Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Help ITR cluster: gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ITR cluster: gas gauge

I just got an ITR cluster and it is great, but the only problem is that the gas gauge doesn't seem to work. Is there any way to fix it?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Help ITR cluster: gas gauge (5po0n_Dc2)

Didn't your car come with a gauge cluster from the factory??
Old 01-06-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Help ITR cluster: gas gauge (Bbasso)

yea but i sold my old one and bought another one (lower mileage). Everything is coo except that the gas gauge doesn't work, i don't know why.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5po0n_Dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea but i sold my old one and bought another one (lower mileage). Everything is coo except that the gas gauge doesn't work, i don't know why.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Illegal
Old 01-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5po0n_Dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea but i sold my old one and bought another one (lower mileage).</TD></TR></TABLE>

You gotta be kiddin me.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help ITR cluster: gas gauge (1GreyTeg)

WOW....I'm speachless

If it is a JDM cluster though the wiring is mixed up if you take the green mesh off the back of the USDM cluster and swap it with the JDM it will work perfectly. Lemme guess when you unbuckle your seat belt the gauge goes to full? and when you buckle it goes to empty? if this is right thats the prob if not who knows.

and WTF are you tryin anyways.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5po0n_Dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea but i sold my old one and bought another one (lower mileage). Everything is coo except that the gas gauge doesn't work, i don't know why.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have fun with that Carfax report when you sell the car

Oh! And the fact that odometer rollbacks are illegal.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you own an ITR and sold your original ITR cluster for one with lower mileage, you're an idiot. i won't be the first to tell you too.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help ITR cluster: gas gauge (Splat)

Funny thing. I have a JDM ITR cluster in my car so that the mileage does appear diff. (I didn't really think bout it when I bought the cluster, never saw anything come up). I still tell everyone the REAL mileage though, 103,XXX. I saved the stock cluster and saved in my records the mileage of the new cluster at start. So for me if anyone wants to buy it and read in MPH (I like the KPH and got used to it fine), I they will know.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Splat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh! And the fact that odometer rollbacks are illegal.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

As far as illegal goes it gets interesting. I talked to the insurance company about it when I did think bout the mileage and had made a small claim. They came looked at the mileage (kilometers) and wrote down the car had 56,000 miles, not paying attention and obviously not thinking to bother bout the cluster. I didn't want anything to happen in the future and get accused of fraud so I told them what I did and they said thank you for the correction in mileage, I said why I got the cluser (I said it looked good... I didn't know what they would say if I said for the 10K tach ). Apperantly SWAPPING clusters is not illegal, almost like a part that might be damaged in something such as a brick through the window. The thing that is illegal is tampering with the actual odometer itself. Although OBVIOUSLY they have the same goal. Maybe a loophole? But even if it you should NOT use it to exploit people.

If anyone knows the actual law behind this please update me because I do not want to lead people on and cannot find anything on the MI SOS website about it.

Plus

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Splat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Have fun with that Carfax report when you sell the car

</TD></TR></TABLE>

and anyone can add up that the car does not go from 70K to 50K and back to 70K

Old 01-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

Default Re: Help ITR cluster: gas gauge (Nytemare)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nytemare &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The thing that is illegal is tampering with the actual odometer </TD></TR></TABLE>

In North Carolina, although I don't have the statute in front of me, the law is phrased such that misrepresenting the mileage is illegal, unless the car is a certain # of years old. So that would cover a cluster swap.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help ITR cluster: gas gauge (Splat)

In North Carolina, although I don't have the statute in front of me, the law is phrased such that misrepresenting the mileage is illegal, unless the car is a certain # of years old. So that would cover a cluster swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmmmm I dunno. I mean "misrepresntation" is under the pretext of fraud. I know that actually tampering with odometers is illegal not just rolling them back. Which includes rolling them forward if your cluster were to get damaged somehow (I.E. ******* and brick through window). So I KNOW that they can't turn a new cluster forward either (how many 53,586 clusters has a dealer ever sold to a guy who needed a new one). I believe that by "misrepresentation" they mean with the intent of causing fraud. So as long as you tell the person you are selling it to the actual mileage and why you should be in the go. Because you aren't commiting fraud at all in that case. Plus most people in this situation know now that weather or not it was claimed the car was A: in an accident or B: they are being lied too.

As far as the JDM cluster goes I'm sure ANYONE who looked at my teg and the list of mods would KNOW what they were buying first hand.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

open mouth-insert foot. come on. i would bet ANYTHING that has to do with a guage cluster and miles is illegal. having a jdm cluster in your car is illegal. why do you think they make motorx swap out the clusters (or speedos) for MPH on skylines (i think i heard that). we all know it is not a good idea. and we all do it. (or want to) JUST DONT GO INTO AN OPEN FORUM AND TELL PEOPLE ITS CAUSE YOU WANT LOWER MILES ON YOUR CAR!!!

idiot
Old 01-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help ITR cluster: gas gauge (justahobbie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by justahobbie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

idiot</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA exactly

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by justahobbie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i would bet ANYTHING that has to do with a guage cluster and miles is illegal. having a jdm cluster in your car is illegal.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you would be out some money then because I KNOW it isn't or else the insurance company woulda told me to put it back in... or the officer that when I got clocked and pulled over saw my cluster and was wondering why it was in KPH and I explained... he didn't say a damn thing.

why do you think they make motorx swap out the clusters (or speedos) for MPH on skylines (i think i heard that).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well MotoRex is a licensed "manufacturer" such as Saleen. They are required to follow all production laws (I.E. having the car read in MPH). They do a recalibration of the ECU I believe so the car will read the KPH in mph. But then it is STILL wrong because if you look at it looks like 20000 kilometers that is actually 10000kilometers and 10000miles which TECHNICALLY is tampering with the odometer. For the fact that you are slowing how fast the odometer turns which is "tampering." Plus you TOTALLY contradicted yourself by saying swapping clusters is illegal then saying Motorex swaps out the clusters... which would be illegal if that is what they did (which they do not).

There are MANY ways to fool the odometer. Get a LARGE profile tire? know what happens the car reads the speed slower even though you are traveling the same distance (the odometer reads what the tires say nothing else... in teg's at least). Also changing the wheel speed sensor to read at .62 for every 1 rotation is making the skyline legal... but tampering.

The ONLY way I KNOW it is illegal is to A: crack open the odometer and roll it back and B: actually lie about the mileage of the car. That is fraud, not replacing a part.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK-so for the most part I stand corrected. I don't want to argue, I don't doubt that you probably know more than me. I just think that any modification to the guage cluster that will alter miles wether it be a rollback or a new cluster with different miles is illegal. I'm sure it depends on the state but I don't know so I will drop it.

I knew that Motor X was a manufactuer of sorts, and I may be wrong again, but I think I got from their website that they have to change out the kph guage (maybe not the whole cluster) with a mph guage. Maybe it's only because as a manufactuer they have to by law sell the vehicle with a mhp guage? I don't know. I believe that insurance companies don't know **** and I'll leave it at that. To be honest I bet the cop was sketchy on the situation so he didn't argue it.

Anyway, I know I didn't back up my statement that I don't want to argue. I'm actually inrested in finding out the truth now. But my main point was that I thought the guy was an idiot for comming on here with the statement he did. We all knew what that was.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help ITR cluster: gas gauge (justahobbie)

But my main point was that I thought the guy was an idiot for comming on here with the statement he did. We all knew what that was.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-09-2005, 06:53 PM

If I swapped it with the "green mesh" off a LS cluster, would it still work?

*** And for all the people out there... I sold my old one because it had a crack in it and someone offer me to buy it, so I sold it and bought a new one. There is nothing wrong or illegal in what I did.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States

in NY if your car is 10 yrs old, mileage is waived
Old 01-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help ITR cluster: gas gauge (MugenHonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5po0n_Dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I swapped it with the "green mesh" off a LS cluster, would it still work?

*** And for all the people out there... I sold my old one because it had a crack in it and someone offer me to buy it, so I sold it and bought a new one. There is nothing wrong or illegal in what I did.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dunno, you'd have to look at the wiring. I'd ASSUME that the wiring for the cluster is the exact same on USDM cars so yeah prob, if you are doing any JDM to USDM conversion it should work (open door light will = seat belt with this set up btw).