All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

h22 cam choice...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22 cam choice...

I've got an H22 civic that i want to build all-motor...it's already pretty stout, it has an intake, exhaust and port-matched header, and a Crome ECU... it's a good baseline, but the entire head is stock.

now, i've done some research, and i really think i want to go for the Brian Crower Stage 2 cams with retainers and springs. However, i want some advice, because i've heard different things.

Are the Skunk2 Pro1 cams more aggressive? I read that somewhere, but i'm not so sure i believe it, the specs are different...

basically, i want the best cam that 93 octane pump gas will allow. i plan on increasing the compression to around 11.5 to 12:1, which seem to be possible on 93 octane...i really don't care about how the car idles, i like lumpy-lobed hondas, and also, i don't care about emissions or noise. So, my basic question is, what is the sickest cam i could buy for a daily driven honda that will see some drag use, but won't need valve-adjustments all the time?
also, is the BC spring/retainer setup any good? they are not too expensive, and seem to be good quality. also, the money is right for the cams, but if they're gonna be garbage, then i'll buy some thing else...
Old 09-07-2008, 09:38 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: h22 cam choice... (gotrice16)

pro9
Old 09-07-2008, 09:50 AM

Default Re: h22 cam choice... (98vtec)

what is that?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm currently running JUN cams in my H22 and have nothing but love for them...
Old 09-08-2008, 09:55 AM
King of the One Liners

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gotrice16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's already pretty stout, it has an intake, exhaust and port-matched header, and a Crome ECU... .
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sorry but that does not equal a pretty stout build.

Port Matched Header? If the head is stock ( with stock ports obviously) what exactly is the header port matched to ?

How do you plan on accomplishing the 11.5-12:1 cr ?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:28 PM

Default Re: h22 cam choice... (2fastGSR)

mahle pistons, a milled head, and a thinner head gasket...11.5:1 is good enough...
but, since i have a good base that has no leaks and runs very strong, i consider it stout...
stout means strong. if a tree is stout, or a football player is stout, it means that they are strong, not fast...

i don't know exactly what it's matched to, i bought the thing and looked inside...
all i know is that it has the anti-reversion pipes and a good merge collector...
so, do those jun cams idle rough? i kind of want something with a lope, but something that i can drive on the street without needing new rocker arms all the time...i was thinking crower stage 2 cams, i've seen a vid of those and they lope, but they sound nice on the dyno...
Old 09-09-2008, 01:37 PM
King of the One Liners

OK well , because you want to get technical - let me quote your original post again-

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gotrice16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> it's already pretty stout, it has an intake, exhaust and port-matched header, and a Crome ECU</TD></TR></TABLE>

You said its pretty stout and then listed mods right after, you didnt say it runs well after you said it was stout . Which is why i made the comment i did

Jun cams do not idle rough , but may be a little expensive for what they are.
Crower cams arent bad.
Sk2 pro 1s is prob what i would go after

Good luck
Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 PM

i don't like pro 1s, i had a b16 with pro1s, and it didn't feel all that fast after i installed them...it was like, only a 10 hp gain after tuning...it idled like stock, and it just wasn't as impressive as i thought...i had CTR cams in it before, i got the SKunk2s for cheap, and i didn't feel much of a gain in performance...i had some stock cams to test the baseline, but it only made 3 hp over the CTRs
Old 09-09-2008, 02:28 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is a b16 a h22?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gotrice16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i don't like pro 1s, i had a b16 with pro1s, and it didn't feel all that fast after i installed them...it was like, only a 10 hp gain after tuning...it idled like stock, and it just wasn't as impressive as i thought...i had CTR cams in it before, i got the SKunk2s for cheap, and i didn't feel much of a gain in performance...i had some stock cams to test the baseline, but it only made 3 hp over the CTRs</TD></TR></TABLE> You had stage 1's, you got took they were not pro1's E-Bay for the win.
To the OP, Mahle's have a higher compression than they advertise, the opposite of every other piston place, Pro1's or Pro2's are good H22 cams.You do need supporting valve train, adj. pulleys etc.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:50 PM

Default Re: h22 cam choice... (DonF)

they had pr1 stamped on the side, i didn't buy them off ebay neither... i got them from a buddy, i saw him order them. he was going to give him to his brother as a gift, but his bro came home one night with some buddy club cams that were tight as hell...so, he offered them to me for cheap...

i wish buddy club made h22 cams, that'd be nice...anyway, i'd get pro2, and probably get the BC valvetrain because it is cheap and looks very nice.
mahle's are what i want, because i won't have to sleeve the cylinders, plus, i don't want to have to bore and hone oversized type s pistons or anything else, for that matter...
Old 09-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gotrice16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mahle pistons, a milled head, and a thinner head gasket...11.5:1 is good enough...
but, since i have a good base that has no leaks and runs very strong, i consider it stout...
stout means strong. if a tree is stout, or a football player is stout, it means that they are strong, not fast...

i don't know exactly what it's matched to, i bought the thing and looked inside...
all i know is that it has the anti-reversion pipes and a good merge collector...
so, do those jun cams idle rough? i kind of want something with a lope, but something that i can drive on the street without needing new rocker arms all the time...i was thinking crower stage 2 cams, i've seen a vid of those and they lope, but they sound nice on the dyno...</TD></TR></TABLE>

pro 1's are a great H22 cam for a stock to moderate build. we made great power on them.. however the idle is not stock and takes a little work to get it to even stay on..

Blox B's are also a cheap cam that make great power with no erratic and lumpy idle. overall a great cam. its up to you.

if you don't mind the way it idles and shuts off occasionaly then go pro 1's if you want a near stock idle with good performance then go Blox B's. or skunk 2 stage 2. same thing.. but blox is a lot cheaper..
Old 09-09-2008, 03:31 PM

Default Re: h22 cam choice... (h22crxpwr)

are pro2's that crazy? i like a lumpy idle...and as for the cutting off problem, i don't mind if it craps out and stalls...if it sounds like the car has a WW2 daimler benz engine and rumbles like a beast in the process, i don't mind having to restart the car if i don't give it enough gas...

i'd like the best cam that i can get away with on 93 octane...
Old 09-09-2008, 04:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gotrice16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they had pr1 stamped on the side, i didn't buy them off ebay neither... i got them from a buddy, i saw him order them. he was going to give him to his brother as a gift, but his bro came home one night with some buddy club cams that were tight as hell...so, he offered them to me for cheap...

i wish buddy club made h22 cams, that'd be nice...anyway, i'd get pro2, and probably get the BC valvetrain because it is cheap and looks very nice.
mahle's are what i want, because i won't have to sleeve the cylinders, plus, i don't want to have to bore and hone oversized type s pistons or anything else, for that matter...</TD></TR></TABLE> On the side of what? Never seen a "stamped" Skunk Pro cam, maybe you got something special.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:02 PM

Default Re: h22 cam choice... (DonF)

that sucks...maybe...he bought it off ebay, it had the original box, but it was wrapped in bubble wrap and had oil residue....
anyway, anybody have a pro 2 setup that they like? what do pro 2's sound like? all the engines i've heard with them sound pretty nice...
Old 09-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you know you still have to hone the block for the mahle pistons?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:59 PM

Default Re: h22 cam choice... (NAH2B)

of course...but i don't need to sleeve it because the material is soft enough...
how would one go about honing honda cylinders?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are a lot of people running the pro1's have makeing great power.

if i were you id run the same brand valve train and cams. not that you have to or that it is recommended but its a lil added security. you know what those cams were ran and tested on that valve train.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:18 AM
King of the One Liners

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gotrice16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i don't like pro 1s, i had a b16 with pro1s, and it didn't feel all that fast after i installed them...it was like, only a 10 hp gain after tuning...it idled like stock, and it just wasn't as impressive as i thought...i had CTR cams in it before, i got the SKunk2s for cheap, and i didn't feel much of a gain in performance...i had some stock cams to test the baseline, but it only made 3 hp over the CTRs</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you really just compare pro1s from a 1.6L to a 2.2L ?

So you watched your friend by them off ebay and you didnt smack him ?

Ebay is not a source for performance parts , I'm sorry.

You want ebay price, you get ebay performance . .

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gotrice16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i don't want to have to bore and hone oversized type s pistons or anything else, for that matter...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless you can get away with a clean up hone, then i would plan on doing just that.

Take it to a machine shop that has the correct stones for FRM blocks
Old 09-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gotrice16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> his bro came home one night with some buddy club cams that were tight as hell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is when I stopped reading.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:37 AM
King of the One Liners

Default Re: h22 cam choice... (Combustion Contraption)

hahahaha

Cams can be tight . .

toight toight. . . . toight like a toiger
Old 09-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got pro2s idles a little rough at like 900-1100 rpm not that bad tho
Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 PM

Default Re: h22 cam choice... (JDMPoochie)

how are they for power?

and does anyone own any Brian Crower cams?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:55 PM

bump