Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Preparing for Nitrous..what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 01:20 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing for Nitrous..what do I do?

Ok, so I use my car as a daily driver, so I'm not really looking into heavy internal engine modifications, but I think that using nitrous (i plan on using 50-75 shot) will increase engine wear. So my question is, what should I do to re-inforce my engine so that I can prevent this type of wear?
Old 08-13-2001, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Preparing for Nitrous..what do I do? (2k1Nighthawk)

make sure your floorboards are securely bolted down - we've all seen what can happen...
Old 08-13-2001, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You kiss your B18C5 gooood bye!

I would love Nitrous too but if your motor leans out there could be problems, very expensive problems.
Old 08-13-2001, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Preparing for Nitrous..what do I do? (Flux)

make sure your floorboards are securely bolted down - we've all seen what can happen...
LOL, Good one Flux!
Old 08-13-2001, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, so I use my car as a daily driver, so I'm not really looking into heavy internal engine modifications, but I think that using nitrous (i plan on using 50-75 shot) will increase engine wear. So my question is, what should I do to re-inforce my engine so that I can prevent this type of wear?
Keep it at 50 shot max. Maybe get a J&S Safeguard.
Old 08-13-2001, 01:27 PM
New User

Default Re: Preparing for Nitrous..what do I do? (Big Phat R)

I guess i should get a FPR and AFC w/ the j&s safeguard? Then I can dyn0tune and make sure i wont be running lean anywhere...then i'll be safe (er)? ?
Old 08-13-2001, 02:22 PM
Trial User

I heard that you can buy something called a "window switch" that will only allow Nitrous at certain RPM ranges. I am trying to actually find out who makes them and if so I might go that route. I am trying to get as many safety measures as possible.
Old 08-13-2001, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Preparing for Nitrous..what do I do? (Teken)

A good friend of mine is working with Venom to develope a NO2 system for bimmers, so he knows a lot about their stuff. They have kits that come with a computer controller that can be programmed to shoot nitros at certain RPMs, throttle positions, and **** like that. Also, this computer thingee detects a lean condition and will cut off the NO2 if necessary. Pretty trick stuff, i dont know if they make a kit like this for Honda-acura.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:08 AM
New User

Default Re: Preparing for Nitrous..what do I do? (Rob Maybach)

Sure they do.
See http://www.TargetPlanet.com/venom

To date I believe I am the only venom equipped ITR.
Haven't heard about anybody else doing this.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:13 AM
New User

Default Re: Preparing for Nitrous..what do I do? (itr--779)

DONT USE NITRUS

there is nothing you can do to prevent engine wear with juice dont use it its not worth it
Old 08-14-2001, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Preparing for Nitrous..what do I do? (slapmyfro)

Stay off the bottle, keep it real dood. NOS is for hardcore drag racing, not daily driving. Use the money to get some track time instead.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:38 AM
New User

Default Re: Preparing for Nitrous..what do I do? (slapmyfro)

Don't listen to him That is an uninformed opinion.
Really if you have the proper fuel setup and spark a small shot of juice won't hurt.
It's really no different than other types of FI.
Nitrous itself is 2 parts oxygen and 1 part nitrogen. The nitrogen is added as an ingredient to break up the air molecules and cool the air as pure oxygen would lead to an unavoidable lean condition. There are some things you MUST do to stay out of the danger zone. (running too much nitrous and not enough fuel)

Here are the basic rules.

1. Fuel pressure must be steady and consistent. It is recommended to upgrade to a more capable fuel pump, regulator, and guage to measure your fuel pressure.
The other part of fuel pressure that alot of guys forget is injector pulse width.
You can tackle this by either a) increasing the injector size, thereby increasing the maximum output, or b) go with a smart system like venom that keeps tabs on the pulse width to match the amount of nitrous injected. Zex does similar things also.
This is not that different than supercharging or turbo. With nitrous you are feeding the engine oxygen that it needs to create horsepower. In addition you must also feed the engine fuel. Higher octane fuel is recommended. If you can get 93 or 94 add a couple bottles of booster too. It cant hurt.
Remember that you make the most power when you are on the verge of leaning out. Running too rich can cause problems with your o2 sensors, spark plugs, catalytic converter and ultimately your exhaust valves. 10 psi more fuel pressure is recommended but only when you are boosting.
If you want to play it safe. You will definately feel a huge hp and torque benefit by running a smaller shot. Even 20 hp 20 tq will be enough to make a world of difference. I am very conservative. I don't plan on boosting on the street beyond the odd occasion. (say a nighttime drag race on an old back road which happens now and then but not often.) 20 hp and 20 tq will give you an additional edge.
For the track and for running the best times your car is capable of, well that is a different story. I still wouldn't run more than a 50 shot.

2. Spark: To get a proper burn you will need to have enough spark. Common sense isn't it? Upgrade your ignition system and you wont have to worry too much about the additional fuel you are dumping. (within reason)

3. Temperature
Nitrous operates optimally at certain temperatures. You should have a temperature guage on your bottle so that you can verify that it is safe to go.

4. Purge
It is safer if you purge before and after your nitrous run.
This will prevent nitrous getting stuck in the lines.

5. Turn your bottle on, only when you are going to use it.
I've seen motors blow sky high becuase there was a leaky valve and it was leaking nitrous into the intake manifold the whole time someone was waiting in line to do a run. When they turned their car on they got about half a bottle of nitrous all at once built up in their motor. Better to go zoom zoom then boom boom as they say.

6. Common sense. Don't boost for periods longer than 12-13 seconds at a time.
Dont boost in first gear as the rpms climb to quick and you could easily peg your rev limiter. Dont boost on the street. Dont screw around with your shot size once you have it optimized. Dont crave. Dont be greedy. Dont leave your bottle in your car if it is filled and drive around town with it. Dont forget to turn off your bottle warmer. Treat nitrous with respect and you will earn dividends. Mistreat it and you may pay the consequences.

7. If you are not an expert, hire one to manage your setup.
Over and out.

8. Oh and one more thing. Stay away from superhonda.org nitrous forum.
A real bunch of no nothings in there for the most part.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:42 AM
New User

Aleph. You are correct. Unless you plan on drag racing your car stay N/A and be satisfied with the R. It totally kicks ****. Improve your driving skills on the road course and through autox. Especially if $ is an issue.
However if you want an all around car that can perform not only on the streets,
the track, and the autox course, but also on the strip! Nitrous is the answer!
It's easy to pull your bottle out of the car and still run the road course.
Pulling out a supercharger or turbo charger (which have their place on a road course of course) is a different story.
It all comes down to how tunable you want your setup to be.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Nice post 799! Someone bookmark that

Unfortunately, I don't think most people have the self control to use NOS conservatively...they get hooked on it, the whole "just a little more" crack-addict thing. More power to the people who can use their brain more than their bottle, but IMO the driver needs more juice than the car, and the Type R is a bargain road-course eater. Ultimately, he's gonna do what he's gonna do, but NOS is a very over-hyped thing right now, and I don't wanna see the "What's wrong with my engine" any more than I have to Be smart about it and any mod can be a great way to go, but often people do things for the wrong reasons. Roll-bars that aren't bolted to the car are a good example of this.

[Modified by Aleph, 10:49 AM 8/14/2001]
Old 08-14-2001, 06:53 AM
New User

Default Re: Preparing for Nitrous..what do I do? (Aleph)

Thanks!
But tell me about it. Do you know how many ppl say to me?
"You seen the fast and the furious yet? You got nos!!? Just like the fast and the furious!" It's totally annoying. I even had some 12 year old ask me if I put nos in my car just to be like fast and the furious. ARGH! If I had only known I would have bolted on a turbo instead!
Old 09-10-2001, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good post. I was thinking about nitrous myself. The same way the topic starter was. I think I'll let that thought slip from my mind now though. Seems to much of a hassle unless your going to be strickly drag racing at the track.
Old 09-10-2001, 10:26 PM

Get a fuel pump and make sure you never lean out and check your plugs once after every run but since it's a single fogger check it every 2-3 days......nitrous will wear your motor down in the long run....i used to squeeze 100 shot direct port into my bone stock gsr motor for over 2 years no problems wat so ever just make sure your setup is correct..... ran a 12.7@108MPH in the gsr motor, now the motor is abused and went all motor............
Old 09-10-2001, 10:39 PM

Your gonna break it...Don't break it.