Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating

I looked threw a couple of threads and I haven't seen a solution. My car is over heating. I see no holes or leaks, but the reservoir tank is boiling up and feeling up. I am guessing it is the thermostat. Does anyone else have any other clues. I haven't checked cause I made it to work and I will be here for 5 more hours. Just want to know so I can go home and pick one up on the way.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a thermostat issue to me. A new thermostat and a fresh flush with Honda OEM coolant should get it running right again.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree thermostat... is ur fan working?... what color does ur smoke?... if its clean then u dont have n leak.. if it does maybe headgastkt.... start with the thermostat..

good luck
Old 10-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if it overheats on the highway its the radiator, if its a spuratic problem it could be a bubble in your system or a bad rad. cap. I hope you know the radiator fan should be coming on when stopped for extended periods of time. Although mine rarely comes on at all.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:38 AM

Default Re: (95vxtealhatch)

Well I changed the thremostat today and the issue continues. The car doesn't smoke at all. I started to think that it might be the headgasket but the car throws no smoke at all not even when I just turn it on. I never though it could be the cap. I forgot all about it. I did buy the radiator from a junk yard and used the cap they provided with the radiator. I think I am going to pull the spark plugs out tonight to see if one of them have rust or sign of leak. But could it be the cap when the resevoir bubbles up? Can it still be the radiator. There are no leaks.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:52 AM

Default Re: (o0ohaviko0o)

Pull the radiator cap and take a look at the cores from inside the filler hole. Can you see a lot of build up? Warm it up and grab the upper radiator hose, then grab the lower hose, can you feel a significant difference is temperature? Don't let it overheat, you'll blow the head gasket. Turn the heater on full blast while you're driving, it'll help cool down the system.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:53 AM

Default Re: (Honda-Pilot)

How well did you bleed the system for air?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:37 AM

Default Re: (littleblue)

I don't think I bleed it. I just added coolant after I changed the thermostat, turned it on until the car was at operating tempeture, then turned it off. Then added more water. Is that the right way or I needed to do it again or what?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by o0ohaviko0o &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think I bleed it. I just added coolant after I changed the thermostat, turned it on until the car was at operating tempeture, then turned it off. Then added more water. Is that the right way or I needed to do it again or what?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to bleed it while the engine is running, up until you can see the water circulating.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by o0ohaviko0o &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think I bleed it. I just added coolant after I changed the thermostat, turned it on until the car was at operating tempeture, then turned it off. Then added more water. Is that the right way or I needed to do it again or what?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to pull the radiator cap and fire up the engine. As the engine warms up, two things will happen; the water level will rise because heat expands, and the water level will drop as bubbles escape from the system. So, since the water level is going to try to do both on you, you have to try to add water without it over flowing before it drops again. The way I've done this for years is by using a Spill Free funnel. You can buy them from your local tool trucks. It's basically a funnel that connects to your radiator like a radiator cap. If you don't want to spend about 40 bucks on a funnel, just try not to spill very much and add at the inlet. Dont forget to turn the heater **** to heat, and don't turn the fan on.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Change the Rad. cap. It will bubble if its bad bc the heat expands, air is getting out and it bubbles. Flush system good
Old 10-27-2008, 06:47 PM

Default Re: (Champs32)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Champs32 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Change the Rad. cap. It will bubble if its bad bc the heat expands, air is getting out and it bubbles. Flush system good</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you clarify this???
Old 10-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as in elaborate? Yes. It happened with my old car. What are the problems to overheating? Either a thermostat, radiator, radiator cap, leak, and the fan. They said its not leaking, he changed the radiator and thermostat. If the heater is runnin itll get so hot then the fan will kick on. If the heater isnt on itll get hot hot hot overheat. Thats the thermostat. If it bubbles, oxygen is getting out meaning there is a leak. If it bubbles outta the cap. . . . . . Its the cap.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:10 PM

Default Re: (Champs32)

Well here is the update. I changed the cap yesterday and drove it for about 30 minutes and nothing. I woke up to go to work and the car started over heating again. I have no clue of what it could be. At start up the car does not smoke at all so I do not think it the head gasket unless it doesn't have to smoke for it can be the head gasket. I did checked the bottom hose and it was cold as the one on top was hot.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by o0ohaviko0o &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well here is the update. I changed the cap yesterday and drove it for about 30 minutes and nothing. I woke up to go to work and the car started over heating again. I have no clue of what it could be. At start up the car does not smoke at all so I do not think it the head gasket unless it doesn't have to smoke for it can be the head gasket. I did checked the bottom hose and it was cold as the one on top was hot. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Then your coolant is not circulating BLEED IT DOOD!

Take off the cap while engine is still cold. Turn it on let it run for 5-10 min until it reaches the temp that the thermostat will open up. Fill up the radiator until its topped off, squeeze the hoses to help it get moving, put your hand over the rad to stop from spilling out (Have some paper towels handy). Then just repeat the filling until you see small white bubbles coming out and the coolant has moment to it.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:58 PM

The cap is not your problem. If you continue to overheat after you've fully bled the system, you need to do a chemical block test. You can get the tools and solution at NAPA.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:12 AM

Default Re: (Honda-Pilot)

Well I found out it is my head gasket. I pulled number1 spark plug and it had rust. It also had oil on it. So now I am thinking the head got a crack too. Hopefuly I do not need a new head. But that is the update for now. Does anyone have a DIY page to do the head gasket? I found one on the net but the pictures are all broken. I might use that guys info and just add my own pictures to do my own DIY.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:32 AM

anyone has the link to this?