Notices
Acura NSX Honda / Acura NSX 1990 - 2005 || Honda / Acura NSX 2017 -

Using an NSX as a daily driver..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using an NSX as a daily driver..

I will be coming into some money soon, and have always wanted an NSX. I will probably get one toward the middle/end of summer. My primary use of the car will be commuting to college which is about 25 miles give or take each way, and I would be doing that 4 days a week, plus other misc. trips.

My question is, how are these cars for daily drivers? Practicallity doesnt really matter to me all that much, as long as I can fit a few book bags/ shopping bags in it, which i will be able to. Are they reliable?

I am used to expensive repair costs so that really doesnt matter (i have a 1992 mitsubishi 3000gt vr4 which is my nice weather/show car/weekend car)

I am probably going to be spending between $<25k-30k max. I have more money but I am setting it aside for a house?

What should i look out for with the early model cars (91-93) since that is probably what I will be buying.. I am also looking for one with less than 3 owners, preferably all stock.

Thanks for your help
Old 05-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Using an NSX as a daily driver..

if i where you i would use the nsx as the weekend car
Old 05-03-2010, 09:40 AM
HT's TOP CHEF

I would daily a NSX. After all it's still a Honda.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:42 AM
derp resistant

given the fact that mileage plays a huge role in the resale value of an NSX, i would drive it on the weekends and buy a 500-1000 ef hatch to put the bulk of the miles on. but thats just me.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Painting Masterpieces

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Get a job, buy the house...then buy your NSX.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cc203
if i where you i would use the nsx as the weekend car
Cant do that i bought my vr4 when I was 14 and did a complete restoration on it.. could never bring myself to daily drive it.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kelsodeez
given the fact that mileage plays a huge role in the resale value of an NSX, i would drive it on the weekends and buy a 500-1000 ef hatch to put the bulk of the miles on. but thats just me.
Cant do that since i am only allowed 2 cars at my house.. Dont really care about resale either because i wouldnt sell it anytime soon.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ponyboy
Get a job, buy the house...then buy your NSX.
I already work full time at a scientific instruments company, and I go to school full time. I cant really buy a house right now since i am only 19, but I have already a bunch of money set aside for a nice downpayment on a house. Just looking to have a fun car as a daily driver at this point, instead of my 2002 si.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90lxsdn
i am only 19, .
Have you looked into the cost of insuring an NSX as a daily driver since you are only 19?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Obviously you have the money to afford this car, and I guess this isn't what you are asking for, but do you really want an NSX and a Mitsu 3000? I mean, they're just the same genre of car. If I had the funds, I wouldn't buy an Acura Integra and a Honda Civic coupe ya know? I'd want a sports car and a good daily sedan type... like a WRX.

Anyways, sorry for giving an opinion that you didn't ask for.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cody2289
Obviously you have the money to afford this car, and I guess this isn't what you are asking for, but do you really want an NSX and a Mitsu 3000? I mean, they're just the same genre of car. If I had the funds, I wouldn't buy an Acura Integra and a Honda Civic coupe ya know? I'd want a sports car and a good daily sedan type... like a WRX.

Anyways, sorry for giving an opinion that you didn't ask for.
Your opinion is welcome My mother actually has a WRX, and i have wanted one for a while, but after getting quotes on a WRX, NSX, and S2000 (the three cars i was having a tough time choosing between) the NSX was the cheapest, which is supprising lol. The reason I want the NSX and the VR4 is because I love japanesse sports cars, and I figured i cant go wrong with a honda as a daily driver (my old civic had 320k on it when i sold it, the one i have now has 155k) I have a car i can use in the snow and since i dont have any kids or anything i need to haul, practicallity isnt an issue.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Trial User

I use my 91 NSX as a daily driver for the past 7 years. It's got a >150k miles on it and the only reactive maintenance I've done on it was replacing a blown clutch after 150,400 miles last week. I just recently got a Civic as a commuter car so the NSX is no longer going to work. The best thing about driving the NSX as a daily driver is getting to drive it daily. Commuting in the Civic is just not the same. I've heard people with 250k miles on an NSX. If you want to buy it as a collectors car then get a low milage one and store it in a dark place so the plastic will not crack but what's the point. Get one drive it and have some fun.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by marksnsx
I use my 91 NSX as a daily driver for the past 7 years. It's got a >150k miles on it and the only reactive maintenance I've done on it was replacing a blown clutch after 150,400 miles last week. I just recently got a Civic as a commuter car so the NSX is no longer going to work. The best thing about driving the NSX as a daily driver is getting to drive it daily. Commuting in the Civic is just not the same. I've heard people with 250k miles on an NSX. If you want to buy it as a collectors car then get a low milage one and store it in a dark place so the plastic will not crack but what's the point. Get one drive it and have some fun.
Thanks man thats exactly what i want to hear.. and believe me it will get driven lol i probably wont want to get out of one when i get it
Old 05-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you live in a place where theres not a lot of bumper to bumper traffic then it should be fine to daily drive it. Living in so cal where we have crazy traffic and stupid drivers it would be advised to be daily driving it although some people will. It's also not a car I personally would just leave lying around since it attracts a lot of attention from the younger male crowd and of all ages. Theres a lot of people who would like to key or ding the car.....its just not worth it to daily drive it unless you can keep an eye on it all the time.

Also by the end of the day for me driving mines I get wiped out from driving.....you tend to be more focused on the road as in potholes, debris, and other drivers. So when I get home and park in the garage I am pooped. It's more of a weekend car for me personally and driving it less makes me miss driving the car.....so when I take it out its fun times.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:24 AM
Painting Masterpieces

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 90lxsdn
I already work full time at a scientific instruments company, and I go to school full time. I cant really buy a house right now since i am only 19, but I have already a bunch of money set aside for a nice downpayment on a house. Just looking to have a fun car as a daily driver at this point, instead of my 2002 si.
Well, I stand corrected. I'm supposing that there's some real estate purchasing laws governing whether you can purchase a house or not?

All I can recommend is that you get a good quality example of an NSX. Don't go low budget as, with these cars, you really do get what you pay for and I'd hate to see someone dislike a great car b/c they chose to buy a bad example.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

I daily drive mine, love it compared to my integra I drove before, way more streetable and is pretty low. Stock ride height could make it just about in to any driveway with proper driving.

I have a clean driving record, am 22, and my insurance for full coverage was only 8 dollars more a month than my wifes old 4 door integra haha

I also got 5% interest loan thru Industrail Credit Union so I say look in to every avenue prior to pulling the trigger on a purchase. If it works for you and is something you want to daily I say dont let anyone hold you back.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Id run an ek.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I daily drove my NSX for 5 years. I had very few problems; all I did was properly maintain the car. I would certainly daily drive the NSX over the VR4. The NSX is a much more reliable car in general. You talked about the prices of some other cars you were interested in, like the S2K for example. You inferred that the NSX was the least expensive of the cars you were interested in, LOL! You can pick up S2ks for ten grand all day long. You will not find any NSXs for that price.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tomcat
I daily drove my NSX for 5 years. I had very few problems; all I did was properly maintain the car. I would certainly daily drive the NSX over the VR4. The NSX is a much more reliable car in general. You talked about the prices of some other cars you were interested in, like the S2K for example. You inferred that the NSX was the least expensive of the cars you were interested in, LOL! You can pick up S2ks for ten grand all day long. You will not find any NSXs for that price.
I didnt mean car price wise, I meant insurance wise. I got quotes on the s2000, wrx, and the nsx, and the nsx was the cheapest to insure, obviously not to buy lol.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. Im keeping my eye out for a 1-3 owner car that is all stock.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

Same, my insurance was much cheaper for this car than anything else I looked at which was anywhere from STi, M3, S4 etc.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

look in a honda tuning issue a few months back. it tells you exactly what to look out for.
ill have to find which issue it is for sure though.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend Gerrard daily's his with no problems. His son won't go to school unless his dad drops him off in it. Just don't park it anywhere stupid for prolonged periods of time. (IE. mall)

I think Road and Track hailed it as the first daily-able exotic, because you could sit in traffic and it wouldn't overheat. Try that in something Italian.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LMAO! enjoy the cost of ownership of an NSX, and you live in NJ? and you want to DD it?? gonna be honest, that sounds a little, well...off
Old 05-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i like idea personnally. But it hurts to know that an NSX is purchased to be a daily commuter. In this instance i dont believe it matters in what condition the NSX is in if its being purchased for this reason. May as well by a kit-car. . .jk!
Old 06-01-2010, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've used my NSX as a daily driver for over 5 years now. It's as reliable as you would expect, but when things do break, they tend to cost much more than if it were an Accord.

Quick Reply: Using an NSX as a daily driver..