Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

EF swap idle extremely rich, poor mgp

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EF swap idle extremely rich, poor mgp

Hey. I had a post on here before about my swap and I figured that one out. Now I ran into another problem. Car is getting about 10-14 to the tank. My car is running super rich. Idles about 10.7-11.4 on my wideband. On mid throttle it's 12.8-13.1 chip is from Phearable.net I emailed them and all they told me was to check my timing and my idle air control and see if it's burnt and my timing. Which it isn't burnt and my timing is set to 18.

Now today, while driving to school. My car is hesitating on the stop lights. Idle will drop from 1k to 500 then drop down if I don't put gas on it. Luckily I made it.

It's a civic hatchback si with obd1 gsr swap with bolts on and p73 pistons. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: EF swap idle extremely rich, poor mgp

Get a real tune and I bet it will solve your problems.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
Get a real tune and I bet it will solve your problems.
I figured someone would come in and say that. I still haven't found a local tuner yet. Closest is about a 2 hour drive. But if that's your only suggestion, thanks.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something to do with the swap wiring most likely. Bolt on gsr is an easy basmap that should be 90% there.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by _EF9
I figured someone would come in and say that. I still haven't found a local tuner yet. Closest is about a 2 hour drive. But if that's your only suggestion, thanks.
Where are you located? Did this start out of the blue or has it been ongoing since the swap was done?
Old 12-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
Something to do with the swap wiring most likely. Bolt on gsr is an easy basmap that should be 90% there.
My IAT sensor wire is Red/Green on my Si harness. I'm pretty sure that is the correct plug. I've talked to a representative at Phearable and they said my setup was pretty simple. Not sure what the problem is. That's why I'm here, trying to figure out my situation before moving forward.

Where are you located? Did this start out of the blue or has it been ongoing since the swap was done?
Auburn, CA.

When I first started the car, I used my old chipped z6 all motor build, just to see if it'll start. Which it did. I didn't have the wideband installed at the time to check. But I could smell fumes which I thought it was normal so I didn't bother checking. I didn't drive it much at all. After a few days, I ordered my basemap from Pherable. Installed my wideband it notice how rich it was running. I adjusted my timing to 16, then advance 18, retarded with 14 then back to 18 to see if my AFR will read differently, which it didn't. So answer to your question, I think it started since I swapped and started my car.

I know about Midnight Tuning and DNR here in Nor CAL. But for a simple setup like this, I don't know if I should get a tune. But if that is my last option, I will get my car out there. Midnight is crossed off the list already, from reading horrible reviews from them.

Hopefully this is enough details.

EDIT:
I'm running my A6 injectors if that matters. I swapped out my A6 to my RC 310 (Injectors I'm planning on using when I get a camshaft) then to my Z6 injectors but no difference on my ARF

Compression numbers from last night, dry
C1 - 225
C2 - 210
C3 - 225
C3 - 215
Old 12-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd hit up Hybridworks in Vallejo, CA

Black_dc4 is a member on here and does some tuning for them. They get nothing but awesome reviews. Only 1.5 hours from you.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd hit up Hybridworks in Vallejo, CA

Black_dc4 is a member on here and does some tuning for them. They get nothing but awesome reviews. Only 1.5 hours from you.
I've been busy with school finals and work lately. haven't gotten time to reply but I will definitely hit them up after school is done. Hopefully by the end of this month!

Last edited by _EF9; 12-13-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:59 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

What distributor are you running?

Throwing any codes?

MAP/TPS checked and good?

O2 sensor good?

Did you set your idle first and then set ignition timing?
Old 12-14-2014, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

So you say that you changed injectors and there was no change in AFRs? What size injectors are we talking here? There should definitely be a change in AFRs if you change the flow rate of the injectors without changing the tune.

The basemap is based on the injector flow rate that you provided Phearable. If you are using larger injectors than what you told them, this could be a reason for rich AFR's.

A tune will more than likely help clean up your issues. Do you have any way to log data from the ECU? If not, you can try and find someone near you that can datalog. Posting up a log might help someone help you. Could be a sensor that is out of range!
Old 12-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
What distributor are you running?

Throwing any codes?

MAP/TPS checked and good?

O2 sensor good?

Did you set your idle first and then set ignition timing?
TD44U dis. bought on Craigslist.

No codes.

Both is good. TPS is .45v if I recall. And map sensor is from my z6 I had in my car before. I believe they are interchangeable. Correct if I'm wrong here.

I'm not running O2. I'm using AEM Wideband.

I'm not sure what you mean by setting my idle first but right now timing is retarded. I didn't check with the timing light, just quickly moved it back a bit a few weeks ago. Was in a rush to get to class.

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
So you say that you changed injectors and there was no change in AFRs? What size injectors are we talking here? There should definitely be a change in AFRs if you change the flow rate of the injectors without changing the tune.

The basemap is based on the injector flow rate that you provided Phearable. If you are using larger injectors than what you told them, this could be a reason for rich AFR's.

A tune will more than likely help clean up your issues. Do you have any way to log data from the ECU? If not, you can try and find someone near you that can datalog. Posting up a log might help someone help you. Could be a sensor that is out of range!
I'm running my z6 injectors right now. I swapped it to my 310 RC injectors before but it was still running rich. Swapped it to my old a6 injectors from my original motor, still rich. Then back to my z6 and just left it. Wasn't any difference. I believe z6 and b18c1 are the both 240cc, correct? I had put my description down as I'm running B18c1 injectors when I made my order because I was going to pick up some from a guy on Craigslist but he flaked. So I ended up using my z6. I don't know if that will matter.

I am getting a tune after all my finals. Just a few weeks left. Hopefully before Christmas. I did make a TTL to USB for my ECU but I haven't yet installed any program to my laptop. Still looking on what software to install and how to use it. I've seen a few Crome diy datalogging but not sure if it'll work. Since I've never done it before. Will give it a try though when I'm free this week.

Thanks again fellas. Appreciate the help!