Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

FRESH BUILD OVERHEATING!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRESH BUILD OVERHEATING!!!!

OK so i finished the car sometime in the winter(early Feb) the car was running perfect no problems at all, but now that we've bin having some nice sunny warm days the car will start overheating after a 15-30min drive. During the build there was NO,NOT ANY corners were cut everything mostly new or in good working condition that means NEW water pump OEM, NEW thermostat, NEW (ALL) hoses,NEW OEM head gasket,NEW GSR ARP studs,NEW radiator cap,NEW coolant 50/50 mix. COOLANT IS NOT MIXING WITH OIL.The car will be fine on the highway but at slow or dead stop traffic the car will slowly start to heat up and I'll just turn on the heater and it will be good. Fan's GOOD turns on when it has to and stays on, checked it before i put it on the car. When normal operation temps have bin reach and fan has turn on BOTH radiator hoses TOP AND BOTTOM are hot. I've already bled the cooling system like 5 times, i opened the little bleeder nipple filled the radiator with coolant until it'll come out the nipple for a little wile, close it and top off the radiator LEAVING the radiator cap OFF. Turn on the car and let it run till it reaches normal operation temps and the fan turns on finish topping off the radiator with coolant and put the cap back on. But what i did notice when i compare the times I've bled my EK AND DC cooling system, is that when they reach normal operation temp and fan turns on the coolant will slowly start rising and it'll be coming out and that's when i would stop bleeding the system put the cap back on, BUT with MY CAR the times I've bled the cooling system the coolant WILL NOT rise up. ANY experienced help will be greatly appreciated. tnx!!

there was a little tiny leak were i plugged a nipple by the thermo housing(GSR) that i didn't need but i just had to tighten a little more i seem to stop the leak. I lost like 20-28 oz of coolant since the last time i bled the system (8 days). So i filled the rad back up and went for a drive and the car still overheated.

BUILD SETUP.............

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...tec+stock+cams

COOLING SETUP........

-Mishimoto half rad (USED)
-Mishimoto hose kit (NEW)
-Mishimoto High Pressure 1.3 Bar Radiator Cap Small (NEW)
-MIshimoto 10" slim fan (USED)
-Stant "Premium" (bullshit) Thermostat 170 degree (NEW)

Today i will drain the cooling system and replace the thermostat and reroute the nipple i plugged and pure a 40/60 mixture and see what happens.
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FRESH BUILD OVERHEATING!!!!

Is the fan blowing in the right direction?
Old 05-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you pushing any fluid out to the over flow before it over heats... (right before).
I had a HG leak that cause this to happen. Pushed the fluid out of the top of the head 1st, fans come on but not enough water to aid on the heat transfer. It only took about 3/4 the over flow capacity before it started running hot.

In the beginning it would lonly happen while beating on it, then it gradually got to where you could see a constant stream of bubbles if the radiator cap was off.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you burp the coolant system using the coolant bleed off screw. You may have air trapped in the coolant system.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe the fan is pushing air towards the radiator but as far as i know it shouldn't matter and i did bleed the cooling system
Old 05-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your fan should be pulling air into the engine bay
Old 05-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pasaunde
Are you pushing any fluid out to the over flow before it over heats... (right before).
I had a HG leak that cause this to happen. Pushed the fluid out of the top of the head 1st, fans come on but not enough water to aid on the heat transfer. It only took about 3/4 the over flow capacity before it started running hot.

In the beginning it would lonly happen while beating on it, then it gradually got to where you could see a constant stream of bubbles if the radiator cap was off.
im not sure but i'll check today after i finish replacing the thermo. The last time drove the car it started over heating like 5min away from my house so i had to turn on the heater and it went back to normal temp. As soon as i barked in my driveway i turn of the heater to see if it would overheat again but it stayed at normal temp so i started revving it, hitting the 2 step (at 5k) few times each time for like 4sec and the temp started rising very slowly and checked to see if the fan was on and it was good.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car is having the same exact problem, im taking it to my mechanic hopefully this week cause im tired of fixing and replacing things and it still overheating. I think its the heater core, but we will see I guess.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe your should replace your used parts.........do you know the radiator and fan history? also like boostedej1 said your fan should be pulling or pushing cool air into the engine bay from the front bumper. you might need to reverse the fan.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id also replace the stant thermostat with an OEM one. Sounds like the fan is blowing in the wrong direction too. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem with a B20Vtec I built and it was the head gasket changed it to a GE one and engine has run perfect for the last 18 months.the engine did not boil it would just run at 200 degree's with a 178 degree thermostat with the new head gasket it runs at 180 degree's all day now.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up for this. probably a bad headgasket seal.

Last edited by pooorman's type-r; 05-12-2010 at 04:07 PM.