Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Whats today's B series Valve Retainer and Keeper of choice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Whats today's B series Valve Retainer and Keeper of choice?

Whats today's B series Valve Retainer and keeper of choice?

Reason being, I'm dusting off old parts and putting a B series back on the road. Back in the day, 15+ years ago I had 2 heads, ported the same, turbo car had Brian Crower spings and ti retainers with stock sized ferrea valves, the all motor car ran stock retainers and oversized ferreas with Toda springs and regularly saw 9400rpm. I retired the cars around 2005, swapped the Brian Crower springs and retainers on the oversized valve head and sold it, it failed on the new owner within 6 months. Not sure what cams ran or rpm it saw.

I don't want to take any chances with my refresh, 14:1 compression will probably see 9000+ rpm. I purchased new Toda springs, I'll be running low lift, long duration cams. I read rsx s retainers is a thing now but I also read they are heavier than the gsr retainers. Also wondering about what keepers to use, buy new OE, or cromo, or stainless? I'm likely steering clear of titanium parts unless somebody has a good argument for it. Any help is appreciated, been out of the loop for a while.