Integras to such a degree? Damn Jews, always ruining Hondas in AZ... oh wait...
Thanks! I’ve got a B17 short block lined up; just need the funds to get it. I could grab it now, but I gotta get this thing running again before the AZ summer kicks in. Bikes+summer=no bueno.
That is super clean BTW

Originally Posted by thrty8street
Nice, which hondata system did you go with?
Thank you sir! S300 v3 HIGHLY recommended. The app is so much more in depth than what I expected. I may not be the best frame of reference as this is my first Hondata system, but I’m definitely a satisfied customer

Not much for updates this week, still waiting on tools to come in the mail to do the brake tuck.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Small update, I managed to get a little bit of garage time this week. I spent most of the time playing around with where to mount my prop valve for me to be able to retain my HVAC stuff. It's going to be a tight squeeze with the old style prop valve, but it should work out.

This was my first time working with these tools, not too bad

While pulling the booster to flip (hide vacuum line), I decided it could use a refreshing as well.

Waiting on some banjo bolts for the lines to the MC and I still need to order the parts to make my PS breather/loop.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Small update, I'm doing training at work for the next few weeks, so my days off have become non existent.

I managed to (tentatively) finalize my lines for the rear brakes as well as the MC from under the dash. The lines all fit under the heater core and don't seem to interfere with the pedals at all. More to come when I have time...

Quick Reply: DB2 Content Inside