Notices

supertech valvetrain,how good is it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supertech valvetrain,how good is it?

most of the time i see any info about there product some one is getting rid of it. would like to hear from someone who actually knows,or is using there valvetrain B or D series. thanks
Old 02-11-2006, 05:28 AM

Default Re: supertech valvetrain,how good is it? (PBOOSTIN)

it's a goot valvetrain............
Old 02-11-2006, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am running there valve springs and retainers in a B series and I am not haveing any problems with them...... they are good
Old 02-11-2006, 05:54 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: supertech valvetrain,how good is it? (BoostedEG6)

I like them as well. I'm currently using their higher compression nitrite-treated valves w/ TODA valvetrain. Very nice indeed.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: supertech valvetrain,how good is it? (TheShodan)

I believe its the same company that makes rev and others as well.......its all good stuff
Old 02-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: supertech valvetrain,how good is it? (D@nnY)

Supertech is like the new Ferrea, most engine builders are staritng to use Supertech, at least i know Endyn and Earl Laskey now use them....

i have supertech valves w/ endyn springs and retainers that i will be using withing a couple months....

all ive heard are good things about Supertech
Old 02-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No complaints thus far. Supertech valve springs, retainers and seats.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supertech Valvetrain is the ONLY choice of valvetrain racers use. I wouldnt use anything else other than Supertech.

Think about it. You are putting money into a motor that you want to perform well and matches the setup that you are building. SKunk2, etc. are not Specific to the type of engine you are building. Keep in mind guys that not all valvesprings are made the same. Each has their own Spring rates and specs to fit the different needs.

All Motor, there are several to choose from. Street all motor, your basic Skunk2 stage 2 cams, etc.
Then you have the higher spring rates for higher lift cams, and they even have higher than that for Full race cams.

Turbo B-series, there is a spring rate for setups planning to boost 7psi all the way to 25psi. Once you are boosting over 30psi and taking it to 10K RPM, theres a specific combination for that too.

IF you are choosing to buy a valvetrain setup, make sure its for what you are going to use. Dont just go by the name and price. Valvesprings can make or break your engine. If you put a weaker valvespring that what you should have, it can cause problems. If you put too strong that what you really need, thats not good either.

So when you're buying from a Supertech dealer, make sure you are telling them what you need or you can ask them for technical guidance so you choose the right one.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:52 PM

ive seen the high compression supertech valves break in a NA b series street motor,but you cant judge a product off of one persons experience most of the info ive heard about them is good
Old 02-12-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Re: (Gojira D.O.T)

Pm earl he can get you a good price on supertech stuff
Old 02-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Silverhatch)

Several of our customers have wasted the entire engines from the Supertech valves breaking. They are a two piece valve, and it seems to be the point where they are connected together that is the breaking point. This is on both all motor and turbo applications. One guy drove all the way to Georgia for NOPI and ended up getting stuck there after the valve broke. He had to get towed all the way home to Philadelphia with his N/A engine that had a complete Supertech valvetrain. His springs were not coil binding with his cams. My recommendation would be either Manley or Ferrera.

Edit: Another failure we've seen with this valvetrain on two N/A motors has been the valve pulling through the retainer because Supertech uses a stock keepers with a titanium retainer.

Modified by Andrea at 7:34 PM 2/12/2006
Old 02-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Andrea)

I have had great luck with Supertech. 10,000 rpms with no problems at all.
I believe the valves are one piece, I'm sure Earl will clear that up.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Andrea)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andrea &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.
Another failure we've seen with this valvetrain on two N/A motors has been the valve pulling through the retainer because Supertech uses a stock keepers with a titanium retainer.
[/i]</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have seen valves pull through the retainer because of the use of stock keepers with ti retainers and then the engine goes boom! It's a catasrophic boom too..That's why I refuse any job that uses a valvetrain that uses stock keepers..although there is many people getting away with it, I am not getting that phone call from my customer..I haven't had a problem since the day I decided that, and that was in 2001..Not ONE!

[QUOTE=exospeedAMcrx]Supertech Valvetrain is the ONLY choice of valvetrain racers use.
QUOTE]

Your just talking **** here right? I love you and I know your just trying to cheerlead for SuperTech but you shouldn't say things that are not true..it doesn't help anyone when you do that. There are some who use there valvetrain but it's not the top choice of ALL the racers. I would say in my opinion it's not even a quarter of them. And that quarter is not even the top runners of the class.. It's not the new Ferrea..have you seen Ferrea's catalog? Pics of all the top, record holding, race winning sport compacts are all using Ferrea..that's not me just talking, that's the truth.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HEAD)

Ok let me rephrase what I said. Supertech is a good choice in many applications. Ferrea is a great choice as well. I didnt mean to say EVERYONE uses Supertech, but alot of high end race setups are on Supertech, rather than cheapo brands that you see out there.
What I said may have sounded 1 sided, but I'm open to use any brand that is good. HEAD, my only rant is people that assume that ANY valvetrain as long as its for a B16A/B18C head is all the same. My point was, that make sure the proper kit that you're putting in your cyl head is right for your setup.
Wouldn't you agree with that? Wouldnt you suggest to your customers who are planning to boost over 30psi, use a valvetrain that is suitable for that type of stress levels. That was my point and not to just say Use ONLY Supertech.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (exospeedAMcrx)

This is why I don't use ANY valvetrain that uses a stock keeper...this was NOT a Supertech valvetrain, but it was a leading brand combined with stock keepers and valves.

Modified by HEAD at 9:40 AM 2/13/2006
Old 02-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HEAD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HEAD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is why I don't use ANY valvetrain that uses a stock keeper</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm so glad you did my head, Dave.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:45 PM

ouch
Old 02-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (exospeedAMcrx)

i would stress getting a quality set of valvetrain. only took a 10 pulls on 25psi to crack a retainor on my ITR valvetrain. was only taking it to 8k... blah
Old 02-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMs1eeper)

Remember, SuperTech has 2 different valves. One is the black nitrided valve and we have never seen a problem with them. They do have a cheaper NON coated valves that are made in Taiwan. They are for the users that care about nothing but price. I have never sold a set of them.
One thing to remember is that if you knock a piston into a valve and the valve breaks, you cannot really blame it on the valve for breaking. When inspecting an engine, it is hard to tell the real cause of a failure like that.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (earl)

my supertech valvetrain has held up just fine, they had a good deal of 9800rpm passes last year and when i dropped the head off at the machine shop, he said everything tested out perfectly.

I'm running the black coated valves without the flat bottom along with valvesprings & retainors.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They are for the users that care about nothing but price. I have never sold a set of them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I do admit I sell Supertech, and this is the only reason why. I will not sell them to someone looking to spin the motor at high rpms, nor the guys making excessive hp.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
One thing to remember is that if you knock a piston into a valve and the valve breaks, you cannot really blame it on the valve for breaking. When inspecting an engine, it is hard to tell the real cause of a failure like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is why you spend the extra money on Ferrea. The valve will bend before it breaks. I have a great example in our showroom that our good friend HEAD above gave us that I show our customers. Its a ferrea valve that came out of a ProRWD car making in excess of 1500whp. Looks like curvy mountain road, lol. On that pass all 6 pistons exited the block and the only thing salvagable was the cylinder head!
Old 02-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93LSivic)

OK, I guess this should correct a few things that have been said here...

[B]Hi Earl

We have detected in the following link some things that are not true and I would like to say the following:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1523917

1) All Supertech Valves are ONE PIECE FORGED and not like that guy Andrea was posting. This is very easy to evaluate by running a magnet through the valve stem.

2) Supertech Valves are more expensive than Ferrea valves, but we sell them at a lower price (lower profits) and they are NOT like the new Ferrea.

3) Our cheaper CHROMED valves ARE like the new Ferrea. And are NOT made in Taiwan but at our same factory in Argentina. This is a very good and reliable valve but for a NA application with no Nitrous and without the extra benefits of our Black Nitride valve.

4) Our Valves DO NOT BREAK by itself. In Honda engines there has been a lot of situations of valves clipping each other or hitting the piston due to incorrect tuning of aftermarket camshafts. And many breakages due to these reasons have been blamed to the valves.

5) All Supertech valves (even the cheaper version) BEND when they clip another valve or hit the piston, in the SAME way that some guys comment from Ferrea. BUT an engine that keeps running with a bent valve, will break the valve being a Supertech or a Ferrea valve (this irremediable happens by fatigue of the material that keeps bending several hundred or thousand cycles).

We have seen many Ferrea broken valves too and many bent Supertech valves too, so in this sense there is not sensible difference.

6) Supertech Valves DO NOT PULL through retainers (?). We have seen CHEAP aftermarket Titanium retainers pulling through the keepers (not the valves), but NEVER a SUPERTECH RETAINER because we use the best US made and strongest Titanium alloy.

Honda keepers are of good quality. And the latest K20/S2000 keepers are even better, much better than the brittle Ferrea keepers that some customers have complained of breaking.

Anybody that has a concern about any Supertech product can send us an e-mail to tech@supertechperformance.com and we will respond with a serious technical explanation.

Best regards

***** Tagliavini

Director / Sales Engineer
Supertech Performance Inc.
3851-C Charter Park Dr., San Jose, CA 95136
Ph: 408-448-2001
Fax:408-448-3700
*****@supertechperformance.com
http://www.supertechperformance.com[/B]
Old 02-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, *****. This is the kind of support we receive from SuperTech and why I use them exclusively in all my builds. Try getting this kind of help from other manufacturers.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks, *****. This is the kind of support we receive from SuperTech and why I use them exclusively in all my builds. Try getting this kind of help from other manufacturers. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Agree with you Earl. 10,500RPM at 40psi of boost for a full season on Supertech valvetrain. If I didnt believe in them, why would we put it in our big dollar engines.
Thanks *****.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:41 PM

Supertech is good, Ferrea is good, Manley are good, Crower are good....I have used them.
you want the best valves....go to DelWest....but be ready to mortgage.
I wouldn't blame this engine failure posted above on the valve manufacturer.
Detonation will do major damage...it "tulips" valves, bends rods, holes piston......its quite a powerful force.
where is the engine blueprint?
this seems like is another voodoo engine builder, throw parts in and hope it works....scarey ****.
I'd like to see all and every measurement......if you are going to use an engine for serious use, a proper blueprint is mandatory.
I am getting tired of people blaming their total lack of engine building skills on component manufacturers.
There is nothing wrong with the Supertech nitrided valves.......there is something wrong with engine owners unfairly blaming companies for failures that is not their fault....
I will say alot of "offshore" components are not made as they are claimed to be.
get a better engine builder.......everything has a failing point.....but I don't think that is the case here.......there are hundreds if not thousands of these mis assembled "built" engines on the internet...........smarten up.....do it correctly.....do it well.

Modified by PocketRockets Racing at 4:52 PM 2/13/2006

Quick Reply: supertech valvetrain,how good is it?