Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

someone please help and give me advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 someone please help and give me advice

first off i have 2 problems i just cant figure out wats going on i have a 2000 civic si ith a b16a2 all it has is normal builtons motor internally is stock

1st: my antifreeze only hold at idol and car wont over heat but when im driving it for say in the morning by end of night ittl be empty both radiator but reservoir goes down first there is no leaks i see absolutely no leaks where is the anti freeze going?

number 2: on first start up the motor seems to idol ruff and sound like a sti and sometimes when driving it it sounds like it bogs a little like sti sounds when i give it gas for say in 2nd gear then after it makes that sound it goes bak to normal and suggestions please let me no
Old 05-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: someone please help and give me advice

plugs in good condition? dizzy. ok? timing correct? and do you have a hole in the radiator or overflow tank/ i had a cracked heater hose and was leaking coolant as well but could not see any signs of a leak, just the occasional smell and that my overflow was empty
Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a head gasket.

The bogging you hear is probably a cylinder missing which in turn would make it "ruff".

Could be a hose but from what you described it sounds like a headgasket problem.

1. Stop driving your car.
2. Do a compression test.
3. Smell the exhaust - not for too long tho.
4. Look for leaks-radiator-heater core-hoses-by the crank cover-around the head.
5. Figure out whats going wrong.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be a hole in the radiator because I had a similar problem because you dont see the leak when the car is moving and when you check the radiator when your stopped
Old 05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks alot guys yeah the bog sounds like a sti with a exghsaust and only sometimes i gotta double check the hoses and the radiotor for leaks it all looks fine but ill check
Old 05-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah if the car is sittn in garage idoling for a long time it wont over heat for say i go out drive it get on it a little by night its wouldve alread overheated or the resivoir is dry and radiotor needs filling
Old 05-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE

number 2: on first start up the motor seems to idol ruff and sound like a sti [/QUOTE]

i would have to agree with carfanatic

thats how a typical bad head gasket sounds. if you have no visible leaks that also points toward the head gasket problem, along with the cylinder miss-firing sound.
if you cannot get a hold of a compression tester ....start the car then stand at muffler have someone hit the gas and look for more than normal water exiting the pipe.... typically the exhaust will have a sweet odor too.
BUT you DEFINITELY need stop driving the car
also, check your oil for discoloration. look at the dipstick or just drain the oil. if its discolored or seems watered down then that really tells you you are looking at a head gasket problem. ask yourself whens the last time the car had the head gasket replaced and whens the last time it overheated or ran hotter than normally.
whenever a car over heats it hardens seals to the point to where they crack and no longer provide proper sealing... so they're pretty much done(have those replaced right away). excessive over heating will only further worsen you head gasket and seals.