Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Locking vtec with Air.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking vtec with Air.

I'm trying to get my Cams Degreed in. I block that bleed hole and apply compressed air to the Front of the Head. I can see the pistons in the Rockers move. However I cannot get vtec to lock. I can feel air coming out of the Rockers. Using a big air compressor and it shouldn't have a problem with the Demand. I also have a regulator/gauge attached. I'm only able to maintain 40psi.

So my question is. How much air should be able to escape the Rockers or should there be NO air escaping the rockers at all?
Old 07-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Locking vtec with Air.

This may be bad advice, but can't you just lock it by sending 12V to the switch? I think for short periods that should be fine. If the car is on and running, just lower the VTEC engagement.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Freemananana
This may be bad advice, but can't you just lock it by sending 12V to the switch? I think for short periods that should be fine. If the car is on and running, just lower the VTEC engagement.
This would only work with the engine running to supply oil pressure. what he's doing is setting up the cam so running it is not possible.

OP- a little oil in the feed to the rockers may help them seal off a little better. as a last resort, intentionally assembling the pins and spring(s?) in the wrong order will "lock" VTEC so you can do your degree-ing. just be sure you know how they go back together correctly.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried the oil and all I got was a Splatter mess. NOT good on a show car lol...
I don't want to do it like that either. I think my Air Compressor can handle the demand. But, here's the deal. It's in the basement and fed to the side of the house via an old gas line(about 30' 7/8" I/D) and then the only hose I have is about 30' and 5/16. So I think the total length of line from the bigass air compressor to the head is part of the problem. But, I don't know. It also seems the head is leaking so much air it can't support over 35psi through that hole. AND YES, I am plugging that hole in the Head. This head new to me and yes it had been dropped and re-welded right above where you plug in the air. However it doesn't seem to be leaking much anywere around there.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:17 PM
Trial User

If this is an LSVTEC setup with a oil feed line tapped into the head as it should be, you are losing air through there. What l do I remove vtec solenoid, place a thick ( but not too thick) piece of rubber between the solenoid and head to block off main port. Don't over tighten the vtec valve bolts. Apply air pressure and turn motor over once. Pins should then engage
Old 08-27-2015, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

If the engine is on a stand, it is very easy to remove the VTEC assembly and one oil rail end cap from the transmission end of the cylinder head, screw a 12mm x 1.25 bolt (transmission case-to-block bolt works fine) a few threads deep into the oil bars, pull out far enough to free the rocker arms in cylinder 1, move the long pin over to the primary rocker and the primary pin into the VTEC rocker... then push the oil bar back into place. Obviously, you must remove the oil restrictor from under the #1 cam caps first, and then re-install it after the above mentioned steps.

This way, you have fewer devices in your way to cause heart-ache... not to mention a quieter environment to degree your cams !!! Once finished, put the pins back to their original positions and enjoy.

I have been doing it this way for years and have never had an issue.