Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Locking the rocker arms by compressed air

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locking the rocker arms by compressed air

I am in the process of degreeing an engine... I've always worked with degreeing engines that were non-vtec so I am a bit confused as to how to lock the rocker arms on the VTEC lobe.

I have been told to shoot compressed air into the head which will slide the pins over thus enabling me to degree the cam for vtec... my question is which location do I used to shoot compressed air in. I've tried with the 10mm bolt on the exhaust side of the head with the vtec selenoid on and the pins are not sliding over. My guess is the air is shooting right back out and not building up the pressure needed. Should I try doing so at the back of the head where the bronze bolt is at?

After I figure out which port to use... I'm going to have a fitting machined so I can simply set my regulator at XX psi and hook it directly to the head. Also, what psi should I regulate it at? I cannot remember the oil pressure that engages the lobes.... I guess it's time to sift through my helms.

Thanks guys
Old 03-29-2005, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Locking the rocker arms by compressed air (PrecisionH23a)

cant you just disassemble the rockers and switch the 2 pins to lock it in vtec? like you do when you clay a motor?

Old 03-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Locking the rocker arms by compressed air (b16supertuner)

Yes.... but the majority of people that I've spoken with (including skunk2) do the compressed air method.

I pulled out the helms manual and it looks like you block off the relief hole and use 36psi of compressed air.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:42 PM
RMS

no need to energize the solenoid. regulate the air pressure at your compressor... a leak-down type regulator won't allow enough volume to keep them activated. and you will have to turn the engine over at least once for the rockers to line up and allow the pins to slide over. good job: too few people actually put the effort in to checking cam timing before the engine is in the car.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RMS)

Thanks for the info RMS. So hook up the air hose... set the desired psi then rotate it until it locks into position? I guess keep checking by pressing down the mid-lobe to see if it has engaged, correct?

To be honest, I don't see how people take such a risk of dialing in cams on the dyno. Go a degree or 2 too far and kiss your valves adios.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree