Notices
Acura NSX Honda / Acura NSX 1990 - 2005 || Honda / Acura NSX 2017 -

Daily Driving question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Daily Driving question

Im looking into the NSX as my next car (current is a AP1). I can't really find the answers Im looking for, mainly trying to find people that daily drive their car. Or maybe the NSX being your only car?

Is there anyone here that daily drives their car (more then a 60+ miles a day, roundtrip) or have an NSX as a daily driver.

I know that the NSX is still a HONDA, but is the maintance a little more often then say the S2000, TL's ?

Thanks, and sorry for the newb questions, couldn't sign up for prime cause my email they said was something or another =(

Vic
Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Daily Driving question

Originally Posted by tmkpres
Im looking into the NSX as my next car (current is a AP1). I can't really find the answers Im looking for, mainly trying to find people that daily drive their car. Or maybe the NSX being your only car?

Is there anyone here that daily drives their car (more then a 60+ miles a day, roundtrip) or have an NSX as a daily driver.

I know that the NSX is still a HONDA, but is the maintance a little more often then say the S2000, TL's ?

Thanks, and sorry for the newb questions, couldn't sign up for prime cause my email they said was something or another =(

Vic
I dont daily drive my NSX I think I have 300 miles in 8 years no time to drive.
Anyway maintenance CAN be expensive that is what you have to be prepared for .
$2400 clutch
$1200 timming belt
really expensive AC service

But the general maintanace items are no more expensive then a normal car. If you do things yourself its not that bad.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah Im more a lil do it yourselfer I've never paid for brake jobs, fluid flushes, filter changes. I think that that kinda stuff is just common sense ! Clutch is kinda crazy priced, but you gotta pay to play right !

Thanks

I hope there are some daily guys in here.

Hey boss, how can you hardy drive you NSX. That would kill me =P
Old 08-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey boss, how can you hardy drive you NSX. That would kill me =P
Started college when I bought it. And since then just been extremly busy with work and I have many other toys that take up my time. I got rid of my street bike years ago because I never rode it and it kept getting in my way in the garage. I keep trying to convince myself to sell the NSX but can never bring myself to actually do it.

I own 4 cars and its only nice in Oregon 3 months out of the year so most of the time it sits with expired tags. I spend most of my summer wakeboarding when I have the time. I had a 92 NSX before this one that I drove the crap out of. Unfortunately thanks to a drunk driver that car expired. I'm sure someone has probably rebuilt it and its probably back on the road.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMHO is only worth to DD an NSX if you have another NSX ... no seriously, NSX's are very precious, and you only realize that once you have one, of course, all depends the state the NSX you'll buy is .... It is much worth to DD a beater and save the NSX for the weekends or maybe FRIDAYS drive to work, there's WAY too many bad drivers out there, Maintenance? well, any, i mean ANY parts for NSX' s are expensive .... all depends exactly how much respect for the marquee you have, now, if you want DD more power to you! just don't transform your NSX into another beat up NSX in the road (there's way to many raped NSX's for sale cheap now)

God luck and don't forget to post this @ NSXPrime!

Oscar
Old 08-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default ignore the bullcrap

The nsx was designed to be a daily driver and you should feel free to use it that way, if you would like. I drove one to work every day for six years.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I this whated to thore this into the mix. It's all up to you and how much you like the car. Because I know some NSX that last tell 300,xxxx miles... No joke if you take care of it. Because my dad has an 1936 ford pickup ALL STOCK (AKA) all metal no fiberglass and an flat head V8. He drives that I say 9 times a year. He never whats to take it out because when you drive an car there is always an change something can happend.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have always built my cars to be DD. my nsx is the tamest car i have had... so i drive it almost all summer unless its nasty out side. take care of it park it smart and it will last with no worries...
Old 08-18-2009, 09:51 PM
HPP

The NSX is easily a daily driver. I drive mine daily(mostly), and have a few customers that drive theirs daily as well(one year round here in MN). It is a reliable car that you can rack miles up on and not worry about it breaking the bank. Like every car(Honda), it will need maintenance, but nothing obnoxious.

BTW, I think if you make a gmail email account, that may work for Prime.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks HPP, I ended up using my work email LoL and it worked. Thanks for the info guys.

I actually have a civic sitting in the back freshly painted but no engine, I was building it as a daily so that I wouldn't have to drive my S as much, but I couldn't see myself leaving my S @ home and driving the civic.

The only time I don't mide leaving the S @ home is when I ride.

I've been doing some thinking (too much thinking) lastnite and have thought about it. I think that when I do get my NSX, it WILL be my daily. I don't see myself driving something else everyday knowing I have the NSX in the garage.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:14 AM

My friend used to daily his first NSX. It was high mileage and in fair condition. Then he sold it and bought a mint 92 white one. He never drives it.
I drive mine about once a week. Honestly. You can... but its an NSX. If you can't afford to have a daily along with an NSX. I honestly don't think you can afford an NSX.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:21 AM
H-T Order of Merit

It's all up to you. If the NSX is your only car, there are times when it might not be the best car around - like when you have to go somewhere with two or more people or a lot of stuff, or when the weather is really nasty, or when you're going to have to park it somewhere you'd rather not have such a conspicuous car (not just bad neighborhoods, either - I knew a dentist who didn't want to drive his car to work for fear his patients would feel he was overcharging them), etc. But if those aren't problems (or if you have another car for certain occasions), go for it. Just realize that you'll be paying fairly high operating costs on it, for things like tires, maintenance, tires, and tires.

Incidentally, the clutch on the NSX is not only expensive, but it doesn't last as long as on many other cars; a lot of NSX clutches last 35-50K miles, although other people find them lasting as long as 75-90K.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can have another car to DD but thats not the point. Along with my S I have 2 civic's both running and got rid of both cause I NEVER drove them only my S. I can totally understand the NSX not being practical for everyday use, but neiter is the S LoL. The trunk is a joke, and gonna get worse. I have a system going in this week =D

I KNOW im gonna catch heat for this comment, but oh well. I understand the NSX is the NSX, its more then a "car" But to me cars are ment to be driven, not kept in the garage. I put it this way, I ride a bike, I KNOW I die anyday riding to work, riding the canyons whatever, so I just wanna enjoy my life while Im still single with no children

I can understand the bad weather thing. Shoot if the forcast looks like rain for a week or 2, I'll go to my pops house and borrow one of his superdutys =P I've been doing that since HS LoL.

nsxtasy i like your subtle hints on tires LoL. I already know that feeling, My tires last me only about 10k and thats pushing it. I try to stay up on my alignments but never have time. I need to learn how to do that myself. tired it once and FAILED hard =P
Old 09-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I KNOW im gonna catch heat for this comment, but oh well. I understand the NSX is the NSX, its more then a "car" But to me cars are ment to be driven, not kept in the garage. =P

I completely agree, I cant understand these people who buy an NSX just so they can look at it in their garage. What a waste.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Funny thing is that in 3 years i've owned my S2k i put 40K miles, i used to DD the CRAP out of that car, and I am only 11 miles from work, with the NSX, when friday comes, I FEEL DOUBLE REWARDED!

:D

Oscar