Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

NA Street JDM ITR Clutch decision help... (after reading a lot of past posts)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA Street JDM ITR Clutch decision help... (after reading a lot of past posts)

I have two problems with my current oem itr clutch.

1. Its starting to slip
2. The throw out bearing is not letting me shift at high rpm's.

So I need a new clutch that comes with a package including the clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing.

The engine is stock internally and NA (and will always be NA). The only mods are JDM itr 4-1 header, pwdjdm cf intake, ES motor mounts, and everything else shouldn't matter, or is stock.

The car is mostly a daily driver with some fun event on weekends every now and then. Its in a city too, so traffic is normal.

With this in mind, what clutch should I get? I was very happy with the oem clutch pedal feel, and even the grab. I just want something thats going to grab strong, have ok pedal feel, and last long. I have had a exedy stage 1 racing in a sohc before but thats my only aftermarket clutch experience. So far it seems like stock, exedy, or act.

My problem with stock is that it cost almost more than aftermarket unless I'm not looking in the right place...

if thats true, its between exedy and act.

exedy is nice but I'm not sure which one, stage 1 racing? stage 2? stage 1 is rated at up to like 160 or 170. so thats too little and I would have to start with a stage 2 at the min?

Act: http://www.coximport.com/store/AI4-HDSS seems to be the only option. I want to stay with a full disk clutch because they seem to be the best for daily street.

So no pucks. I have went over every post on HT that has "clutch" in the title and have read a lot. Exedy has chatter problems sometimes, and act's can break. All other clutches have too many problems to be considered from what I have read.

The engine currently has about 40K miles or so I'm told, but 2 prev owners. I have only put about 6K miles on it since I have had it. So that means there are two other people who abused this probably and I get to be the one who fixes it all.

Well, I think that it for now. Many thanks in advanced for any help.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:18 AM

clutchmasters stg 2 or stg 3. your thrust bearings and oil pump with thank you.

the act has too high of a pedal pressure causing more lateral crank pressure.

the clutchmasters has the same pressure plate pressure, but a changed fulcrum point so most of that extra force isn't transferred to the engine or to the pedal. it feels just like stock, and moves the crank no more than stock. (.0015"-.0030" the act's have been known to move the crank .050"-.090")
Old 05-16-2005, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: NA Street JDM ITR Clutch decision help... (kay_animation)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kay_animation &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With this in mind, what clutch should I get? I was very happy with the oem clutch pedal feel, and even the grab. I just want something thats going to grab strong, have ok pedal feel, and last long. I have had a exedy stage 1 racing in a sohc before but thats my only aftermarket clutch experience. So far it seems like stock, exedy, or act.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Might I recommend OEM?

-Chris
Old 05-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NA Street JDM ITR Clutch decision help... (Chris F)

I just had the ACT HDSS installed in my ITR last weekend, along with the ES motor mounts. I LOVE this setup. I daily drive my car, and the clutch is fine. Pedal pressure feels like stock, but when you shift, you can feel the thing grab like crazy. My only gripe is that the clutch kit is a little more expensive than other "equivalent" brand's kits...I think I paid $420 for it.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Re: NA Street JDM ITR Clutch decision help... (ebelp)

ACT get's my vote. But the XT-SS is a bit extreme Next one will be the HD-SS
Old 05-16-2005, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It terms of pedal force and the feel it all really depends what your used to. I drove a 6 puck around with an act max extreme pressure plate. It sucked at first but got used to it and it was nothing. The pressure plate doesn't have to be on that can handel 400 ft/lbs of torque since your leaving your motor pretty much stock. I would recommend something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33730
Old 05-16-2005, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NA Street JDM ITR Clutch decision help... (ebelp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ebelp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just had the ACT HDSS installed in my ITR last weekend, along with the ES motor mounts. I LOVE this setup. I daily drive my car, and the clutch is fine. Pedal pressure feels like stock, but when you shift, you can feel the thing grab like crazy. My only gripe is that the clutch kit is a little more expensive than other "equivalent" brand's kits...I think I paid $420 for it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct, thats the price I'm finding for it as well but was not sure why its so high compaired to its counterparts. The ES inserts are crazy as well. I don't know if I love them or hate them yet. Its like you love them above 1K rpm's but in idle/stop lights, I have this rattle somewhere behind the glove box, deep inside the black box thing back there thats going to make me take my car apart to find it. Or I'll start cutting the car off at lights

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris F &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Might I recommend OEM?

-Chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

But from where? Stock after you piece everything together costs almost more than aftermarket replacements.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SecretAgent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clutchmasters stg 2 or stg 3. your thrust bearings and oil pump with thank you.

the act has too high of a pedal pressure causing more lateral crank pressure.

the clutchmasters has the same pressure plate pressure, but a changed fulcrum point so most of that extra force isn't transferred to the engine or to the pedal. it feels just like stock, and moves the crank no more than stock. (.0015"-.0030" the act's have been known to move the crank .050"-.090")</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds good, where's a good place to buy these from?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bbasso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ACT get's my vote. But the XT-SS is a bit extreme Next one will be the HD-SS </TD></TR></TABLE>

So this clutch is pretty mild then as far as pedal pressure.

Will an exedy stage 1 clutch do anything good for me? I mean I know its nice overall from my last experience, but 170hp rating is scaring me for an engine that makes close to that stock.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (citrus3000psi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by citrus3000psi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It terms of pedal force and the feel it all really depends what your used to. I drove a 6 puck around with an act max extreme pressure plate. It sucked at first but got used to it and it was nothing. The pressure plate doesn't have to be on that can handel 400 ft/lbs of torque since your leaving your motor pretty much stock. I would recommend something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33730</TD></TR></TABLE>

So this seems to be a good clutch for my application then. I was staying away from puck clutches because I read it was overkill for my setup. Being NA, close to stock, and daily. Is there a place that has these for a good price but is a real online store like http://www.coximport.com or something? I wanted to say away from ebay because they were having problems with counterfit oem clutches being painted and sold as act clutches. So ebay might be out.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kay_animation)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kay_animation &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I wanted to say away from ebay because they were having problems with counterfit oem clutches being painted and sold as act clutches. So ebay might be out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

With my ebay link I was in no way imply buying that from there, its eaiser to just look things up. I don't really know of any places; I got my plate and 6 puck from a local performance shop.

Really the cheapest place your going to find a clutch is not online. Alot of preformance places have shity shity websites and everybody seems to stear away from these places. but if you call you sometimes will get very good prices.

Just go here find some places and start calling to see who can give you the best deal. http://www.advancedclutch.com/dealer/index.asp
Old 05-16-2005, 09:56 AM
FSAE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the Exedy stage 2 for my setup. A friend of mine has this clutch and it feels just a tad stiffer than the stock clutch, with 70% more clamping force. Plus it is a sprung disc so it offers a fairly smooth engagement for a 3-puck. Not to mention Exedy is made by Daikin, so you can relly on the OEM quality.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92TypeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92TypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just got the Exedy stage 2 for my setup. A friend of mine has this clutch and it feels just a tad stiffer than the stock clutch, with 70% more clamping force. Plus it is a sprung disc so it offers a fairly smooth engagement for a 3-puck. Not to mention Exedy is made by Daikin, so you can relly on the OEM quality.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct me if im wrong but are some/all of acura clutches made by exedy...I read this a long time ago so it might not be accurate..

-Dan
Old 05-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by citrus3000psi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Correct me if im wrong but are some/all of acura clutches made by exedy...I read this a long time ago so it might not be accurate..

-Dan</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I heard, but if its true, why does everybody have the chatter in the clutch when its cold or when their on the clutch at a stand still in 1st gear? You would figure that an oem clutch would at least perform oem...

So it looks like its going to be act. Yay, 400.00 more to the car. I'll never have a condo.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: NA Street JDM ITR Clutch decision help... (kay_animation)

info here: http://www.clutchcityonline.com/act1.htm
Old 05-16-2005, 10:48 AM
FSAE

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by citrus3000psi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Correct me if im wrong but are some/all of acura clutches made by exedy...I read this a long time ago so it might not be accurate..-Dan</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. All OEM clutches are made by Daikin, which is the manufacturing facility that makes the Exedy clutches. So in essence, they are both built by the same company.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kay_animation &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats what I heard, but if its true, why does everybody have the chatter in the clutch when its cold or when their on the clutch at a stand still in 1st gear? You would figure that an oem clutch would at least perform oem...

So it looks like its going to be act. Yay, 400.00 more to the car. I'll never have a condo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

An OEM clutch will perform like an OEM clutch, but when you get a 3-puck lightweight disc its hardly OEM. There is a lot of resonance that goes through the drivetrain, and most of it gets absorbed, however, with a lightweight disc you will get chatter, thats just how it works. Its not harmfull, just a little annoying. This will happen with an ACT 3 puck, Clutchmasters, Exedy...if the disc is light, it cannot absorb those resonance frequencies. A lightweight flywheel only enhances the chatter.

I'd also add the ACT pedal feel is much more stiff than the stock pedal feel, while the Exedy is just a hair stiffer than stock. The ACT does have more clamping force, but unless you plan on boosting, it wont make any difference on your setup either way.

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92TypeR)

So this clutch:

ACT Clutch Kit: AI4-HDSS
http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/AI4-HDSS

has a stiffer pedal feel than this clutch:

Exedy Thick Cerametallic Single Plate Clutch: 08950B
http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/EX08950B

These were my final two choices and I was just about to order the ACT Clutch.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:53 AM
FSAE

The Exedy has a clamping force ~70% greater than stock.

The ACT HD pressure plate claims to be around the 50% area, but definately feels stiffer than the Exedy.

The numbers might not back up what I'm saying, but from personal experience, the Exedy has a near stock pedal feel with near stock engagement feel, whereas the ACT is more stiff, and has a quicker engagement.

Whatever suits your style the best. I've had good experiences with both ACT and Exedy, so either one will work good for your application.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:00 PM

I had the Exedy Cerametallic Single Plate Clutch And it was done in 11k miles. I would never use it again.

ACT Clutch Kit: AI4-HDSS
Is what I'll use when I need another clutch.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: (Bbasso)

I have ACT HDSS in my ITR swap right now nothing but good things.
I have friends with ITR swaps with Exedy St.1 nothing but good things.
One other friend has a Toda Stroker B16 with Sk2st2 cams and an Exedy St2, he loves it. It is a puck clutch, but it is sprung, so it is still streetable.

I had an RPS before the ACT
Old 05-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Viper8L488)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Viper8L488 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have ACT HDSS in my ITR swap right now nothing but good things.
I have friends with ITR swaps with Exedy St.1 nothing but good things.
One other friend has a Toda Stroker B16 with Sk2st2 cams and an Exedy St2, he loves it. It is a puck clutch, but it is sprung, so it is still streetable.

I had an RPS before the ACT </TD></TR></TABLE>

Alright, thanks all for the help. ACT it is, I'm ordering right now.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I now have a Exedy stage 2 thick, and I don't like the chatter, but I like the grip, and the fact that it has a sprung center. But I have used many ACT HD-SS, and I love em, if I had more $$$ when I ordered my Exedy, I would have ordered an HD-ss or XT-SS!!!

If you are ordering a HD-SS you will love it! I wouldn't put oem in if it was free!