Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Can I do a ITB build with Water Injection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: Can I do a ITB build with Water Injection?

Originally Posted by 92TypeR
Only if you are knock limited on pump gasoline, then a higher knock resistance (high octane) will allow for higher cylinder pressures and thus more power.

For example, my motor reaches MBT at ~32* BTDC. I begin to see knock at around 36* BTDC. That means, that even if I could tune to 40* BTDC, I wouldn't gain power, because my setup likes ~32* BTDC for best torque.

E85's higher latent heat of vaporization will allow for cooler intake charge as the ethanol converts from liquid to gas phase. If you reach MBT on pump gas before knock, this is how power gains would be made using E85 on N/A setups, not from increased ignition timing.

I do not think methanol injection is ever a good idea. It seems like a band-aid method of reducing the knock characteristics of low octane fuels. If you are on the cusp of knock, a higher octane fuel is the most intelligent solution. Of course, the people running methanol/alcohol injection aren’t looking for the best solution, they are looking for the cheapest.

Water injection is even more asinine. You are injecting a non-combustible, non-compressible liquid. Please don’t.

OP - You can run 12.5:1 compression on 92 octane without sacraficing ignition advance/power, only if you run a good cam combination that allows for proper valve timing. I am running Skunk2 Pro-3's with 12.1:1 compression, and I am not knock limited with ignition timing. Choose your fuel, choose your compression, then choose your camshaft. That is the correct order.
well put!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KartelB
Wouldn't the same be true of a NA build where the compression is a bit high(12:1-12.5:1) and the water/methanol mixture is used to " curb detonation on high compression setups where the octane is less than desirable"? Would the same principle hold true? Boost and high compression in this instance create the same problems and can be corrected using the same techniques. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Originally Posted by 92TypeR
OP - You can run 12.5:1 compression on 92 octane without sacraficing ignition advance/power, only if you run a good cam combination that allows for proper valve timing. I am running Skunk2 Pro-3's with 12.1:1 compression, and I am not knock limited with ignition timing. Choose your fuel, choose your compression, then choose your camshaft. That is the correct order.
I was going to say the same thing...

Anyway, I have a 12.5:1 CP piston in my H22 motor and have run on 91 octane with no detonation problems...

When you say water/meth injection, are you talking about an intercooler spray kit or are you talking about something that is supposed to go into the intake manifold? Honestly, not a great idea IMHO, but its your car. Better gas would solve your situation. Run better gas and tune at track days and have a mild tune for the streets for lower quality gas...
Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So has anybody done this yet use itbs with water/methanol injection. i was thinking of doing that for a future project on my d series engine. ive seen itbs with nos. i guess the set up would be similar.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

run ur car on q16 with a 150 direct port lol ...