Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

block guard or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 block guard or not?

Here is my build gsr block and head. No boost planed. All motor. Stock thickness head gasket. skunk2 70mm t-body and intake manifold. Aries forged pistons with a +5 dome. Skunk2 valves, springs, retainers, pro2 cams. ARP head studs. I have a block guard but have been reading that they can cause hot spots on sleeves. Also can rattle? I tried to install the block guard with no luck. Its a very tight fit and I don't want to mess the deck up on the block. I got the block guard just because I was going to have the head off and figured it would be a good idea to get one but now I am not so sure. Looking for some input. Install block guard or forget it?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:13 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: block guard or not?

You don't need a block guard on your build. Leave it out. I wouldn't run one myself.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My build is close to yours and I will not be running one, I say don't use it.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your going to make more power than stock sleeves can handle. sleeve it.

if not your fine.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

block guard will make your motor overheat, means less coolant will go through between the cylinders, thats what happen to one of my friend fully build gsr motor, its similar to your set up, i say dont used it.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So the stock sleeves should be able to handle what I am doing to it. I forgot to that I also have a lower temp t-stat and fan switch installed on the block. If I remember correctly I think the t-stat is a 60 degrees celsius and the fan switch is an 80 degrees celsius.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by manicmechanic
So the stock sleeves should be able to handle what I am doing to it. I forgot to that I also have a lower temp t-stat and fan switch installed on the block. If I remember correctly I think the t-stat is a 60 degrees celsius and the fan switch is an 80 degrees celsius.
yea the stock sleeve will be no problems if your not going over 82mm bored, any bigger than that i consider resleeving the block, unless the car is only drag only car not daily driver but still its not a good to have a block guard, with no block guard you can still daily drive the car quiet sometime...
Old 07-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2_poojan
block guard will make your motor overheat
no. but they still suck.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea the stock sleeve will be no problems if your not going over 82mm bored, any bigger than that i consider resleeving the block, unless the car is only drag only car not daily driver but still its not a good to have a block guard, with no block guard you can still daily drive the car quiet sometime...
No the car is not my daily driver. I have a ef that is my daily driver. On nice day I can take my motorcycle into work. But for the most part the ef is my dd and winter car. Don't get me wrong I do plan to take the eg that I am building to the track at least once. One of the reasons I am building this motor is because I sold me other ef with an ls motor in it. Should have built that motor and kicking my butt for not building it.....Nothing I can do about that now.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So my question to you all would be why would big companies like Golden Eagle, Supertech. Sell such item if its not good or useful?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ef2_civic
So my question to you all would be why would big companies like Golden Eagle, Supertech. Sell such item if its not good or useful?
It has its purpose. For instance, i run one on my b20vtec. On motors with stronger sleeves like a GSR or b16 build, its not needed. It just provides a peace of mind really.

For Sleeves that can easily be distorted(b20 sleeves) its a good thing to use, if funds are tight and you just want alittle extra. Its almost to the same point as to why people run girdles. You dont really need it, but people want to run one for a peace of mind. If a motor isn't properly balanced for the rpms it will see, a girdle is a good idea for added safety for the bottom end.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:20 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's called marketing. Sell what people will buy, not what they need. If there's a buck to be made somewhere, people will make anything and tell you why you need it. I'm oversimplifying the reasoning for the block guard here but it's basically true.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00Red_SiR
It's called marketing. Sell what people will buy, not what they need.
thats exactly what made this honda scene into the way it is now. people are believed that they need this part or that part to make power etc.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I think I am going to ditch the block guard. Like I sayed when I put this post up was that I was going to have the head off. And I was thinking what the hell why not put a block guard in. But now I am not going to. I will have to get pics of the build up here soon.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id run a girdle over a block gaurd anyday.

do LS have a girdle as standard?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:05 AM
N/A
Purpose Built

No the ls doesn't but they make aftermarket ones

block guard will make your motor overheat, means less coolant will go through between the cylinders, thats what happen to one of my friend fully build gsr motor, its similar to your set up, i say dont used it.
Then it was installed incorrectly or it had another issue.a block guard just doesn't start making your engine overheat

"Fully built" lolz
Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 AM
mvm
Honda-Tech Member

It is simply a placebo.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not quite a placebo. I had my B18 a block bored for next size up pistons. The shop recommended a block guard, but I said no. I then provided a deck plate for the honing stage, and after it was in place the cylinder was out of round just enough that I had to go up to the next size piston. The shop does championship level drag cars, so they normally know their stuff - but this surprised them. They really should have waited for the deck plate before doing the bore, but they thought it would be ok.

The pertinent observation is that if just adding a deck plate distorts the cylinder so its a bit out of round, then so will bolting on the head. I authorised instalation and welding in a block guard, and then they rebored and honed it with the deck plate. Price adjusted.

For info, race orientation engine, 11.7 cr pistons before milling etc, likely to end up 12.5 cr when b16 head b18c crank and b18c rod combination and milling added.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:55 PM
Trial User

I have a D16y7, ebay turbo build, gonna have YCP pistons with the custom long rod no block notch set up. Planning to make around 400hp. Will I be safe without a block guard??
Old 12-18-2018, 10:50 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Christie
I have a D16y7, ebay turbo build, gonna have YCP pistons with the custom long rod no block notch set up. Planning to make around 400hp. Will I be safe without a block guard??
All dependent on your tuning capability and fuel used. Cylinder sleeves on that D16Y7 has had a record of supporting that power with those things.