Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

B series Vtec - how much pressure on the secondary rocker arm vtec locking spring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default B series Vtec - how much pressure on the secondary rocker arm vtec locking spring?

Since the rebuild of my motor it seems vtec wasn't engaging.
B18C5 with B16 head.

Yesterday afternoon I tested the vtec system by pressurizing the port on the head near the vtec solenoid - using an m10x1.0 adapter fitting.

I put 60psi of air through it and blocked the bypass so that I was forcing air through the rocker arms, while rotating the crank by hand.

The mid rockers never locked.

So I tore it down.

I pulled the timing belt, oiling plates, cam caps, rocker arms, and checked the three o-rings and dowel pins.

Everything looked perfect.

All had been assembled and torqued by the book. (Yay me!)

The only anomaly I could find is that the primary rockers (the ones with the shorter vtec locking pins) seemed to not move - on at least a few of them.
Blowing air into them didn't move the pins freely.

I removed the pins with a magnet (on a couple of them this was difficult and I don't think it should have been).
I cleaned them and reassembled and tested again with blowing air manually into them - all seems good now.

The mid (vtec) rocker arms all had pins that slid and moved freely.

The secondary rockers - the ones with a spring loaded pin seem stiff - how much pressure should they require to move?

Can I disassemble them?

Can I remove the spring and shaft and clean them as well?